Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Business Opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Opportunity

Mike and Everyone:

Things have really been moving quickly this month and I am now ready to announce plans for a new luxury passenger aircraft, the Kaplan Suberbliner. Here are some preliminary sketches of the project for your consideration. I think you will be suitably impressed with what my design staff has come up with.

As a courtesy to Mr. Moorcock's readership, I am soliciting nominations for investors exclusively through this forum.

And so, with no further ado, here is a sample of the drawings from the blue ribbon design team. I think you will agree that these experts (headed by the "maestro" himself, Mr. J. Cornelius) has exceeded itself once again, surpassing even our most recent engineering achievement, the Kaplan Heatless Kettle).

The Kaplan "Superbliner"

[/img]

I love it! I will contact my advisors who oversee my numerous accounts and will immediately have sent to you fifty bajillion dollars.

In return I would only ask that you christen one of these fine craft The Weinerama.

Looking foward to your correspondence,

Oscar Von Weiner Meyer III
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I didn't notice a drink cup holder in the schematics. That is troublesome. Since I'm criticizing, I also didn't notice any plans or mention of air bags or air brakes.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I can't pledge my 2 million
        until these upgrades are implimented. (outlined in black)

Have your people contact my people.

Jolly good,

::Wrongway Feldman::

Comment

If DTB's changes are made, I'm in. There is a Nigerian General that is asking me to hold onto $20 million US for him until he can get out of the country. When he makes it to the US, I get 5 million, and I will promptly pledge it for this endeavor.

Can I get a seat with my name on it?

Comment

Man, there are so many Nigerians with money just trying to get out of the country. I for one have given each one of them all of my banking infomation and am awaiting the large sums of money they have promised me...

:lol:

Oh and I agree with DTB's modifications. Nekkid girls :oops:
            When they had advanced together to meet on common
            ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
            and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
            each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
            mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
            killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I have just heard from Colonel Pyat who says he intends to inform his lawyers immediately. This is another of his ideas stolen by Jews, Freemasons and Turks (he says), which he originally patented (or would have done) in 1930 and, had it not been for his unfortunate imprisonment in Munich (and environs) in 1933 he would have been able to have had built by his friend and mentor Mussolini. My own thought is that it rather resembles a design I saw in Modern Wonder some time in 1938, a year or so before I was born (which is my memory is a little hazy).

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Cup holders, you say? There! There! Do not concern yourself, my friend! They simply fail to be evident because of the scale of the drawings represented here in the forum--pixel field limitations, sir, that is the problem (actually, the engineering drawings prepared under the supervison of Mr. Cornelius are at 1:1 scale, exactly conforming to the FULL SIZE of the Kaplan Superbliner itself! The drawings occupy seven warehouses in our laboratory complex outside Dearborn, Michigan!)! Moreover, I invite you to you enlarge any of the drawings posted here and you shall see the cup holders, and in full technical detail! Here's an enlargement of a minute quadrant of the section plan through the fuselage:

Do not be deceived by the small size of the cup holders aboard the Kaplan Superbliner! When it comes to the special concoctions our five star mixologists are serving up, these cups will be large enough indeed!

Comment

Ahem, Mr. Pyat ("colonel", indeed!) sould be aware that our political staff has anticipated his manoeuvre, and diversionary events around the globe have been arranged that will certainly intercept and confound his nefarious designs upon our lawful engineering patents!

Comment

Colonel Professor Pyat tells me he is used to such calumnies and chooses to ignore them. It is clear to him that the world has been taken over by the International Zionist Freemason Conspiracy and that there is nothing left for an honest man to do but pray that God will punish the evil-doers.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I myself have no interest in the project, preferring the stately progress of an airship, but our lodger is quite keen... well I say "lodger", but we didn't have a great deal of choice in the matter... distant relative or some such. Anyway, dear Mitzi is trying to arrange a work-experience placement at the moment, and she would be happy to take any position in which she is allowed access to the cockpit and a sizeable stash of weaponry. Apparently this is essential for her Modern Apprenticeship in Privateering, and I hate to see the poor girl disappointed. Hope to hear from you soon on this matter.

Regards,

D...
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

D:

As a matter fo fact our legal department has been looking for Mitzi for several months. She had been working for Mr. Cornelius as his confidental secretary, when she suddenly disappeared with a file of drawings from Mr. Cornelius's safe. The Head of Security found a pile of long blonde hair under her desk. In the top drawer he found scissors, a bottle of brown hair dye and some U.S. Army recruiting brochures. Our legal department is circulating this photograph of Mitzi--digitally altered as she might appear with short, brown hair. Is this person your lodger?

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Kaplan
                          Our legal department is circulating this photograph of Mitzi--digitally altered as she might appear with short, brown hair. Is this person your lodger?
                          Well, I must say the face does look familiar... I think perhaps she had a rottweiler with similar features... but it kept trying to grab the lead off of her, so she had it put down. Humanely. Using a Smith & Wesson SW-99
                          Compact.

Besides, I can assure you that our Mitzi is as honest as the day is long. I'm sorry to hear that Mr Cornelius has lost some of his files, but I think it is entirely unbecoming of a gentleman to accuse an innocent wee slip of a girl like Miss Beesley. She tells me he often suffers from bouts of amnesia, and it is quite possible he has simply misplaced the file while associating with one of his many seedy underworld contacts!

If you continue to take Mr Cornelius's side in this matter I shall be forced to contact Mitzi's father, the Bishop. Needless to say, he has God on his side, and I would hazard a guess that you are not adequately insured against the actions of such a high (or holy) roller.

Regards,

D...
                          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Looks fab Carter. That Cornelian design looks to be almost as much in advance of our times as Da Vinci's were before his. Alas I cannot afford to invest in the real thing unless the minimum share value is a very modest sum (due to being recently duped by a Nigerian emigree who turned out to be a huckster) Might just be able to afford one of those kaplan heatless kettles though (and, perhaps, a cup holder or two).

Comment

I actually did invest in the British Airship Company, who were building those nifty little dirigibles out of Cardington. Unfortunately the firm got caught up in the main investor's bankruptcy (Alan Swan, the Australian entrepreneur) and went under as a result. Only a few years ago, however, you could see their earliest ships circling over London. Cardington was where the R100 and the ill-fated R101 were built, putting an end to serious British airship building, much as the Akron finished off American building and the Hindenburg stopped German building.
                              I'm pretty sure I have a Modern Wonder for 1938 with a similar aeroplane design in it... Everyone rips off the Colonel, it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X