Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Roleplayers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roleplayers....

To Mike and other curious and allegedly accidental sentient and prescient molecular conglomerations....

I was just wondering whether as a man with a considerable amount of leisure time on his hands (one would hope) whether you do any roleplay? To everyone else - the same question - only with less 'Mike' in it....

I ask because age 30'something I still do - and with other mature individuals. I started with 'Rune Quest' becuase it was the first realistic(ish) 'cause and effect' rules system and we were all fanatical Hawkwind fans and had read your books - we so liked the ideas about law and chaos that they had purploined from your novels.

Ever since I have enjoyed practicing the hobby with other mature and intelligent adults (sic), and have enjoyed building worlds, cultures and plotlines much in the way an author does - albeit with a live and interactive cast. I was amused by Mike's comment on the relationship between the characteristics of hot chocolate and modern fantasy fiction - it reminded me of why I enjoy roleplaying so much - as a buddhist and armchair philosopher with a couple of degrees in an 'ology' I get to play with all kinds of elements and ideas for which the forum of fantasy fiction and the freedom of roleplay provide an almost limitless arena.

I don't need to trawl through derivative and formulaic shite to find the good stuff - I 'write' it myself....

Anyway - I ramble - I only asked because I had the opportunity to speak to Terry Pratchett at a book signing a few years ago and he told me he runs a roleplay game himself. He said that he enjoyed it for very much the same reasons - the ability to create, test and refine whilst enjoying what you have created.

Anyway - would love to hear what you guys think on it - I am sure there are one or two of you hidden about the place - fess up!

I cannor answer for MM .... but from many posts, i can deduce that many forumists are/ were roleplayers .....

I began to role play in February 1981 ........

ADD first, then many others games ........

Nowadays, i play a little less than once a week, half of the time as GM. Since 2003, i lead a campaign in the world of Conan ( 400 years after his departure - rules loosely derived from Gurps )

i hope the answer is enough .

Comment

I used to roleplay quite a bit. AD&D, mostly

Then, our gaming group fractured (people moving out of state with jobs), and now I flat don't have time.

Plus, RPGing always included, for me, a certain amount of aggravation for me, and now I get enough aggro at work.

Plus plus, I'm not willing to spend the $$$$ to keep up with the latest editions of the games, that seem to come out every couple of years. (D&D, anyway. Wizards of the Coast is far more greedy than TSR ever was)
      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer
        I used to roleplay quite a bit. AD&D, mostly

Then, our gaming group fractured (people moving out of state with jobs), and now I flat don't have time.

Plus, RPGing always included, for me, a certain amount of aggravation for me, and now I get enough aggro at work.

Plus plus, I'm not willing to spend the $$$$ to keep up with the latest editions of the games, that seem to come out every couple of years. (D&D, anyway. Wizards of the Coast is far more greedy than TSR ever was)
        i buy one or two books a year ... the old ones are a little used but usable .....

Comment

Here's Mike on his involvement with role-playing games:

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
          Nope. I wrote the role-playing game which became Silverheart, but I've never played one in my life. Nothing against them at all, I'm just not much into games of any kind -- except maybe poker and 'Sorry'...
          Cf. http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?p=59065
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I started playing RPGs , oh, way back when I was 16, about 1981ish.

I played in an Ad&D capaign.

The first RPG I ran was Stormbringer, 1st edition, which was great fun.

I also ran AD&D later.

Then some years later I started running Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Vampire and a few miscellaneous games.

These days I run HARP (High adventure roleplaying, by Iron crown Enterprises, makers of Rolemaster).
            However, I also play in a Star Wars Campaign, using the hero system, so a very homebrew RPG.

My friends and I play every Thursday, I just make time to play, although it can be hard to squeeze in soemtimes.

Comment

Cheers

Thanks for the responses guys - and thanks for the insert on Mike's take on such things.

I would have predicted such a thing considering the thread I recently read on here regarding Mike's habit of putting story well ahead of setting in terms of detail and realised interaction.

I for one have done it both ways myself when running games - but prefer these days to have a well-realised world in which I can set the various dynamic elemnets which act as the engine to the plotline -one which after the preparation put in doesn't require micromanagement.

Anyway - I'd welcome more posts - keep em coming

Comment

Unsurprisingly, I can say that I'm also an ex AD&D player/DM, who started in 1982 (with the basic D&D box set and about five friends). Perhaps surprisingly, I started after playing in a LARP game, and watching other people playing during 'out of character' periods.
                A bunch of us went to a castle in NW england near Chester in 1982 (Peckforton), after seeing a photo report of the place in a national sunday paper magazine. Helluva lot of fun! There was a 'Tavern' where RPGs were regularly played by characters waiting to go on their quests. I'd modelled figures and wargamed until then.
                My games seemed popular, at one stage I had fifteen players around the table, which was hellish! Half a dozen is my optimum number of players - enough to provide freshness of ideas, a selection of types and alignments, and not so many that each turn becomes a trial!
                I found that the best games we had were those that gave a basic framework, where they started, what the point of the adventure was, who was in the party etc. and then left it to the players to make it up as they went along. Has anyone reading ever used 'The Teeth of Dahlver Nar'? One bunch of mates played my game for eighteen months, collecting the full set between them. I was reduced to tears of both laughter and frustration, many times, during that series of adventures. I'd recommend, as a good start to a long adventure, that you send the party off into the world with a short list of known owners of individual teeth. They have to recover them and discover clues to the whereabouts of the rest of the toothy set. The DM can have fun with the owners of each tooth, your imaginations can show you why, when you look at the list of toothy powers available! You can be really mean and vicious, and have them searching during wartime, adding extra dangers and pitfalls along the way, hah hah, snigger.....
                Most folks I've met started tabletop first before moving onto live action, I often get things backwards!
                He's well smoked

Comment

Another roleplayer here.

