Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

RPGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPGs

Has anyone here played the Elric RPG? I've only heard stories and seen a few things online about it. I'm a big D&D fan as well as some other RPGs. If enough people are interested it might be possible to set up a roleplaying comminuty online. I've played both Chat and E-mail based RPGs. If properly organized it can be a lot of fun. If someone would like to, we could even set up our own version of a Young Kingdoms RPG, either pre or post Elric (if it's during his time everyone would want to see/kill him - and that's just not "realistic" gaming).

If anyone is interested, leave me a post here and we'll talk.

Thanos Shadowsage

Hi Thanos,

I've run an Elric campaign for about a year which was quite well recieved at the time, but that was many many years ago now. It was a blend between some of the prewritten scenarios from the Stormbringer and Elric RPGs and, later, stuff that I'd written myself (heavily based on Mike's own concepts of course). I've never experienced the game as a player yet, but in the right circumstances would be willing to give it a try.

My instinct would be that a combination between the chat room and e-mail methods would be ideal. E-mail could be used for co-ordinating setting up the characters and background. The more dynamic chat room environment could then serve for the adventures/scenarios themselves once the prep work had been done.

It's a cool idea you have there Thanos. Hope to hear from you soon. Feel free to send me an e-mail or PM.

Grey Mouser

Comment

RPGs

Ok Grey,

Let's see if we can generate any more interest here first. Through past projects I've found it's always better to get a good strong demand first. No sence in getting the wheels turning and then find out that you only have one or two players.

If I set anything in motion I'll be sure to post it here.

Thanos

Comment

RPGs

By the way...

The chat-mail interface idea is good. If this gets up and running I might go with that. Or possibly a messageboard system. Maybe all three... I'll give it some more thought.

Thanos

Comment

Sounds like a Jolly Idea Thanos... I'm up for it or maybe even a couple hands of Zeit Jugo... later man

M. Slade

Comment

I play Stormbringer/Elric quite a bit. Also, I've been working
            on an improved version of Dragonlords of Melnibone, the
            d20 version.

I'd love to partake in any discussussions about the game,
            as it is still my favorite.

Ian
            Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
            go to hell so that they will look forward to
            making the trip.

Comment

Hi Ian. I bought a copy of Dragonlords when it first came out but have never played it. How does it hold up compared with the d100 Stormbringer and Elric system. I don't know if I could get used to an Elric game using d20. For me Stormbringer with the Frank Brunner illustrations was the most artistically sound version of the game, and Elric was the best balanced for gameplay (but the illustrations were not as good).

Any chance you could fill me in a bit on the feel of the d20 system. If you are improving it does that mean there are problems with it as it stands or are you inovating new material?

Comment

Our DM would always use an "Elric" kind of NPC to scare the crap out of us.

He would say, "You see a man with long white hair and skin like ivory. At his side is a large black sword..."

Then we would say, "run away, run away!!!" (a la Monty Python)

I still have the old Dieties & Demigods with the Melnibonean Mythos in them (Nehwon, Cthulhu, Native American and others you can't find - have to break it out of a box to remember them all). Our DM would start flipping through it for added drama mumbling "Stormbringer, Stormbringer, hmm, let's see..."

He was the best DM. Bastard! :lol:
                When they had advanced together to meet on common
                ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                  Hi Ian. I bought a copy of Dragonlords when it first came out but have never played it. How does it hold up compared with the d100 Stormbringer and Elric system. I don't know if I could get used to an Elric game using d20. For me Stormbringer with the Frank Brunner illustrations was the most artistically sound version of the game, and Elric was the best balanced for gameplay (but the illustrations were not as good).

Any chance you could fill me in a bit on the feel of the d20 system. If you are improving it does that mean there are problems with it as it stands or are you inovating new material?
                  First - I have to agree with you regarding versions and illos for the
                  BRP/d100 stuff. I prefer to play a mix of all versions of Stormbringer (SB5
                  is the current version - the name sells better than Elric!), with a dash of
                  Corum stuff. The SB5 illos are by far the worst of the bunch 8O

I really feel like DLoM was rushed to the printers so Chaosium could
                  make a big splash. It worked, as they sold out the first run quickly.
                  There are some things they did right - major wounds and an allegiance
                  system ported to d20 rules, but the rest is basically straight d20. The
                  demon summoning is OK, but needs some work. Most of the fans
                  were hoping for a new magic system and a more fitting combat system.
                  Thankfully, there's plenty of other d20/OGL material out there that can
                  be gleaned. I have started down that road. Also, with OGL Conan out,
                  there is some more to grab from. Another point - some of the statted out
                  characters are just flat out wrong. I cannot see Dyvim Tvar with any
                  levels of wizard. So those need some tweaking as well. And the illos are
                  abyssmal (SB5 is basically the same illos).

