Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

R1/R2 DVDs & TV standards compatibity [Split from 'Dust Devil']

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1/R2 DVDs & TV standards compatibity [Split from 'Dust Devil']

DC Posted:
    We don't have a region free player and its a hassle dealing with currency conversion from the US.
    It is very easy to obtain a region free DVD player Devilchicken. I purcahsed a Norcent DP 300 from Walmart for around $75.00. In the initial setup there is an option that enables you to make the player region free. I had a bunch of Hawkwind dvd's that I couldn't view since they were in Pal format. After pulling my hair out and searching the internet for months I came up with this solution....and it worked!

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
    It is very easy to obtain a region free DVD player Devilchicken. I purcahsed a Norcent DP 300 from Walmart for around $75.00. In the initial setup there is an option that enables you to make the player region free. I had a bunch of Hawkwind dvd's that I couldn't view since they were in Pal format. After pulling my hair out and searching the internet for months I came up with this solution....and it worked!
    We bought a new DVD player before Christmas to go with our home theater system - so I'll have to wait until this one dies before I can convince the wife of a need to buy another.

I still have a couple of UK DVDs that I didn't want to part with - Ulysses 31, and the first season of Peepshow. It would be nice to see them without having to shove them into the laptop.

The main thing for me is the cost of buying anything from the UK and having it shipped to the US. Dealing with currency conversion and international shipping is more than enough to put me off - plus I get screwed by the US bank for the transaction.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

What model DVD player do you have? Most modern DVD players can be programmed to become multi-region (or region-free depending how you look at it).

I've got an 5-year old(?) Philips DVD-701, and a newer LG(?) player that I bought two Christmases ago for my wife for £45 and both of them I was able to make multi-region, which admittedly took me by surprise 'cause I was very dubious that either was possible.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks for the tip - I just did a quick look for my DVD player (Philips DVP3040) - and found a handset hack to make it region-free. There's also a way of getting it to play PAL, but I'll have to see whether my TV can handle it.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

If you switch it to PAL mode it will not be able to play any other formats. Just try switching it to region-free and you'll see that it'll play PAL region material as well. You can always switch back after unlocking the player. The worst problem I have had with mine is from my kids monkeying with the buttons and buggering up the program.

Comment

I thought you had to have a PAL TV in order to play R2 (PAL) DVD's...?

I never quite figured that out.

I know back in the UK I had a fairly tough time getting my DVD player to play R1 discs with NTSC coding - the TV wasn't NTSC compatible and played in B/W. The only (unsatisfactory) workaround was a selector switch on the back of the player to convert NTSC to PAL.

Comment

DC Posted:
              I thought you had to have a PAL TV in order to play R2 (PAL) DVD's...?
              No sir...my tv projected all of my dvd's, regardless of format once my player was unlocked.

Comment

The only hassle with this player is that I have to enter the handset code each time I want to change regions. Setting the player to Region 0 doesn't work as almost all DVD's have Macrovision protection - I have to manually set the region each time I want to watch something.

Its a pain - but at least I can do it straight out of the box, without having to get it chipped (my old DVD player set me back a good 300 quid when I bought it 5-6 years ago - and was actually hacked by a hacker to reprogram the firmware. I was quite impressed at the time - very William Gibson.

Comment

Here's an interesting web site about PAL/NTSC differences.

This paragraph is also relevant to this discussion:

In the last years the available televisions are usually multi-standard devices. They can display both NTSC and PAL or SECAM signals. If a television is not multi-standard and a NTSC DVD is played at a PAL television there also exists the possibility of the DVD player showing NTSC as PAL-60. This standard is also called "pseudo PAL" or "NTSC playback on PAL TV". PAL-60 uses the color coding/color subcarrier of PAL but the number of scan lines (525) as well as the refresh rate of NTSC. However, the refresh rate is not 60 Hz as one could assume due to the notion, but 59.94 Hz. We must pay attention that not all DVD players/PAL televisions can transmit/display PAL-60.
                  That's certainly my experience in the UK with regards to NTSC videos and R1 DVDs; that is, they play fine on my 8 yr-old TV.

What I don't yet know - and hope to establish soon with the help of Lemec - is how NTSC TVs cope with PAL DVDs.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

The grid lines must be compatible since my 12 year old RCA telly projects all of my Hawkwind dvd's that are in PAL format. I could'nt play pal format material here 20 years ago, but can now.

Comment

If a television is not multi-standard and a NTSC DVD is played at a PAL television there also exists the possibility of the DVD player showing NTSC as PAL-60. This standard is also called "pseudo PAL" or "NTSC playback on PAL TV".
                      That's interesting. I bought my daughter Dance Factory for the PS2 for Christmas, and the options screen comes up with PAL-50 and PAL-60. I wondered what it was. I guess it must be a multi-region disc.

Anybody else think that we should cut this discussion out and move it to Eldren Tech?

Comment

There used to be a joke amongst video engineers about the various international formats:
                        NTSC - "Never Twice the Same Colour"
                        SECAM (French standard) - "System Essentially Contrary to American Methods" or from the French "Système ةlégant Contre les AMéricains", -"Elegant System Against the Americans".
                        PAL - "Peace At Last" (although major phase errors led to "Pretty Awful Looking" or "Picture Always Lousy")
                        Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                        Bakunin

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
                          That's interesting. I bought my daughter Dance Factory for the PS2 for Christmas, and the options screen comes up with PAL-50 and PAL-60. I wondered what it was. I guess it must be a multi-region disc.

Anybody else think that we should cut this discussion out and move it to Eldren Tech?
                          PAL conversion from NTSC is viewable, but you don't get optimal image quality.

Comment

Working...
                          X