Started out in '80-something with an Italian game called "I Signori del Chaos".

Them moved on to "Call of Cthulhu" (still a fave with the team) and "Stormbringer", both as player and as a game keeper.
                  Then played all the rest - all of them, more or less.
                  Or that's how it feels

Still gaming two nights per week with a bunch of friends - we've been playing together twenty years.
                  We write our own stuff, but we also like to try new systems/universes.
                  Preferred genres - hard science fiction or oriental fantasy.
                  Go figure.

Comment

I used to role-play a lot too, with other kids from school. We started off with AD&D, then got heavy into Vampire and the other White Wolf games. All good fun, and as a drama student and writing-type I greatly enjoyed the creative elements, as well as the comic book swapping we'd do beforehand! It inspired later writing in a slightly peculiar way though... basically all the other players were very serious. When creating characters their priorities would be "How hard can I hit things?" and "How much leather can I wear?". They wanted the most lethal and cool killing machines that the dice would allow, whereas I was more of the comedy sidekick guy. I just liked making inappropriate jokes... and my characters generally dropped like flies. Either the villains would kill me, or my "allies" would! So, as a writer with total control over my fictional universe, I like to tilt the odds in favour of the characters who sort of slouch along and get things wrong and make bad jokes. See what they could have done if they hadn't been placed with such a rowdy bunch of psychopaths.

It always frustrated me that in the rule books it said "You can play any style of game you like...", but we always ended up having to save the city/world/universe from big, bad scary monsters. There was never a lot of room for subtlety or political stuff. Also some of the other players were practicing martial artists, and knew far more about fights than I did... I'd just say "I'll kick the troll", and they'd want me to specify how I was kicking him. What specific sort of kick, and where on his body, and then they'd mock me if I suggested something they knew to be ineffective against such an opponent. Damn them!

Er, so I have a lot of bitterness about that, apparently.

I must have been quite an annoying player (aside from the jokes) though because I never remembered the systems, or which dice to roll when. That's probably why I liked the WhiteWolf games so much, because it was all based around the D10, and easy to read dots on the character sheet. None of that confusing THAC0 stuff to contend with.
                    Last edited by DeeCrowSeer; 02-12-2007, 12:25 PM.
                    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I first did Role Playing in about 1978 (I think). Metamorphosis Alpha. Since then - D&D, AD&D, Traveller, Chivalry and Sorcery, Runequest, Call of Cthulhu, Host a Murder (well I reckon they count....), Steve Jackson's Fantasy Trip, GURPS, Universe, Dragonslayer.... Eventually it got to the point where our group gave up on rule systems pretty much altogether. We played a pretty much unstructured game where we improvised our own hybrid systems that minimised dice throws and random elements all together. The referee would create a environment and map out the basics of a story which the players would then inhabit... We never really did open ended campaigns this way - more novels.... But the environments might carry over from story to story...
                      Last edited by Groakes; 02-12-2007, 01:13 PM.
                      Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                      Bakunin

Comment

I am a dedicated role-player. Been gaming for... 20 years (ouch... already). I played and ran dozens of different RPGs, and most notably (A)D&D all editions, including the current 3.5, Stormbringer, Hawkmoon, RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, a whole host of French RPGs (INS/MV, Bloodlust, Nephilim...), Cyberpunk, Star Wars d6 and d20, and so on, so forth.

I'm still gaming today. I'm running a D&D 3.5 game set in the fantasy city of Ptolus, and plan on running a Star Wars Saga campaign next year. The new Stormbringer and Hawkmoon RPGs for the Mongoose RuneQuest system being close on my "to-play/GM" list.

Comment

I did 'solo' RPGing via those Fighting Fantasy & Lone Wolf etc "Choose your own adventure" books. Of course now there's the likes of Elder Scrolls Oblivion.
                          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

+1

Present player and GM (since 1980), and currently developing an RPG line: Guild Houses of Blood.
                            Friends with Ken St. Andre and Liz Danforth of Tunnels & Trolls/ BLADE / Flying Buffalo, Inc.
                            Last edited by Kyrinn S. Eis; 08-24-2007, 11:03 PM. Reason: Name dropping, how gauche!
                            Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Yeah, another long-term gamer here across a host of systems. I am pretty sure that it was the "Inspirational and Educational Reading" section at the back of the 1st edition Dungeon Master's Guide that got me started on Mike's writing. All it said was this:
                              Originally posted by DMG p224
                              Moorcock, Michael. STORMBRINGER; STEALER OF SOULS; "Hawkmoon" Series (esp. the first three books)

From such simple beginnings do lifelong passions spring .
                              The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Working...
                              X