Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Boxfresh Macs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxfresh Macs...

Not that I have one, sadly, but I see on the official site that there are a bunch of patches and such to download, to "improve" the basic software and OS that it ships with. The idea of downloading a 37MB file over my internet connection makes my ears bleed at the very thought of it. Basically it's unfeasible. So, my question to the clever people out there, is will the computer run reasonably well straight out of the box, and if not, do those discs that come on the magazines have some of the patches/updates on them too?
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

You can find some patches in magazine CDs, but prolly not all.
    If you need someone to download the updates and ship them to you, just ask.

Comment

Oh and, yes, out-of-the-box macOS is very stable, friendly and fluffy with pink hair and a big smile.

Comment

Here's the space you find yourself Dee. On your slow connection, not only is it a hassle to update your machine, but your computer is of little value to a hacker looking to zombify it.

Mordi offering you a disk with patches is your other solution. Find a friend or connection point with faster service than yours and download the patches and burn them to a CD.

I won't take responsibility for you developing a dependency on Mordi's patches. The fix is sweet. I'm already responsible for 1,000s of hours of people's misspent time. I can't become entwined in some perverse Mac patch peddling affair.

Mordi: 40% of the cut baby or your account is gonna get whacked. :twisted:
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
          If you need someone to download the updates and ship them to you, just ask.
          Thank you, that's very kind. If I do get a computer, I'm hoping to keep it fairly work-oriented, so I shouldn't need anything too wacky. Just the essentials.

Originally posted by Berry
          Find a friend or connection point with faster service than yours and download the patches and burn them to a CD.
          I really need to find friends with computers... and cars... and beach houses in exotic locations across the world.

Is it possible to download Mac patches on a PC, and burn them, or will that cause Mr Gates to reach out of the screen and slap me?

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
            Mordi: 40% of the cut baby or your account is gonna get whacked. :twisted:
            Don't worry, mate.
            That DCS Tshirts business will soon be ours.....MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Originally posted by DCS
            Is it possible to download Mac patches on a PC, and burn them.
            Yes.

Comment

.. but your computer is of little value to a hacker looking to zombify it. ...
              And - in any case - a Mac is of little value to a hacker looking to zombify it. It just won't work! Mac OS X has no vulnerabilities that allow zombie programs to find a home. (Which is not to say it is invulnerable: a skilled BSD hacker can take control of a Mac: but its much, much harder than Windows.)

Apple's patches - Security Updates - do fix real vulnerabilities, but, even where an attack has been demonstrated in the lab, none has been seen in the wild. And many of the demonstration attacks need the hacker to have administrative access on the machine in the first place...

See the Mad as Hell articles on this page for one take on the security benefits of Macs. Another page (though you'll have to trawl for the Mac references; but Stiennon himself uses Mac OS X: 'nuff said).

Some other updates do add real functional value and address problems with third-party devices etc., so will be worth having.

Your friend with a Mac - Hi, there! - doesn't need to burn the update on a CD; a USB flash drive, which you can mail back and forth, will do fine.

Ciao,
              Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                .. but your computer is of little value to a hacker looking to zombify it. ...
                And - in any case - a Mac is of little value to a hacker looking to zombify it. It just won't work! Mac OS X has no vulnerabilities that allow zombie programs to find a home. (Which is not to say it is invulnerable: a skilled BSD hacker can take control of a Mac: but its much, much harder than Windows.)

Apple's patches - Security Updates - do fix real vulnerabilities, but, even where an attack has been demonstrated in the lab, none has been seen in the wild. And many of the demonstration attacks need the hacker to have administrative access on the machine in the first place...

See the Mad as Hell articles on this page for one take on the security benefits of Macs. Another page (though you'll have to trawl for the Mac references; but Stiennon himself uses Mac OS X: 'nuff said).

Some other updates do add real functional value and address problems with third-party devices etc., so will be worth having.

Your friend with a Mac - Hi, there! - doesn't need to burn the update on a CD; a USB flash drive, which you can mail back and forth, will do fine.

Ciao,
                Ant
                Ant, I think I love you. 8O
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Ant, I think I love you. 8O
                  See? Technology there, bringing people together. Lovely.

