Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Firefox 1.5 Warning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 1.5 Warning!

Firefox 1.5 dropped today. I downloaded and installed and the installation was flawless. There is one big warning I have to give you though. Several extensions have yet to be adapted to the new version. At the end of the installation I was presented with a list of extensions that needed updating, but had no updates! This means if you install 1.5 you could be without your customary extensions.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Thanks for the heads-up, Berry. Can you install 1.5 in parallel to 1.0.7, or does it completely replace the older version?
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I don't know.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

What are extensions? I'm computer illiterate. . . :(

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. Firefox usually prompts to upgrade, but it hasn't yet.

On edit: I would wait to update Firefox, because they decided to make a few radical changes that might bug you.

If you must upgrade, consult this install guide on the Mozilla boards, first:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=341279

A really annoying thing, apart from destroying functionality of some extensions and the deleting of your search buttons is the larger spacing between the lines of text within the drop down menus. There is an extension that'll fix it, but the version on Mozilla's site doesn't work with the new version, so you have to go to the author's webpage, which is here:

http://www.supernova00.biz/firefox-d...ipe/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
            What are extensions? I'm computer illiterate. . . :(
            Extensions for FireFox allow the browser to do extra stuff. For example, I have the "Adblock" extension, which stops pop-up ads and the like. I also have "G-Mail Notifier", which tells me when I have mail at my G-Mail account, so I don't have to keep going there to check.
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Or,

.................................................. ..........................The Color Picker Extension,

that allows you to spot exactly which palletted color has been used on a web page and match it.

Comment

At least on OS X, there's also a problem with auto-filling forms. It regularly locks up my browser
                Best/Mario

Comment

Thanks for the warning, Mario. I definitely won't download 1.5 yet if that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario
                    At least on OS X, there's also a problem with auto-filling forms. It regularly locks up my browser
                    That happened to us too, though when I cleared out the old stuff from the Prefs it seems to have done o.k. with a fresh start.

It is way faster in OS X for basic navigation than the old version though. At least on my tired old iMac.
                    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Working...
                    X