Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Yahoo! Messanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo! Messanger

Hey, my handle for Yahoo! is millionspheres.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Just out of curiousity: how many people here are on yahoo? I use AIM and icq, but it seems that no one is ever on those ones any more do you think it is worth switching?
    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Totally unrelated to your post, but have you seen the news? Yahoo have apparently co-operated with the Chinese security people to get a political/human rights activist sentenced to 10 years in jail. They apparently provided the info. to link his P.C. to a message board where he'd given info critical of the regime. This was reported by Journalists Without Frontiers. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4221538.stm Found the link!
      Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Everking,
        I recommend a program called Trillian. It let's you use all the major instant messaging providers at once (although it does cost $25 for the full version that allows more than one account) without having to have half a dozen IM programs open at once. However, you do need a messaging account with, say Yahoo, before you can contact people using Yahoo. I've been using it for the past couple of months and it works quite well.

Originally posted by Silverhand
        Yahoo have apparently co-operated with the Chinese security people to get a political/human rights activist sentenced to 10 years in jail.
        That was nice of them. I see the needs of business out-weigh human rights again. I suppose Yahoo don't want to end up on China's banned list after this:

Earlier this month Yahoo paid $1bn (آ£556m) for a stake in China's biggest e-commerce firm, Alibaba.com.

Comment

Yeah Trillian is good, I have it connecting to AIM ICQ MSN and Yahoo. I prefer Skype though, it's very handy for talking my friend in Japan.

Comment

A free variant to Trillian is Gaim.
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Be honest.

Do you guys really have time for/enjoy IM? I have never undertsood the fascination. It's like having a broken conversation, only via pop-ups. I don't get the allure. Please enlighten me as to the benefits of IM.
              "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
              --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

file exchange, break from the grind and more concise communication. I don't chatter all that much. It's a virtual phone really.

Comment

It's handy if you're like me and are too lazy to have a proper conversation. I use it at work mostly to keep in touch with my friends without arousing too much suspicion from the IT department. Do I have time for it? Probably not, but I use it anyway :)

Comment

By contrast, I might well talk alla dam' time, I like my discourse to have well-defined bridges from one section to the next, et caetera. So IM isn't my cup of sock-squeezings.

However, there is no disputing that IM is popular. It clearly fills a need, and people like it for what it does well. Tous les goأ»ts sont dans la nature.

What actually attracted me to this thread was the small, misspelling of "messenger" in the thread's title. Small mistakes of this sort are quite easy when one is in a hurry, but this particular spelling struck me as inspired. For a moment, I read it as "Yahoo Minnesأ¤nger." This conjured up images of a business model Wagnerian in its impracticality, but one that clearly fills a need. Delightful idea. Thanks, Berry! (Yes, I'm easily amused.)

LSN

Comment

Working...
                    X