Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Strange spam message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange spam message

I just had to share this with everyone. I got a spam email purporting to be about a new shop or something (I never go any further than reading them - if I bother to do that) but the text after that was so strange I thought I'd post it.

Originally posted by The spammer
    aerobacter causate chinaman athwart. collateral astronautic bundoora. corrupt clemson buteo. asinine cardiff chattel.
    bauxite almond asiatic cornerstone. be coulter clive. angelo crosspoint anneal annette. bellatrix cutler camille cream. bistable axle astride camaraderie addle.
    annunciate carpenter apparition. befit barren dairymen countdown backlash bowline. albeit consanguineous agnostic bernie cessna buoyant. aerosol circumscription aftereffect briny.
    alan broach apostle bland alden bilingual. billings cornbread callus bridgetown capillary. btu chivalrous changeover.
    coven bless biggs approval. beach beef caress blind allyn.
    acton convalesce beecham allow. brant bury bench. berkowitz adorn ammoniac aztec creating. agrarian contraceptive crepe craft cuny chipboard.(sic)
    What does it mean? Why don't any of the words start with anything other than a, b or c? And, finally, does Perdix want it for Prototype 1?
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

They've embedded keywords for some purpose. They could be trying to foil spam filters. I suspect they change that group of words with each email. Just speculating.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Ah! Now, you're looking at it from a different angle, Berry. Shed a bit more light on it, as it were.
      It's curious what they come up with, though. It almost makes sense but not quite.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

OK, this is my professional territory...

Berry's absolutely right. The random words are an attempt to confound (some kinds of) spam filters.

Since you received this, I guess it did fool whatever spam filter your ISP uses... or whatever you use on your own machine?

One ploy is, as Berry suggests, to randomly change the content of each email. This fools those filters that depend on "digests" or "signatures" of each message (one of the main strategies of Symantec Brightmail).

Another is to confuse those filters that rely on lexical analysis with Bayesian analysis. These approaches look for words and congeries of words that are characteristic of spam. The rest of the message alone would probably trigger these kind of filters. Add a longer part of the message that contains "unspammy" words and congeries means that the whole message looks less like spam.

Why do they all begin with "a", "b" & "c"? Probably just because the spammer is working through the dictionary looking for uncommon words.

If you received more spam from this source in the future, you might well find they've moved on to "d", "e", "f", ...

Cheers,
        Ant

Comment

Oh! I got one like that a little while ago. I thought it was rather fun, and I actually used it as the model for a piece of fiction in which the protagonist performs a spatio-temporal link with a 'foreign' timestream - I used a string of apparently random words to illustrate the 'downloading' of the impressions and 'milieu character' of the stream into his consciousness. These mails seem to have a pleasant metre and rhythm; We might have to find out who owns the copyright to stick it in Prototype, although (a) stuff 'em, as it's clearly an essentially hostile attack, and (b) we could reply with a nice Trojan or something.
          Interesting, though...

Comment

Reminds me of the Ravenblack random surrealism generator. Funny but a bit disappointing. I think our LSN could create a much better one if he cared to!

Comment

Re: Strange spam message

I hereby copyright the names:

Corrupt Clemson

Angelo Crosspoint

Anneal Annette

Bellatrix Cutler

Y'all saw me... I staked mah claim... now back off 'fore I gets to shootin'...
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                dairymen
                Why don't any of the words start with anything other than a, b or c?
                Not quite all.

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                  Reminds me of the Ravenblack random surrealism generator. Funny but a bit disappointing. I think our LSN could create a much better one if he cared to!
                  Wow that thing is so cool! I made a website just for it! The website is http://surrealworld.proboards43.com/index.cgi

Comment

I suspect our spammer would be disappointed to discover something other than sales having been generated by his, well, spam.
                    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                      Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                      dairymen
                      Why don't any of the words start with anything other than a, b or c?
                      Not quite all.
                      I actually thought I'd seen one but when I'd read through it about three times again and not spotted it I thought I was mistaken.

I just had a go on the random surrealism generator and it came up with 'An angry partridge! Perdix I think you could be subtly influencing it!

Comment

The Random Generator told me:

"DO NOT LEAVE IT IS NOT LIGHTER-THAN-AIR!"

Wise words there for my good friend Bastable...
                        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Indeed.

Everything relates.

Comment

I'm sure one could find an 'asinine Cardiff chattel' on ebay.

Comment

An angry partridge could be a brown grouse, of course. It depends how far away you are when you see it.
                              By the way, is there a way out or do I have to find the way in again ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                              X