Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Nation States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nation States

Has anyone out there tried "Nation States". It's a free, on-line, multi user game where you run your own nation according to your personal views on a variety of "issues". It takes up only a few minutes of time, so it's not a drag. It's worth trying with a few friends.

email address below.
    http://www.nationstates.net

Looks interesting - but I'd be interested in the 'personal views' of those who programmed it!
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Yep. Lemme see the code! how did they decide the consequences of each particular decision?

I'd like to get my hands on whoever's playing that game we live in, too.

Comment

I think that you can get a feel for the effects that a response to a given issue can have by digging through the "nuts and bolts" section in the forum area. To be honest, I didn't want to find out too much about what the consequences might be, as I didn't want to spoil the competition I'm having with friends. I should think that the "top nations" are all played by people who have a good idea of what successful game play would need to be.

As to the "personal views" of the moderators, I suspect that these will be varied, depending on the type of people who are involved. I can envisage these ranging from people who just enjoy playing games (let's face it, this is role play fantasy) to those who get a kick from imagining that they have the power of a "god"("where did I put that amulet and no, don't answer the door to any passing germans"!). I gather that the original idea came from the writer whose book is promoted at the front of the site- no idea if this helped him sell any books.

As to the fellow who is running the greater game of life, I wonder about both his sense of humour and irony

Comment

Working...
        X