Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Neverwinter nights 2 and the toolset.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolanthus Trel
    replied
    I was really enjoying NWN2, until it cooked my dad's PC and my laptop

Just serious overheating of the system, and only when I play that game.

Leave a comment:

• Deus Ex Saurion
    replied
    I do like the game a lot - already enjoyed the first one. But I think the specs are outrageous. Esp. considering that it doesn't look good (just compare it to Oblivion or Gothic 3). I just don't understand how you can have those specs with that kind of 2001 graphics.

The AI of your party's npcs is also a problem and cause for distress...

Other than that it is well-designed and has a lot of features I as a table-top gamer wanted to see in the game.

Leave a comment:

• Usheen
    replied
    As a side note I was able to get the tool set to run on an under spec PC. It a 2.2 gig Pentium IV with 780 megs of ram. 128 meg video card.

I'm waiting on my new rig myself...

As far as PWs go I think the endless empty wilderness was pretty sucky. One can create a world map system where "random encounters" occur
    between points.

Imagine this.

Players use the world map to move from point A to point B.

Four scripted outcomes can happen
    • The PCs go to B
    • Encounter area X comes up instead (populated with random stuff )
    • Area Z with no encounter comes up instead (making players freak and buff up thier PCs and then nothing happens)
    • Unknown but built area Y comes up (players stumble upon a hidden tomb or something)
    So in this scenario one needs very few areas to have a pretty interesting PW...

Leave a comment:

• Grey Mouser
    replied
    I was looking forward to giving this game a try, yet looking at the specs Usheen has posted it's looking like I'll have to splash out £500 for a new PC to run it on. Bit expensive just to play a game perhaps. I've got approx 1/2 the recommended spec.

Anyone know if NWN2 is going to be ported to console?

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    Originally posted by Kommando
    A lot of people are worried about compression, since baked areas can be anywhere between around 20-60 mb. Its assumed that PWs are going to range around 1-2 GB in size. I have had some fun with the toolset thus far, though I really need to learn the terrain tools. Still, its impressive to look at.

This is true and it IS a worry.
    However, it's worth noting the DEVs (I have been trawling the bioware forums a lot lately) have said, whilst the MOD sizes are quite large, the actual data that is transferred to clients is less than the data that is required for the various areas on the server.
    Only time will tell if this is true.

I guess it comes down to area design for PWs and ways of moving from place to place in outside areas.
    What with the world map, that allows to to transport from area to area without actually having to walk through outside areas might get around this.

Also, it's worth noting, inside areas use a system similar to the NWN1 tilesets, which means the inside areas are a lot smaller in size.

So, assuming this is all correct, I think a NWN2 PW would need to have small outside areas (8X8 maybe?) and inside areas could still be large.
    And instead of having large outside areas to move from place to place, (large expanses of wilderness etc), you could use the world map (you basically have a map with available areas and click on where you want to go) for travelling from place to place.
    This would be a big change from many of existing Pws though and may detract from those who want a more realistic travelling system.
    I'd hope it would be possible to code into the world map travelling a chance of random encounters when using this system and being transported to an encounter area and so on.
    Again, time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by Usheen
    NWN2 is a completely new game. No need to buy NWN1 to play NWN2. However, the computer specs for playing NWN2 are pretty high.
    Hi Usheen,

Thanks for the information!

That does sound good.

I might be able to get by, since I upgraded my Ram and video card in 2005, so I could play WoW and Everquest 2.

It would be worth a shot to see if it works.

very cool!

-Lem'

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied
    Originally posted by Usheen
    The new world map stuff might make PWs more managable... but yeah the size of the outdoor areas is kinda scary!
    A lot of people are worried about compression, since baked areas can be anywhere between around 20-60 mb. Its assumed that PWs are going to range around 1-2 GB in size. I have had some fun with the toolset thus far, though I really need to learn the terrain tools. Still, its impressive to look at.

Leave a comment:

• Usheen
    replied
    NWN2 is a completely new game. No need to buy NWN1 to play NWN2. However, the computer specs for playing NWN2 are pretty high.

Recommended:
    - 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    - 1GB System Ram
    - ATI Radeon X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or higher video card
    Minimum System Requirements:
    - Windows XP
    - 512MB System RAM
    - 2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    - 128MB Direct3D compatible video card with DirectX 9.0c compatible driver
    - CD -ROM or DVD -ROM drive
    - 4.6GB free hard disk space
    - DirectX 9.0c (included)
    - DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    - Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework for toolset (included)
    - Broadband connection for multiplayer online play
    - Keyboard, Mouse
    Supported Video Cards:
    - ATI Radeon X1900 series
    - ATI Radeon X1800 series
    - ATI Radeon X1600 series
    - ATI Radeon X1300 series
    - ATI Radeon X850 series
    - ATI Radeon X800 series
    - ATI Radeon X700 series
    - ATI Radeon X600 series
    - ATI Radeon X300 series
    - ATI Radeon 9800 series
    - ATI Radeon 9600 series
    - ATI Radeon 9500 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce 6500 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce 6100 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 series
    - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 series

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    oooh! sweet! I liked NW1.

you may have answered this already,but,

do you need to load 1 to play 2, or is 2 a separate entity?

-like EQ2?

Thanks,

-Lem'

Leave a comment:

• Usheen
    replied
    The new world map stuff might make PWs more managable... but yeah the size of the outdoor areas is kinda scary!

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    I have downloaded and installed it.
    It's not totally different than the old toolset, but it has a lot of differences.

just messing about atm, getting a feel for it.
    The modules are a LOT larger than the old NWNs.
    IT's going to cause making PWs quiet tricky, what with quite large downloads required for area transitions.

Leave a comment:

• Usheen
    replied
    I used filezilla to download the accursed thing. Firefox kept dropping, so I'd really suggest that you download filezilla first if you are going to download the toolset

Leave a comment:

• Usheen
    replied
    I downloaded it last night and fired it up today....

It's really complex... there is going to be a serious learning curve here. The results look good so far.

If you'd like to see screens of what you can do check out

Thread part 1

Thread part 2
    Thread part 3

Some pretty impressive stuff so far.

My favorite is this one...

And I like this one a lot too!

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    hopefully it'll be finished downloading when I get home.

Then I'll have a play with it.
    Hell, I might even post screenshots as well.

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied
    I got it installed yesterday. Looks pretty impressive thus far. Its more complicated that the first one, so building is going to take some time. I was a little concerned that it was a tad laggy on my dual core celeron. I'll see what happens when I shut off the background programs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X