Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Anyone for pinball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone for pinball?

Are there any pinball players out there? I have a Johnny Mnemomic pinball machine and an Operation Thunder pinball machine. I have also won a remote boat and an I-Pad (yes an I-pad) in pinball tournaments and I am ranked 30 in Australia and 1483rd in the world.

I love pinball and wish I had a machine, but my house is toooooo small! My favorite games were Firepower (1980) and High Speed (1986). I've never been that good at the game (I have crappy hand-eye coordination, but I'll take pinball any day over video gaming (which I'm even worse at!). I just love the sense of control over the game, I suppose, and maybe if I had a machine at home I could get really good at playing it.

Cool about your ranking. I had a friend - I think he has Asperger's - who was near the top in world rankings back in the 90s...or so he said. I doubt it, however, since I did find his name on the site but he has no ranking (and probably hasn't played years).

Also, I found you on the list, John... ;) Congrats!

das

Comment

Once upon a time in high school I held the record on the most popular machine in town (or at least for my friends) which was called "Earthshaker". I haven't played in years but I do miss it. These days I play a lot of Civ V but I do miss pinball. That rank is actually pretty impressive.
      Last edited by Liquidshadows; 09-28-2014, 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidshadows View Post
        Once upon a time in high school I held the record on the most popular machine in town (or at least for my friends) which was called "Earthshaker". I haven't played in years but I do miss it. These days I play a lot of Civ V but I do miss pinball. That rank is actually pretty impressive.

You talking about my friend's ranking? I don't think he actually had one - I think he told a fish tale. He did participate in a tournament in NYC in 1993 or 94. He was very good at pinball (best I've ever personally seen), but I doubt he was tournament-winning good.

He sort of had a unique style of play...he was super geeky and super odd (looked a bit like a young Mr. Burns from the Simpsons), but when he played he looked as if he was having...ya know...with the machine. It was hard to watch without getting a bit

das

Comment

I always enjoyed pinball but never had enough access to get really good. I did, however, once see a documentary about a pinball virtuoso--a "wizard" they called him--name Tommy. At least, I think it was a documentary o.O

(Sorry, it was begging to be said.)
          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Working...
          X