Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Any Linux users here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Linux users here ?

Moorcock has just about everything, except his own linux distro ;)

But fun aside, any users of linux here ? What distro's are you using, or have used in the past ?

Im an (k)Ubuntu person myself, though i've toyed around abit with red hat, debian, and I keep a knoppix CD around at all times, just in case

Gods, I hope not! I especially hope no one is using Debian.

Comment

I've been a Linux and BSD user for over ten years now. My first experience with Unix was when I used Amix and BSD many moons ago on my old Amiga 2000. Now days I run a customised version of Fedora on my desktop machine and have OpenBSD running on my server. I also have a Windoze machine set up for playing the odd games (as well as a shed full of machines old and new).

I don't think I could enjoy using Winbloze fulltime, I would miss my bash prompt and all the available tools to much. Most Windoze programs that I do need to use every now and then (such as Photoshop) will happily run under Wine.

Besides the command line tools available, the stability is another thing that I like about Linux when compared to Windoze. My uptime on my desktop is usually counted in hundreds of days, something that is impossible on a M$ desktop. No more having to reboot just because I installed a new program, the fact that I can look over the source code of programs and make any changes I want, the list could go on and on.

I don't ascribe to all these Linux vs Windoze vs MacOS arguments. I believe that you should use the right tool for the job, and Linux is the right tool for the sorts of things I do with my computer.
      Last edited by redbeard; 10-16-2006, 08:22 PM.
      My signature is

Comment

I'm reviving the thread!!! I'm using Ubuntu Linux, and I just love it. I have even managed to set up my Wacom tablet. And what they're doing with the GUIs? It's just wicked.

I have to say today's Linux distros are way better than their predecessors. I remember spending countless hours trying to get everyting working with old versions of SuSe or Red Hat. Nowadays it's a breeze.

Unfortunately for me I have to use Windows at work... and I also use it for one particular application that is not available for Linux (and I haven't found a good substitute).

Comment

I have ubuntu on my main PC as a windows dual boot.
          I still use windows for gaming, as it's better for that, wine is not that great.

Comment

I just started running Ubuntu a few months ago. I'm loving it so far, but I still have a lot to learn about it.

Comment

Ubuntu by Mark Shuttleworth, Proudly South African. Thank You.

Sorry for this post.
              I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to. Elvis Presley

Comment

I used DSL for a while. I installed it on a machine that had blown its hard drive (I bought a re-formatted HD and plugged it in). The machine didn't have enough RAM for Ubuntu, which I think is easier to use. Unfortunately I wasn't really proficient with DS Linux. I couldn't get Open Office installed correctly. Eventually i bought another used PC with Windows already installed. If I ever get another cheapie with no OS I want to try Ubuntu.
                Dave Hardy
                http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, you might like this article I just wrote. It's a hub for a number of ideas I plan to explore. http://themap.multiverse.org/2009/02...are-2-minimal/
                  Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

I currently use/play with:

* Red Hat Enterprose Linux/CentOS 4.X/5.X (and the ROCKS clustering toolkit).
                    * CAOS Linux (and the Perceus clustering toolkit)
                    * Ubuntu
                    * Solaris 8, 9, 10 and Open Solaris
                    * MacOSX 10.4, 10.5 and Server 10.5 (and beta testing 10.6 aka Snow Leopard)
                    * FreeBSD 6.X, 7.X
                    * SuSE/SLES 10.X

Currently, my big projects are a 320 node, 640 processor CentOS 4.3
                    cluster, building up what will be a 150 node, 1200 processor CAOS NSA
                    Linux cluster, and migrating our infrastructure to MacOSX 10.5 running
                    Open Directory to provide login access (amongst other things) for
                    systems running CentOS, Ubuntu, Solaris and who knows what else.
                    Oh, and I have this silly little viz wall running CentOS 5.2 with two
                    37 inch plasma screens and 12 Fujitsu tablets as the tiles.

I have also played with Yellow Dog Linux (probably the best Linux distro
                    for Mac PPC systems). At one time, my Power Computing PowerCenter
                    Pro was triple booting MacOS 9, MacOSX Public Beta, and YDL 2.

Ian
                    Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
                    go to hell so that they will look forward to
                    making the trip.

Comment

If you want to breathe a bit of life into an ageing PC, then you could try Puppy Linux. It's a streamlined version of Ubuntu, specially adapted for older computers and their parts. It runs the latest kernel and versions of the most popular open source software, like Firefox.

I'm running it on an old Celeron 2ghz, 4X AGP, HP Deskpro, with a Radeon 9600 graphics card, Soundblaster 128 PCI soundcard and 1gb of memory. Don't expect great 3D graphics, but for browsing the internet and running a lot of useful programmes, including Flash for YouTube, it seems to do the business. It's also recommended for even older computers.

I had problems running any version of Ubuntu older than 8.10, because of the video card drivers.

Comment

I tried to use Linux but I had 2 major problems.

1) I'm not computer savvy enough to fully grasp everything I could do in Linux (Downloading and updating software was a chore).

2) I had difficulty getting WINE to emulate my computer games properly. I am an entertainment junky so I guess I am a slave to Windows.

However, I should note that I am sitting on the sidelines waiting for Linux to (once and for all) crack the Windows empire. I loathe windows for so many reasons but until I can have an alternative operating system that functions the way I want it to I'm stuck in Microsoft's pocket.

Comment

Last month I totally wiped Windows from my laptop and have been running on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meercat ever since. Its quite a nice distro and I have had little trouble with it, aside from the initial pain of getting the wifi to work. Since I use a computer mostly for multimedia, and am not much into games, there is very little I actually need windows for. Even gtkpod replaces iTunes for updating my iPod. I have yet to actually use Wine for anything, as for the most part there are native apps to fulfill most of my needs.

Also, I have an old Toshiba Satellite with Ubuntu 9.10 on it (works better than 10.04), and my 1st gen ASUS EEE 700 is running Lubuntu 10.04. Only my HP Pavilion tablet still runs Windows.
                          Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage View Post
                            However, I should note that I am sitting on the sidelines waiting for Linux to (once and for all) crack the Windows empire. I loathe windows for so many reasons but until I can have an alternative operating system that functions the way I want it to I'm stuck in Microsoft's pocket.
                            Personally, I am hoping ReactOS gets into the beta stage, as it looks like a great replacement for XP which can natively run Windows applications.
                            Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

I don't use it as my main OS on anything by choice, but I did get a Chumby for christmas that runs it, and my PowerMac runs OSX, which is based on BSD, whiiiiich is similar in function to Linux. I've run Gentoo on an old xbox in the past, too... that was a real exercise. The Chumby's cool though, you can SSH into it, it runs lighttpd, and if you plug a keyboard into its lone USB port, a terminal window pops up... I can play BBS door games on the sucker, which is cool.

Oh, and my TV (a Samsung) runs Linux behind the scenes. Haven't been able to hack into that sucker yet, though.

So yeah, don't run it as my main OS, but it's good to have a working knowledge of because so many gadgets do or can run it.

Comment

Working...
                              X