I'm not really sure what a "flash drive" is, although I do have a rather nice USB memory-stick thing. That currently (hopefully) contains everything I ever saved on the crappy, crashing PC that now sits obsolete at my feet.

I appreciate the offer Ant. My fears about buying in to new technology are actually starting to recede... and they're balanced by the fear of what Berry and Mordi will do to my knee-caps if I don't start making some security payments soon. Bada-bing!

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                    ... I'm not really sure what a "flash drive" is, although I do have a rather nice USB memory-stick thing. ...
                    Same thing.

Gr.,
                    Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                      Same thing.
                      Ah! They're very cute. I was surprised by how tiny they were, but I suppose that's because I'm so blindingly ignorant about computers. Speaking of which...

The minimum system requirements for Photoshop (flashy CS version) are:

PowerPCآ® G3, G4, or G5 processor
                      Mac OS X v.10.2.8 through v.10.4 (10.3.4 through 10.3.8 recommended)
                      320MB of RAM (384MB recommended)
                      750MB of available hard-disk space
                      1,024x768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card
                      CD-ROM drive
                      So, if I went crazy and bought a G4 eMac with:

512MB SDRAM DDR333 - 1 DIMM
                      80GB Ultra ATA drive
                      eMac 1.42GHz
                      DVD/CD-RW drive
                      ATI Radeon 9600 - 64MB DDR
                      Would that be a good fit?

Why I think I need such a powerful soft/hardware combo to produce mildly amusing web-doodles I'm not sure, but you know what they say about a fool and his money...

Comment

I've downgraded from a PC with a nominally better spec to a Mac Mini and it's fantastic. If you've already got a monitor I'd go for that over the eMac as it is basically the same machine (based on same motherboard) and you can upgrade the monitor later. I took about 3 days of using it o upgrade to a 20" LCD!
                        Not only are they tiny, they are nearly silent.

I've just edited and burnt a 2 hour video project to DVD and I could still use the machine for web browsing, running Word, etc, as Unix has far better multi-tasking than Windows.

There's also some good open source software like GIMP and Inkscape you can use if you can't afford Photoshop or Illustrator - which you can use on PC or Linux too if you want to check it out.

However, I would advise downloading the updates - as said above, not for the security patches, but for the other bits. Tiger is a great O/S update, but it was rushed to market and effectively there are still bits to come (some bits are turned off by default as they're not stable yet). Mind you a lot of the patches are to do with networking which might not be an issue for you.

The good thing is that they are very good at connecting to networks - I took mine down my Dad's and it connected into his Windows network with no need to configure anything. If you know anyone with broadband, just pop round and plug it in.

Comment

Actually, that said, the eMac spec you've given is better as it has a 64Mb graphics card, which is the minimum needed for a thing called CoreImage (basically a technology that uses the graphics card rather than the CPU to do a lot of things like moving windows, and 50% of the things Photoshop does). I forgot that they had bumped up the eMac spec.

Comment

Dee - dare I add, that's two people here you can count on for copying any updates onto CD for you.

I've also taken a look at the Apple downloads site and you can download just the security fixes as a seperate update of 5.9Mb.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

And if you're into home-recording music, here's your next portastudio :

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/06/...usic.products/

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
                              Dee - dare I add, that's two people here you can count on for copying any updates onto CD for you.
                              Hurrah!

To be honest, I'm not sure how desperately I'll need "security" updates as such, since I doubt any computer I get will be going on t'internet too soon. That's not a security decision, more a question of having to endulge in some manly DIY to run a phoneline up to my room. Manly DIY is not really my thing (as the blood on my CD tower proves).

But I do appreciate the offer, and the advice. I did look at the minimacs, but since I don't have a mouse/keyboard/monitor at hand, it seemed a bit of a false economy. They are very cute though.

The whole "making music" aspect of the Macs does appeal to the frustrated rock star in me, and I used to have a lot of fun with Music2000 on the PlayStation, but I'm trying to stay focussed on doodles. I want a doodle-making machine. (This dedication will probably last about two days, after which I'll give in to temptation and start crafting very poor sub-Portishead beats :) )

Comment

Working...
                              X