Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dungeons & Dragons game day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dungeons & Dragons game day

Hello, D&D game day will be November 5th. :)
    (just wanted to use the bat)

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=32817

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Cool. I'll have to see if I can get my friends to sit down for a game again. Best make a noise about it

:cowbell: ting! ting! ting!

(Just thought the guy and his cowbell would look cool and couldn't think of anywhere else to use him)

Comment

Oh sure, it just HAD to be the first Saturday of November, didn't it?

Since I think I'm about the only one here from Minnesota, I'll explain why that is so terrible...

In Minnesota, the first Saturday of November is practically a holiday. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 500,000 (about 10% of the population) people drop everything and head out to the woods...it is Regular Season Deer Hunting Opener. Basically meaning, even if I weren't going hunting (which I am...it's family time), I wouldn't be able to pull any of my regular group together to sit down and play some D&D. *sigh* oh well...maybe I'll have to catch it a week early or a week late. Of course, later probably won't work, because the season goes for three weeks, and the week after that is Thanksgiving. C'est la vie.
      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Ya, many events have such bad timing. I know what you mean, I did not go to several things such as conventions because I had other plans,haha.
        :)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Ah man I missed it.

Comment

I'll resurrect this old thread.

I had my first came of D&D in almost 30 years the other day and I thoroughly enjoyed it, possibly because the only involvement a computer had was the original link up via an internet forum, and as a facility to create the character sheets.

If like me, it was something you did in your youth before you "grew up", I warmly recommend you give it a go if you get a chance. Was rather surprised to find that one of the other players had never heard of Moorcock, but I put that straight.
            http://final-frame-final.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing View Post
              ...Somewhere in the neighborhood of 500,000 (about 10% of the population) people drop everything and head out to the woods...it is Regular Season Deer Hunting Opener. Basically meaning, even if I weren't going hunting (which I am...it's family time), I wouldn't be able to pull any of my regular group together to sit down and play some D&D...
              You could always take a break during the game for a quick spot of LARPing. What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

LARP?

I met up with some LARPers once just to see what it was all about. I mean no offense to any one here that is an active LARPer but what I saw was mildly frieghtening. They want to escape reality so badly that they carry out their violent fantasies with foam and bean bags. Probably doesn't help that none of them were tabletop players; instead coming together from a local Tae Kwon Do school.

And yes, there would definately be a bit of risk in trying LARP amidst the Hunters...especially if your character is a Shaman that wears a deer pelt and antlers...
                --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

"I don't want to cause offense, but ... "

It's a classic of our times!

Note: I'm not in the "not-offended" group, being as I am but 95% geek, never having invested in that last 5% LARP so wonderfully supplies!
                  Last edited by Rothgo; 05-16-2011, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Live Action? I miss the days when Vampire: The Masquerade was new. That looked like it had potential.

I suppose playing a knight, a monster or a cowboy were among the early forms of role-playing.

RPG's are best in person, and paper & pencil, video and electronic will never measure up, no matter the technology.

It's neat seeing D&D in a movie, like when seen in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, also in that movie, there is an eight pointed symbol on one of the windows, Chaos welcome in their house perhaps?

AD&D books are also seen in Cloak & Dagger (1984).

My brother and I discussed building a machine that would allow us to reach into a movie scene and remove an object. That way we could get games, books and things when they were brand new.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                      RPG's are best in person, and paper & pencil, video and electronic will never measure up, no matter the technology.
                      I wholeheartedly agree. I just cannot get into any of the VRPGs or MMORPGs. Oddly enough, they come off as far too limited in scope and breadth. I really enjoy the character when playing with the action coming a distant second and there is yet a videogame to be found that has the character depth to accomodate.
                      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree. I just cannot get into any of the VRPGs or MMORPGs. Oddly enough, they come off as far too limited in scope and breadth. I really enjoy the character when playing with the action coming a distant second and there is yet a videogame to be found that has the character depth to accomodate.
                        Very true! At the table, there are infinite possibilities. Just like The Conjunction of the Million Spheres.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Exactly! I've even used the Conjunction of a Million Spheres to end one era of our storylines and start another. Now I'm working on ending the current in preperation for retirement from AD&D (we are going to start plyaing our own developed game) which will likely use elements of a Time War.
                          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I beg to disagree.

I guess to some extent it depends on the game, but CRPGs have been about the only way I've gotten to play RPGs for two decades, so I've seen how much they've come along* since the early, early days of:
                            >LOOK
                            YOU ARE ON A
                            NORTH-SOUTH ROAD. THERE IS A DWARF IN YOUR WAY.
                            >LOOK DWARF
                            THE DWARF IS HOLDING
                            AN AXE.
                            >HIT DWARF
                            HIT DWARF WITH WHAT?

>HIT DWARF WITH DAGGER
                            YOU ARE NOT HOLDING
                            A DAGGER
                            >HOLD DAGGER
                            YOU ARE HOLDING A DAGGER.

>HIT DWARF WITH DAGGER
                            YOU HIT THE DWARF WITH YOUR DAGGER. HE FALLS OVER AND DROPS HIS AXE.

>
                            PICK UP AXE
                            I DON'T UNDERSTAND.
                            >
                            TAKE AXE
                            YOU TAKE THE AXE.
                            >HOLD AXE
                            YOU CAN'T DO THAT.
                            >DROP DAGGER
                            YOU DROP THE DAGGER ON THE ROAD.
                            >HOLD AXE
                            YOU ARE HOLDING AN AXE.
                            >TAKE DAGGER
                            YOU TAKE THE DAGGER.

>LOOK
                            YOU ARE ON A NORTH-SOUTH ROAD. THERE IS A DEAD DWARF IN THE ROAD.
                            >LOOK DWARF
                            THE DWARF IS DEAD.

>PICK UP DWARF
                            YOU CAN'T DO THAT.
                            >GO NORTH
                            YOU ARRIVE AT A CROSSROADS. THERE ARE EXITS TO THE NORTH, EAST, WEST AND SOUTH.

adventure gaming.

*I'd cite Planescape:Torment and Dragon Age: Origins as two immensely character-driven CRPGs.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Love it!

Originally posted by David Mosley
                              *I'd cite Planescape:Torment and Dragon Age: Origins as two immensely character-driven CRPGs.
                              I plied my hand at Torment and still found it insufferably shallow compared to tabletop gaming. Now, compared to other CRPGs it is fantastic and was a huge leap forward. Still, simple mathematics sets a limit to the variability and complexity even that game can offer. What if I wanted to go the Great Gymnasium and meditate with the Ciphers for a year or two? Or, what if I wanted to find a portal to the Prime and forget the horrors of the Blood War and Sigil? At least there would be no worrying over the Lady of Pain...

Any way, the point is that I have grown so used to the total freedom of tabletop roleplaying that even the most complicated and in depth computer game (at this time) is too limited in scope and vareity.
                              Last edited by EverKing; 05-17-2011, 09:43 AM. Reason: again, typo
                              --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Working...
                              X