Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Steam Powered Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Powered Car

RMX writes "BMW is unveiling its turbosteamer hybrid engine, which uses the excess heat in the exhaust system and reclaims 80% of it by powering a steam engine that assists the gas engine. Overall, this gives a 15% more efficient engine; and significant additional performance (power and torque) with practically no downside. "This project resolves the apparent contradiction between consumption and emission reductions on one hand, and performance and agility on the other," commented Professor Burkhard Gأ¶schel. Are steam engines the future of environmental-friendly hybrid vehicles?"
    http://science.slashdot.org/science/...tid=126&tid=14
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Problem with steam cars used to be torc and so forth as a result of it taking steam longer to get up to snuff. Be good if they've beaten that. It was that which really scotched production in large quantities of the Stanley Steamer and other steam cars as I remember.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I think a bigger problem would be the lack of steam engine service stations. I bet they could poach the fuck out of an egg.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
        I think a bigger problem would be the lack of steam engine service stations. I bet they could poach the fuck out of an egg.
        Back in the Eighties, I visited an agricultural show, up in the Orkneys. The Orcadians throw nothing away. I saw various ancient machines, tractors, petrol engines, even a working Model T Ford. Great stuff. There was White steamer, car engine from about 1905, on display. It had been modified to drive a boat propeller and was still running fine!

http://americanhistory.si.edu/onthem...object_69.html

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
          :lol:

There's the perfect advertising slogan for them! "The new BMW O'Bean... it won't make attractive people want to have sex with you, but it can poach the fuck out of an egg."

Trademark it, quick! :)
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

What if we do away with all cars for the individual and instead ride around in small two seater and four-seater dirigibles that are powered by a steam driven propeller? Hard to find parking spots, I guess. ;)

AndroMan, you mentioned the Orkneys, isn't that where St. Odrahn or one of those guys is from? :lol:

I guess if the heat comes from the exhaust to go into the steam engine, that would be fine, but if we would convert to regular steam engines, we would go back to having coal pollution, right? (plus that would be limited as well, but make the coal industry rich for awhile)

If man could just make nuclear reactors safe, we would never need fuel in our vehicles ever again. We need to take a leap forward and have a solution to radiaton and waste and take away the risk of explosions, we could all have nuclear powered cars just like how they use it for submarines and aircraft carriers. haha

If we could make a new material for tires tha never wear down or go flat, that would save on all the pollution caused by the tire industry as well. :D

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place to put this musing.
              I have been amused recently to see the Mythbusters using exploding water heaters to do all sorts of odd tricks. They aren't quite going in the direction of the sophisticated steam cars of Warlord of the Air, but still interesting to watch.

Comment

There's also something that uses water weirdly combined with diesel fuel, it's called a "Duet Burn System", but I'm not sure exactly how it works...
                The Ralph Retort

Comment

If we could power cars using cat happiness protons, I would be able to power my car infinitely. Just stroke Corwin under the chin a few times, and I'd have enough power for months.

Seriously, though, I think the only viable clean energy solutions on the horizon are hydrogen fuel cells and/or nuclear fusion.
                  Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

Not neccessarily strictly for cars, but as far an alternative energy goes, there are quite a few ideas listed here:

Fortean Times Message Board :: View topic - Where will our clean energy come from?

And the guys at "Gonzo Science" used to talk about different kinds of fusion quite a bit, they probably still have articles archived:

www.gonzoscience.com
                    The Ralph Retort

Comment

Working...
                    X