I can go into more detail if anyone wants - and I hope to have some
                  stuff in PDF format soon.

Ian
                  making the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by VonWeiner
                    At his side is a large black sword..."
                    Yes I seem to remember it was the Black Sword that was the secret of that particular paranoia, since it's victims could never be resurrected by any of the traditional D+D methods. 8O :o :)

I used to own that original copy of Deities and Demigods too but had to sell it when I was short of cash. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Ian
                      Most of the fans were hoping for a new magic system and a more fitting combat system.
                      Original atmosphere sometimes gets lost with generic rule systems. It looks like what you are doing is restoring the 'Elric-ness' to it. You must be driven by a genuine passion to customise your own version to this degree, as it means a lot of work.

I may be old school but I still prefer the old Elric d100, I guess. :P

Comment

Original atmosphere sometimes gets lost with generic rule systems. It looks like what you are doing is restoring the 'Elric-ness' to it. You must be driven by a genuine passion to customise your own version to this degree, as it means a lot of work.
                        Yeah, but the passion is not for d20 per se. I'll explain ...

I may be old school but I still prefer the old Elric d100, I guess. :P
                        I prefer d100/BRP too. There are some things I am tweaking there
                        as well. Like I said, I combine what I feel are the best pieces of
                        all of the d100/BRP versions, and have some house rules tossed in. I am
                        also working on a better sorcery system (I hate the "Battle Magic" that
                        was introduced in Elric!), one that fits the tales better, but still has the raw
                        Chaos of the pre SB4 demon summoning. During this process, as well
                        as tweaking the OGL/d20 stuff, certain similarities began to emerge.
                        My tweaked d20/OGL spell system might port over quite well to the
                        d100/BRP stuff (it better represents spells like Myshella's Noose of Flesh
                        spell against the Kelmain Host).

Ian
                        making the trip.

Comment

I think Chaosium borrowed the Battle Magic from the Runequest game - a simplified version. It's a nice system in and of itself, but I have to agree it doesn't really tally in with the Elric mythos as presented in the books. I always felt it was not quite right allowing sorcery to be so freely available. The herbs, potions, summonings and bindings of the Stormbringer are closer to the feel of the Elric books and perhaps Corum too.

I've been away from the RPG scene for a long time. What does OGL mean? :oops:

Comment

I think Chaosium borrowed the Battle Magic from the Runequest game - a simplified version. It's a nice system in and of itself, but I have to agree it doesn't really tally in with the Elric mythos as presented in the books. I always felt it was not quite right allowing sorcery to be so freely available. The herbs, potions, summonings and bindings of the Stormbringer are closer to the feel of the Elric books and perhaps Corum too.
                            Yes, I like the orignal binding stuff, and all the potions etc., but there
                            are a number of non summoning spells in the tales (again, the Noose
                            of Flesh, and some of the spells Yyrkoon uses - putting Cymoril to sleep)
                            that need some mechanic. Also, some Rune Magic (Moonglum's swords).
                            Corum, the Bronze Grimoire, and Unknown East all have some nice
                            alternatives/extras. But, I want more ;)

I've been away from the RPG scene for a long time. What does OGL mean? :oops:
                            OGL - Open Game License. Systems published under the OGL are
                            freely available for anyone to use. The d20 system is published
                            under the OGL, so the core system is available for plunder, but the
                            IP (Intellectual Property) is not. The d20 license is an offshoot of
                            the OGL. You can download the d20 core system for free. If you
                            design an OGL system, anyone can borrow your ideas and incorporate
                            it into their own system. Mongoose Publishing has released an new
                            Conan RPG - it's all OGL. The system is free to use, the REH IP is
                            not.

Ian
                            making the trip.

Comment

The OGL stuff sounds interesting Ian, do you have a link to a site where I can take a look and perhaps download it?

Comment

Working...
                              X