Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Not "spellchecko," but what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not "spellchecko," but what?

This is a non-Moorcock question, but I reckon I will never find a more literate (and word-processor-literate) bunch to ask it of, so:

I read some years ago about a word someone had invented for the errors which a spell-checker won’t pick up.

For example if you type fro instead of for, nay instead of any, form instead of from (this is just from today’s typing !) the spellchecker detects words correctly spelled and so doesn’t alert you to your error(s).

Another good error is “typo�, which I’ve typed as a typo for “type� !
    (And it wasn’t because of a hypo, and I’m not perpetrating a hype.)

So, just as the word typo came in, meaning typing error, there is a word for this kind of typo which you may miss if you rely too much on your spellchecker…

…but I have forgotten the word ! And no-one I know has ever heard or seen it. About all I can remember is that it wasn’t “spellchecko�! It was short’n’sweeter than that.

Over to you.

(If you don’t know the word, maybe you can make up a good alternative!)

Also, anyone got nay better examples? I had a good one this moaning but I can't remember it!

Best wishes to all,
    Guy

I almost never use spellcheck for that reason. Proper names. Fantastic names. All that stuff gets queried and it lets real errors go. By and large, I don't need it, since I have a pretty good memory of how to spell regular words but really need help with proper names! Instead, I have my old journalist's dictionary from my Fleetway days and usually try to use an encyclopaedia (pedia ?) for proper names. Actually quicker for me than using electronic aids. I haven't heard of that technology which actually can spell the right word in the right context, but I'm not really the person you're asking, anyway! Still think a regular dictionary works best!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Microsoft Word has a built in grammer checker that will often spot those correctly spelled words in the incorrect place. But just like Spellcheck, Grammercheck occassionally misses glaring errors.

As for a word that spellcheck never gets...*shrug* I can't help you there. Sorry.
      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Apolypseudosyntaxia malelectronica may be the medical term for the problem...

Comment

Or, perhaps the phenomenon is due to a splinter group of ex-Soviet KGB agents attempting to subvert the technology-rich West? That would make them Spell-Chekists.

A-ha. A-ha ha ha ha. A HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAA!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
            I almost never use spellcheck for that reason. Proper names. Fantastic names. All that stuff gets queried and it lets real errors go. By and large, I don't need it, since I have a pretty good memory of how to spell regular words but really need help with proper names!
            My spelling is pretty good but my typing is terrible!!!

Which is why I like my spellchecker.

Over the last year or so I have had to stop writing notes at work and use the computer screen. A mixture of coded entries and free text. The free text areas have no spell check. Unbelievable in 2005. A source of much misery as I go over every note a second time correcting errors. And still missing some. This process would be much quicker with spellchecking and speed is of the essence (as Jerry C might say).

Comment

Working...
            X