Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Post Pics of Your Figures and Models--If You Dare!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Pics of Your Figures and Models--If You Dare!

I noticed several threads discussing various models of fantasy figures. I'd be interested in seeing photos of peoples' work. I think I recall that Mike also has a figure collection of some kind?

Here are a few pics from my collection. I am interested in 1/144 airliners and 1/72 experimental and combat aircraft from the 40s to the early 60s, though I haven't been building many combat planes recently, alas. I've never built a figure (except for an Aurora Batman and several Godzillas back in the day). However, I am interested in the medium. Here are my airliners:

Let's see your work!

ah man...I miss model-building. I've been meaning to get back into it, but I have to resupply and that takes a few hundred dollars I don't have to spend. I was an avid model-builder for a few years when I was in elementary and middle school then I started playing D&D and that took up all my time and money instead. I never took pics of any of my models, and I kinda' regret that now since they're all gone; destroyed by malicious elder brothers or curious cats. Mostly I worked with 1:48 scale aircraft, predominately WWII warbirds, with a few others mixed in...an F-15, a F-4...and some 1:72, four 1:32 (P-47D, P-38J, and F4U-1D each of which I also had in 1:48, and an FW-190). I built the Mighty Mo' (USS Missouri) and the Cutty Sark. Plus several cars.

I was fairly decent. Not the greatest, but adequate. The last year I built I swept the local County Fair's Model competition for the 12-17 age catagory (I was 14). I took first place in all three catagories, aircraft (1:48 scale Spitfire Mk.V), Ships (I had re-finished the Mighty Mo'), and automobiles (my Cobra).

1:48 F/A-18, F-15, F-16, F-4, F-104, F6F, F4U-5, B-24, B-17 (x2, F and G), B-29, P-40E, P-38J, P-47D, P-51D, P-61, AH-64, Spitfire Mk.V, A6M, TBF/M, FBD.

1:72 SR-71, Spitfire Mk.II, F-105, AV-8A, B-17F, and this bizzare Testors kit of a supposed F-19 Stealth.

1:144 B-52H

1:25 & 1:24 Days of Thunder "City Chevorlet" Lumina, '68 Camaro, '69 GTX, '69 GTO, '70 Chevelle, '55 Ford truck, '91 Ford F-250.

1:18 Shelby/Ford AC Cobra

Misc Sales Cutty Sark, Missouri, Red October and Dallas.

I may be forgetting a couple.

I plan on getting back into it eventually. When I do, I'll mostly likely start with something I'm familiar with...a B-17 most likely. I'd like to build a few first and second generation jets; an Me.262, a MiG 15, and an F-86 at least. Most of all, I want to rebuild my entire WWII collection and then some. I never got around to building a DeHaviland Misquito like a I wanted, or an Me.109. I'd also like to to build all four variants of the P-38: the early streamlined versions, the standard P-38J or L, the Pathfinder variant and the Nightfighter variant. Plus I'd really like to build some other british planes...Hurricane, a couple Spit's, a Typhoon and a Tempest at least. Also, I think I may build an A-10 for a friend's dad who used to be the Ground Chief for the squadron of them at Nellis AFB. I'd paint them up with that squardron's markings and all that.
    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I miss that too. I found that to be terribly relaxing; I was single and childless then, though!!!

Comment

Bill, how old are you children? I know that my dad used to build Models when he was younger, but stopped. Then when I got into it we would often spend time together working on them, each working on our own kit but it was still great. In fact, I think he and I spent more time together getting dizzy on the fumes of model cement and paint thinner than at any other time before or since :lol:

Maybe, if you're kids are old enough (and interested) it could work the same for you.
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

My daughter is three; but you raise a good point. It would be awesome if she was interested in that. Time spent with my child, no TV, creative, with something to show at the end (and model cement fumes; but I won't tell her about that yet).

Comment

hey, if she likes oragnes you can always get the non-toxic stuff...it smells like orange. :lol:
            --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

What fun is that? I probably spent the better part of my teenage years whacked on model glue and didn't even realize it.

Seriously, they have a citrus based glue now? Is it less toxic as well? That would be a big selling point.

Comment

I don't really know if it's citrus based or not, but it is advertised as "Non-Toxic." Testors puts it out and it erally DOES smell like oranges. 8)
                --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Acrylic paints such as Testors' Acryl and Poly Scale lines make modeling even easier--water wash up and no smell.

You can bring those modeling costs way down:

First: there are a lot of inexpensive models available--on e-bay, but also in your local hobby shops. There was a period when I usually went into a hobby shop and dug around until I found the cheapest model on the shelves, for example, a 1/72 Matchbox Spitfire Mk IX for $4.00, and a 1/72 KP Mig-19 for $3.50. And I found these in Manhattan!

Second: instead of hobby paints, go to the craft store and get those little bottles of acrylic paints--they are about a $.98 a piece for three or so ounces. They are essentially water colors and you can't mask over them (even with an overspray, the tape will pull the paint off the model) but I found this encouraged me to learn how to paint straight lines with a brush. Working with these paints and the model box art, I also learned to mix fairly accurate shades and tones, which is fun. Point is, you can bring the price way down.

Anyway, anyone build figures? I was hoping to see some pics?

Comment

Well, I had considered doing that...getting cheeper paints and all of that...but the fact of the matter is that when I do get back into building, I have some techniques I'd like to try that may be kinda' expensive. Plus, my old airbush was a cheap one that has since broke, so I'm going to spend a few hundred on a new one.

As for figures, I've never done any, but several friends of mine are into Warhammer; which is a minatures strategy war game. They paint their own figures and generally it's pretty impressive, I'll see if I can get some pics for you.
                    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Working...
                    X