Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dee's SNAFU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dee's SNAFU

My sister decided to tackle our misfiring family computer to day... by taking it to bits. She is a qualified Electrical Engineer, but after hoovering the insides and removing the bugs (literal bugs in this case... ick!) and checking all of the connections... well, it wouldn't even turn on after that. So she ripped out its still-beating hard drive and inserted it into her own machine.

What does all of this have to do with any of you good people? Well, her machine has no USB port for a scanner, and since the internet is now only accessible through her Yahoo!/BT account, I'm not even sure that I can access my e-mail without logging off the internet... so, in essence I'm screwed. :(

There is talk of buying adaptors and "looking at" the problems, but all I know tonight is that there is no physical way for me to create any illustrations, and possibly no way to mail them out even if I could create them.

I truly am sorry about that, but these things are sent to try us.

Hopefully normal service can be resumed... or better than normal service? I don't know. I have other e-mail accounts, but if you've mailed me at Yahoo! it may take a while to respond.

Time to climb that wooden hill to Bedfordshire. Nighty-night all.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Re: Dee's SNAFU

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    My ........ misfiring ....... to ... by ....... bits. She
    hoovering the insides
    ... ..... all of the connec.... .... ....
    ..... ....... turn ..... she ripped ..... still-beating ..... .....

.... all of this have .... ...... ...... people? ...... no port .... .....
    accessible ..... ............ so, ... screwed ....

There is talk ...... ..... them.

...... service?...... no way .... out ......
    to respond.
    ........................... hill to Bedfordshire. Nighty-night all.
    DEE! We can't even decipher your message properly! What the Hell is going on? How can we help you? Or did you meet your French actresses and blew all fuses?
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Woo woo, that sucks, dude. I'm willing to help in any way possible, though the thousands of miles between us may pose a dilemma... :?
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

"Breaker, breaker, this is the Brown Crow. Are you receiving, over?"
        "Brown Crow, you are five by five. Go ahead, over."

It does indeed suck, but I've found a way to access my Yahoo! e-mail now. Hurrah! My sister's ISP have been no help at all so far, but once again my "click on random icons until something works or blows up" strategy has saved the afternoon!

Still can't scan though. :(

I was already considering buying a new computer, and this has certainly given me another good reason to do so. I mean, before I just wanted a faster, shinier machine I could keep in my room... but now I actually have hardware requirements!

Of course, compared to the neighbouring thread about water shortages, my needs are not so great. I doubt anyone ever died because of a line-art shortage.

Rest assured I shall continue to plague this forum, despite the ridiculously slow connection speed of this machine. :)

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer

Still can't scan though. :(
          Dee, I did a quick 'scan' on the net and found this:

http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials...bsectionid=606

So long as you have W98 or above it doesn't look too complicated to add a USB adaptor to an older PC. OK at first glance it looks easy :roll:

Comment

Thanks Grey!

I'll have to pass it along to my sister though, because this really isn't my department... it isn't my machine either, so I'm certainly not going to go messing with its giblets.

Still, it's always nice to get a little perspective on things and realise how much your life (for better or worse) revolves around technology... and how frustratingly slow some computers can actually be.

Ah, enough of my whining! Thanks for the link. :)

Comment

>what's a SNAFU ayway? :oops: <

Comment

S ituation
                N ormal
                A ll
                F ucked
                U p

LSN

Comment

To be quickly followed by FUBAR

Fucked
                  Up
                  Beyond
                  All
                  Recognition
                  Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                  Bakunin

Comment

Mr Dee,

Do you have a http://freecycle.org/ community near you? My one in the cold north of Britian often has older computers for offer. Maybe you can find one and offer it a loving home.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkgreen
                      Do you have a http://freecycle.org/ community near you?
                      Apparently I do! Never heard of them before, but there they are (and over 70 members apparently). Thanks for the suggestion. It's certainly worth considering...

Comment

You might want to badger your employer to get them to take advantage of the scheme that lets them lease PCs to their employees on a tax deductable basis: http://www.knowledgenetwork.gov.uk/o...5?OpenDocument Hampshire County Council is supposed to be arranging this for us, but they're dragging their heels about it...
                        \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                          You might want to badger your employer...
                          Interesting plan, but since that would involve me finding an employer first, I'm not sure it's top of my list... unless Perdix counts?

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                            S ituation
                            N ormal
                            A ll
                            F ucked
                            U p
                            Originally posted by Groakes
                            To be quickly followed by FUBAR

Fucked
                            Up
                            Beyond
                            All
                            Recognition
                            So... I guess a SNAFUBAR would truly suck, huh?
                            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I like the way you called the innards 'giblets'!

I thought you'd been quiet lately, too.
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                              X