Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Chaos Engine/Soldiers of Fortune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chaos Engine/Soldiers of Fortune

Does anyone out there remember a game called The Chaos Engine? It was also known as Soldiers of Fortune and was released around 93/94. It was a shoot-em-up action game but had some interesting concepts, good level design and a few puzzles to make it stand out from the plethora of other titles at the time. The graphics and sfx were also pretty good, being the first game I can remember that had passable speech on the Amiga 600.

http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our...aos-engine.htm

For me, it was the story that made this game particularly interesting. A lone inventor built a machine at the turn of the 19th century that had the power to affect space, matter and time. It seized control and began to cause chaos in the surrounding area. You took on the role of one of six mercenaries for hire whose task in was to enter the chaos-altered landscape and put an end to the madness.

I had hours of fun blasting my way through the levels so when I stumbled upon the PC version for download (I still have the original Amiga version but my Amiga itself no longer works :( ), I couldn't resist.

Nope, that one totally passed me by and I considered myself to be a gamer. It must have been that darn Magic:The Gathering again, taking all my time away in the 1994. ;) It could also be that I did not have a pc then, I was still playing the old Super Nintendo around that time.

Spaced, that did remind me of one thing though, did you ever play the board game 'Time Tripper'? Now that ruled! You could fight things at different periods in history and come back with some very interesting items.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I don't think Magic reached these shores for another year or two later (97 or 98 was when I first remember coming across it) so I had to have something else to fill in the time. :) Chaos Engine is worth a blast if you can find it.

I've got a thing for old games from childhood. I managed to find a PC version of the Bruce Lee platformer that I had for the C64 in the 80s one night at work and spend the next couple of hours having a blast on it. Luckily it was a slow night and I didn't have anything else to do.

'Time Tripper?' Never heard of that one before. It sound pretty interesting though. Is this the game in question?

Comment

Originally posted by spaced_moorcock
        I don't think Magic reached these shores for another year or two later (97 or 98 was when I first remember coming across it) so I had to have something else to fill in the time. :) Chaos Engine is worth a blast if you can find it.

I've got a thing for old games from childhood. I managed to find a PC version of the Bruce Lee platformer that I had for the C64 in the 80s one night at work and spend the next couple of hours having a blast on it. Luckily it was a slow night and I didn't have anything else to do.

'Time Tripper?' Never heard of that one before. It sound pretty interesting though. Is this the game in question?
        That game does sound good. I did not experience the Bruce Lee one, but that would be fun as well.

Yes, that is the correct "Time Tripper" that was a blast from the past. I enlarged that pict, the "Mind Police sounded like fun. I vaguely remember having to go on a mission for some creature's nostril, I always thought that a bit odd.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I played Chaos Engine on the amiga, back in the day. Good times, good shooting, and hard pumped music :)

Comment

I remember the Chaos Engine - was very cool for its time. Didn't like Gods too much though...

BTW - did anyone ever play First Samurai? It was an sidescrolling Amiga game about a samurai who gets thrown forward in time and has to find his way back.

A bit like Samurai Jack. Hmmm.....
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Chaos Engine was a great game. I used to have a ball playing doubles with my brother. First Samurai was also another good one.

I still have my Amiga 500 set up in the lounge (beats emulators any day), and they are both games that I play from time to time.

One that my mates kids love to play when they come over is Rick Dangerous.
              My signature is

Comment

Working...
              X