Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

PS3, Xbox or Wii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3, Xbox or Wii?

Surprised we don't have a thread like this here.
    anyway.
    Which one have you got or will buy soonish?

Vote!
    PS3
    0.00%
    Xbox360
    21.43%
    Wii
    57.14%
    More than one of these (post)
    21.43%

I've spent half my week hunting throughout Massachusetts. No luck so far, so I'm getting up at 3:30 tomorrow to get to a Black Friday sale at my local mall. Wish me luck.

I already have a copy of the new Zelda sitting on my shelf; I just need the console to play it. As it stands now, that beautiful shrinkwrapped game is mocking me.

Comment

I collect computers, consoles and such, so I will eventually own all three of them. However, the PS3 is probably the one that I will spend most of my time on (at least untill I finish building my mame cabinet).
      My signature is

Comment

I probably won't buy a PS3.
        I don't really see any games for it that grabs me and it's too expensive.
        Maybe when it gets a lot cheaper and there are good games for it.

The Xbox360 would be tempting, but mostly for Kameo and Gears of war.

However, what with having young kids, I will probably get the Wii.
        Mostly coz they do great kids games and the weird controller looks like fun.
        Last edited by danskmacabre; 11-28-2006, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Hello,

My PS2 just quit on me before I finished Medal od Honor Rising Sun.

I am not going to get a new system as the computer is enough entertainment for me! haha.

I suggest the Nintendo Wii because I hear good things about it.

-plus rumor has it that there will be a Star Wars lightsabre game for it.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Where's the poll option for "Consoles? We dont need no steenking consoles!"
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Yeah, this is a very console centric thread.
              But I was more interested in the competition between the latest consoles.

Most people own PCs anyway and will own one whether they buy a console or not.
              Plus PC games are a very different type of market.
              Last edited by danskmacabre; 11-28-2006, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I ended up getting a Wii (which is good, as I would have been annoyed if I had gotten up at 3:30 for nothing). Wii Sports is fun; even my brother who despises games enjoyed playing it. Who knows... I might even be able to get my parents playing. Zelda is one of the best games I've ever played; I think it's worth the price of the system. I'd probably be playing it now if it weren't for the fact that I left the Wii at home so that I wouldn't be distracted at school. I'm going to play the Wii a lot over Christmas break.

Comment

Even as I type this, I can hear my sister playing Zelda on her fancy new "Wii". I had a go myself this morning, and rather enjoyed it. To be fair I was just copying what I'd seen her do, so there wasn't much challenge as far as the puzzles went... in fact I was returning items to people before they'd even told me they'd lost them!

There's no escaping the fact that "Wii" sounds a bit rude (epecially when you start talking about "wee games"), but I am impressed by the controller. When I get into a fight in a computer game, I usually wave my hands around frantically anyway, and with these controllers that actually makes the chap draw his sword and slash away at the monsters! Hurrah! So it's great for idiots like me who can't remember buttons so easily and don't have the split-second reflexes. Also my hands didn't cramp as much as they normally do, because the two controllers are separate and allow much more freedom of posture.

That's not to say the games will be better, but I am very impressed with the hardware from a playability POV. And if they bring out a game like Dead Rising where I can beat up zombies, then I'll be a very happy Dee indeed.
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

LOL
                    Living in a house full of kids, there is a selection of devices in various rooms, the PS3 is not among them.

The Wii is to much fun, lots of jumping around trying to do what ever, and normally failing.
                    X-Box (Original) lots a pretty graphics, great sound, on-line gaming is a bliss.

X-Box 360, even better graphics, super sound, on-line is good...eventually, login set this confirm the other... yawn.

PS1 and a PS2 have been plugged in and enjoyed, but the PS3, simply to much money for less kit, and lets not forget Blu-Ray.
                    Alright if you don't have a large DVD collection, you can go out and buy all 15 to 25 available titles and start your collection.
                    Gotta start at some time right?

If you have a large DVD collection with a few gems (films that were limited release to DVD) full sets of this show, almost complete sets of that show, all the films in a saga, hmm moving to Blu-Ray...nah!
                    One thing was clear – their destiny was to be found there on that icy blue planet.
                    YEAR ZERO: The end was just the beginning...

To survive, you must evolve.....

Comment

I would take the 3rd option - the laptop with MS-Office. Video games are one of my bigger distractions - only so many hours in a day to get on with my writing.

But I must say - I like the look of the XBox 360 (Dead Rising, and Mass Effect. Oh and the Conan MPORG too). The PS3 is fantastically expensive - enough for it to be sobering and prohibitive. For much the same price I could get a decent PC that would run most of the current generation of games.
                      Last edited by devilchicken; 06-16-2007, 02:54 PM.
                      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I'll get a wii when a) at least one good lucasarts game is out for it that features lightsaber fighting and b) the price is more right!

Comment

I see they're bringing out Resi games for the Wii now... that could be fun! All consoles must be judged solely on their zombie-killing titles. It's the only way to be sure... then again, I played one of those Resi shooter games back on the PS, and it wasn't quite as involving or absorbing as the usual survival horror titles. Ah well, I can't afford it anyway...

I am thinking of picking up an XBox at the moment. Not a 360, just a second-hand XBox... I can almost convince myself that it counts as "recycling", and is therefore a noble act of eco-conservation!

Comment

I have the original XBox - lot of the games for that can now be picked up incredibly cheaply now. I got the last Splinter Cell game last weekend for $2.99.
                            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken View Post
                              I have the original XBox - lot of the games for that can now be picked up incredibly cheaply now.
                              That was definitely part of the appeal... brand new games in supermarket bargain bins for five pounds! A shop in our town is selling the console s-hand for forty pounds, with a supposed one year guarantee, which ain't bad. Other consoles too, of course... PS2... Gamecube... Sega Master System... whoo-hoo!

Comment

Working...
                              X