Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

FALLOUT RPG PCG 50's Futuristic sci-fi!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FALLOUT RPG PCG 50's Futuristic sci-fi!?

Anybody in here who really liked the Fallout series 1,2,Tactics?
    I really like those games. Although number 2 in the series is the most adult in the series. Sex, Drugs, Nukes!!! And a COOL Car Ala 50's style.

Fallout 1 and 2 were pretty good, story driven RPGs. Shame that the powers that be decided to break up Black Isle Studios (one of the best game design studios of recent years). They were halfway through production of Fallout 3 when Interplay canned them (Interplay subsequently went under a little over a year ago).

Black Isle also did Planescape Torment - perhaps one of the best ever PC RPGs. Had a storyline which was somewhat inspired by Mr M's work. If you didn't play it - check it out... Very weird and wonderful...

Good news though - Besthesda Softworks (of Morrowind fame) acquired the licence to produce a 3rd Fallout RPG. So there will be another one at some point.

I quite liked the setup of Fallout, the mythology they created with the post apocalyptic setting. Oddly original - and quite stylish...
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Fallout series remain one of the most intelligent PC RPG's. Wonderful plots, good action and freedom in character creation are still unparalleled.
      I remember some MAD MAX fanatics insisting on finishing the game with their character dressed only in leather armor...

Thanks for reminding me how much fun I had with "Torment". It sure deserves to be played at least one more time.

Speaking of PC games, anyone tried "Lionheart" and was it worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
        Black Isle also did Planescape Torment - perhaps one of the best ever PC RPGs. Had a storyline which was somewhat inspired by Mr M's work. If you didn't play it - check it out... Very weird and wonderful...

Good news though - Besthesda Softworks (of Morrowind fame) acquired the licence to produce a 3rd Fallout RPG. So there will be another one at some point.

I quite liked the setup of Fallout, the mythology they created with the post apocalyptic setting. Oddly original - and quite stylish...
        I usually sing "Maybeeee!" by the Inkspots when i'm alone and no one's
        listening. But not often though :). LOL! The thing with old songs in the games make it kinda vintage/stylish yet cool.. Hard to explain why really?
        http://www.izaak.unh.edu/images/nhltj/inkspots.jpg

'Planescape'? I never got to playing that game although the praise i heard of the storyline and gameplay. I'm not really that fond of the AD&D system. But i've played some of the other titles nut this one's usually not on the shelves due to it's age.

Hmm... If bethesda's doing it... wonder if it would be 3D.. I wouldn't really mind that though.. just as long as the story keeps going. Shish... (I love those Power Armours). And that they don't tone out the reality and interactivity of the game series.

Comment

Yes if Bethesda is doing it - its almost 100% likely to be full 3D, and they'll likely do a very good job with the licence.

PLanescape Torment is worth a check - probably get it on ebay now for not very much. Its not really D&D (in the conventional sense at least), the setup and characters are a little weird.. I think one of the first characters you meet in the game is a disembodied 'flying' skull. The main character you play is an interesting take on the Eternal Champion.
          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I've not played them but Fallout 1 and 2 are considered classics of their kind. Some of the chief developers from that game left Bioware to form their own company called Troika.

Planescape Torment I have played and would say in spite of it being based on the ageing Infinity engine is still arguably one of the best RPG around. The Nameless One and his companions are some of the most memorable characters in the entire field of PC gaming. As you say a definate Moorcockian influence there in the Planescape setting. But its a game where you can miss alot if you don't check out a guidebook or internet guide (like the pocket plane hidden in the Modron cube).

I've not tried Lionheart. Wanted to try it but could never find a copy.

The upcoming Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion from Bethsoft looks one to watch out for, as does Jade Empires from Bioware.

PS If I remember rightly Morte is the name of the flying sarcastic skull, a very funny dude.

Comment

Working...
            X