Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What's on your desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's on your desktop?

Thought it might be interesting for people to share their current PC desktop so we can see what wallpapers and stuff we all use.

To get the ball rolling, here's my current desktop:

Previously I'd been using the boring green Windows XP Home wallpaper for several months, but recently I came across this decent sized image of Chris Achilleos' cover for Elric at the End of Time and decided I'd found an image worth putting on my desktop.

(Oh, and despite the presence of those Microsoft icons, I actually use Firefox and Thunderbird from the Quick Launch taskbar. Most of my other icons are hidden there as well.)
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

I find the need for a Zen moment now and then. A sunset over the gulf works quite well. I took this one last Fall.
    shrimptrawler.jpg
    Shrimp Trawler Sunset
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
    -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Too many

different desktops for me to worry about these days--- 2 laptops, 2 desktops on my work table right now, a server right next to my left foot, 3 at home---- I love computers, and they love me.

Comment

Sorry, no image-hosting service available to me. Ever since I lost my Image Gallery Moderator status, I have absolutely nowhere to post piccies. Solly.

At work I have a wallpaper of my new kitten.

At home, it's currently the photo of Shirley Manson from the liner photo inside the first Garbage CD. Either you know the one I mean or you don't. If you do, you know why it's my wallpaper.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          Sorry, no image-hosting service available to me.
          PWV, the url for Rose's desktop is http://www.multiverse.org/fora/attac...2&d=1153360714 which I think means she uploaded it as an attachment. I tried a similar thing in this post which sort of worked, but I ended up with a thumbnail as well as the picture I inserted into my post.

Perhaps Rose would like to post her modus operandi in Eldren Technology so we can all learn how to do it?
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I have a landscape photograph of the Chisos Mountains in Big Bend National Park as wallpaper on my home computer. I'm a technological incompetent or I would post it

Comment

I change my desktop alot. I have the cover image of Tales of the White Wolf at the moment.

There is usually some fantasy painting on it or a science fiction image.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I have a photo of my son and my wife ganging up and throwing snowballs at the me and the camera.
                "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Since our Scottie "Josie" died in February I am using a picture from a family holiday in Tuscany from way back in 1997.
                  The Memsahib on the left, then Zoe, "Josie" and Oona - all looking out over the sea from Talamone in the Maremma area. Mountain in the background is Monte Argentario.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by L'Etranger; 07-21-2006, 02:42 AM.
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                    Since our Scottie "Josie" died in February I am using a picture from a family holiday in Tuscany from way back in 1997.
                    My condolences on the loss of your dog, L'E. But, hey! At least she got to see Tuscany!

Originally posted by lemec
                    I change my desktop alot.
                    Me too. There are just so many flavors of eyecandy, it's hard to just stick with one.

Comment

PsychicWarVeteran wrote:
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by lemec
                      I change my desktop alot.
                      Me too. There are just so many flavors of eyecandy, it's hard to just stick with one.
                      Hi, PsychicWarVeteran!

That is so true. I went through various Moorcock book cover, artwork from the R. Feist books, Star Wars, all those LOTR movie desktops,hehe,home photographs etc. I place them on the center mostly, unless they are official desktops that stretch out nicely. I even used Everquest screenshots! lol

by the way, you don't know how many times I have listened to Blue Oyster Cult since I joined this site! haha.

Thanks to you and others here, I expanded my musical tastes and now have
                      "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" on my computer and on cd. hehe

Thanks!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

...artwork from the R. Feist books...
                        He wrote the Riftwar Saga, right? Man, I dug that book, Magician: Apprentice! There was a scene in there wherein a Dawrf gets an heirloom warhammer back from a dragon. That was a killer f*cking scene.

Thanks to you and others here, I expanded my musical tastes and now have "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" on my computer and on cd. hehe
                        It is a killer tune. IMO, the best thing BضC did (and that's saying something!). I think it was the first song I put on my iPod.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelEhart
                          different desktops for me to worry about these days--- 2 laptops, 2 desktops on my work table right now, a server right next to my left foot, 3 at home---- I love computers, and they love me.
                          Love? Sounds like co-dependency.
                          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                            Sorry, no image-hosting service available to me. Ever since I lost my Image Gallery Moderator status, I have absolutely nowhere to post piccies. Solly.
                            No one has lost their Image Hive status. The Image Hive is broken.
                            Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs
                              No one has lost their Image Hive status. The Image Hive is broken.
                              Oh, see, I thought Madrigal's image was hosted here at MM (based on the URL) and thus jumped to assumptions which were, I guess, incorrect.

How did Madrigal Rose do that, anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X