Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Wikipedia’s celebrity voice archives - I think they are a good idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wikipedia’s celebrity voice archives - I think they are a good idea.

Stephen fry with a beard Stephen Fry becomes one of the first celebrities to add his voice to his Wikipedia biography for all to hear. Photograph: Leon Neal/AFP/Getty Images

Generations to come will be able to hear what celebrities and notable individuals actually sounded like, starting with Stephen Fry, thanks to Wikipedia’s new voice recording project.

The Wikipedia Voice Intro Project (WikiVIP) aims to add the voice of celebrities, scientists, artists and other people of note from around the world to their Wikipedia biographies, providing 10 seconds or so of audio to enable current and future readers to know what they sounded like.

The project kicked off with Stephen Fry, often an advocate for technology and its use in education and the free dissemination of information, who recorded a sample of his voice for use on his Wikipedia biography.

“Hello, my name is Stephen Fry, I was born in London and I’ve been in the entertainment business, well I suppose since 1981,” said Fry in the freely available audio recording.

The BBC is also working with Wikipedia on the project to extract small clips of audio recordings of targeted people from certain BBC programmes for inclusion on Wikipedia...
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ves?CMP=twt_gu

I think this is very cool, and a wonderful idea.

It's also good to have the natural voice recorded for those mostly only recorded in a character voice.

Perhaps writers will jump on this so they can be added to the archives.

I know Mike's voice has been recorded in the past, however, it would be awesome if Mike recorded a special message just for this. Multiple and longer length messages would be very good as well!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Oh! Imagine if we had audio treats like this 500 years ago.

(or more)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
    X