Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Matter Transmission Studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matter Transmission Studies

Algis Budry's and A.E. van Vogt's have been cited in the following Teleportation Physics Study. Are you familiar with their work?

http://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf

Re: Matter Transmission Studies

Originally posted by feuerfuchs
    Algis Budry's and A.E. van Vogt's have been cited in the following Teleportation Physics Study. Are you familiar with their work?

http://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf
    Without looking at the paper in question, I'd assume they're referring to Budrys' Rogue
    Moon
    , where teleportation to the Moon is a central piece of the plot machinery. The
    original novella version of the book was included in Volume II of The Science Fiction Hall
    of Fame
    , edited by Ben Bova. The story is interesting, but a bit dated.

Not sure which particular Van Vogt work they had in mind, but I'd hazard it was
    The World of Null-A. Most people over a certain age who were s-f readers in
    their errant youth are familiar with that work. (Not to mention Damon Knight's
    classic demolition job on it, which can be found in In Search of Wonder.)

Interesting that research is being put into this concept. I've heard a little about it, and
    it still sounds a bit dubious at this point, and still at the Gedank-experiment stage.
    Perhaps there've been advances I've not yet seen.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
      Is that study even real? The title seems too straight forward.
      I did a quick check of the first few pages. I've seen the document before. It's "real" in the
      sense that it was commissioned as a study under the aegis of the Air Force's research arm.
      It's mostly a concept paper, in which it tries to identify and map out possible areas for
      exploration of the idea. Such papers are very much "blue sky."

This paper doesn't imply that teleportation is a fact. I've seen lots of scientific concept
      papers of this sort over the years. They're willing to entertain all sorts of notions as long
      as they aren't outside the pale of what's known to be possible. That doesn't make any
      particular avenue of investigation a likely winner.

So take it with a grain of salt.

LSN

Comment

Doing a search on it, I've turned up another forum discussion on the matter.

http://uplink.space.com/showflat.php...o&Number=80432

Apparently their research concluded that it is an actual Air Force study, although the researcher and his associates, while technically legitimate, don't enjoy the highest level of credibility in the scientific community.

What interests me the most in scanning through the study is the discussion of government studies on psychokinetic activity. It's presented here as if it's pretty much a proven fact that some people are able to move and affect objects with their minds. How come I never heard about it? Interesting stuff anyway, thanks for the link.

Comment

Mmmmm, I'd heard of some non-practical (and presumably corollary) teleportation effects with tunnel diodes (in the sense that a physical iota goes from here to there without occupying the intervening space), but this is the first I'd heard of even a semi-serious look at teleportation.

Neet stuff.

I think I'll take the bus for now, though. :D

Comment

The secret is Ethanol + Coke. Mr M said so. (see 'Cloned cats'. Really)

Comment

Remember 'jaunting' in Tiger, Tiger! by Bester ? The first jaunter was terrified into teleporting. I know this works. Linda had a phobia about snakes (which she's more on top of these days, since we came to live in Texas, where they have a lot of deadly snakes). This was in Tunisia, as I recall. A snake charmer suddenly turned up and his cobra started curling out of the basket. I still swear I witnessed Linda disappear before my eyes and reappear some twenty five feet behind me, having had to have leapt over a crowd of people to do it.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                Mmmmm, I'd heard of some non-practical (and presumably corollary) teleportation effects with tunnel diodes (in the sense that a physical iota goes from here to there without occupying the intervening space), but this is the first I'd heard of even a semi-serious look at teleportation.
                quantum teleportation does have practical effects, though nothing bigger than an atom is likely to be teleported using the present technology. I wouldn't be able to explain the theory here, in english and without any material at hand to refresh my memory. Anyone interested can google for Anton Zeilinger.

Comment

Animals can teleport.
                  When i was 18 and a Marine stuck in Jacksonville, NC--
                  I was so bored one day (like there's a lot you can do in that tiny military town), I decided to chase one of the many
                  squirrels around. I was sure I had him trapped when he ran to the base of one of the big trees. I rounded the tree sure that he had nowhere to go but up the tree and I was so close that I could get him. I would soon be doing my captured squirrel victory dance, but alas, he was nowhere to be found.
                  There was no other explanation.
                  He obviously teleported.

Comment

Dave,

You look a bit too much like a young Malcolm McDowell/ Ewan McGreggor/ Jack Black (if he wasn't fat) with a squirrel body.
                    I'm terrified!
                    All I have left is a half full jar of cashews.
                    Will that appease you?

::Hide behind couch::

Comment

Yes. Calligula.

\"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                      Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                        Sometimes at night I like to march around my house in a fever, but that has gotten more and more infrequent as I get older.
                        There's certainly nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't recommend it at an ex girlfriends house though-- especially if it's at 2 am and you have a 3/4 empty bottle of bourbon in hand. You can try to convince the police that you are there to do some Christmas Carolling, but you picked a bad time of day and I don't think that screaming the lyrics: "Jingle BEEEELS! You damn concubine!" qualifies as carolling. In fact, I think it qualifies as a crime instead! Especially if you're doing it in July! Not to mention the fact you're only wearing a pair of boxers. (I hope they were clean at least!)

Yeah. Most of my fiction draws upon real experiences....

Good night
                        \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"

Comment

No. I don't drink much.
                          I just was inspired by this guy named Louis CK.

There's video clips on this site...
                          http://www.louisck.com/

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...personid-99710

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Comment

I'll be interested in your answer Jerico, but I'd also like to ask Adlerian how you get a picture into the area where the text appears on a post, like you did earlier on in this thread. Or if Krijciek is reading this, like you did on the 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' thread.
                            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                            X