Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Technology questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerico
    replied
    thanks, pard.

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Jer, the pict format was developed by Apple way back ('84) . Pretty much obsolete now. If you you just gotta know more, there's more info here:

http://www.prepressure.com/formats/pict/fileformat.htm

Leave a comment:

• krunky
    replied
    Pink Floyd refs, Jules? Have you no shame, man?

Naw, I like 'em too - quite a bit actually.

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied
    Grooving with several species of small furry animals in a cave?

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    I'm no Bill Gates. This is for everyone.

what is "pict" format usually used for?

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    There is no such thing as hijacking on this thread.

If I called it, Jerico's Technology Questions thread,
    then maybe I'd be communicating that I want to monopolize it or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• krunky
    replied
    Oh, I think we should hijack this thread in all kinds of new and good directions - it could be like the current events thread, except for tech questions!

BTW, not my business or problem, but do we really want to give nearly everyone access to upload images? That seems like it would be a mistake.

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Oh, make no mistake, I have robbed them already. I just haven't put 'em in the gallery yet.

Thing is, so much stuff is getting added so quickly that I felt the need to back off for a bit and regroup. I had this whole method down that has gone by the wayside now that everybody and his brother can upload images. It's now a matter of deciding to go in and tackle the beast...

...which I shall be doing tonight, most likely. It's not that I'm overwhelmed so much as needing to be in the right mood to do the work.

Sorry to divert your thread, Jerico. :roll:

Leave a comment:

• krunky
    replied
    Okay.

I asked cuz I noticed you were slacking on robbing from my "Desktop Images" thread. In fact, I think you are still down two images from the Gould portfolio plates...

C'mon Bastard, get on it!

Real work is unimportant...

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Originally posted by krunky
    Does the server have a program that auto-magically does this image sizing, or does one need to submit 3 images in various sizes?
    Good question, krunky. The software reduces the size auto-magically. Submit your largest size (within reason, man) and the software will do the rest. If the image is no bigger than the set size for the first image, a second image is not generated. That is to say it only reduces images, it does not enlarge them. This is why some only have one image (other than the thumbnail) and others have more.

Be sure to give a decent caption, too. Otherwise, it just inputs the filename as the caption, which sucks.

There are different methods available to you when you click "Add New Photos." I prefer the old browse and upload method. Just click browse and point to the image location on your HD. Enter the caption in the next field and upload that puppy.

<flandersvoice>Oh, and if you would be so gray-diddly-acious as to put some thought into which album you upload to, that would be absatively, posilutely splendorific! </flandersvoice>

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• krunky
    replied
    I'll have a more complete answer for this soonish as I just bought a semi-fancy video card from ATI - I think it was the All-in-wonder 9600XT - it has all kinds of junk hanging off the back end. Not too expensive either, about $200 USD I think...

Part of my intent was to transfer old PBS Shakespeare on VHS to DVD, but I also have some Aeon Flux and other such stuff to transfer as well. Lot's of things have yet to make it to DVD. Or they made it and disappeared again and are now hard to find or very expensive. Or they made it but they are different versions - "Mishima," "1984"...

It's good to have a thread like this to put all those kinds of crazy under.

I wouldn't mind a DIY on how to upload images to the Image Gallery...the part that confounds me most is the 3 different sizes for each image. It seems like their is a preview thumbnail, click through to the image itself, and then another click through to a larger (largest) image. Does the server have a program that auto-magically does this image sizing, or does one need to submit 3 images in various sizes?

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied
    Re: Technology questions

Originally posted by Jerico
    Ignorant Guy (Jer): What is the cheapest and easiest technology/ software to convert VHS (analog?) to digital (mpeg) ??

Thanks in advance
    Probably a good digital video camera. I have a Canon ZR60. I believe
    you can use the S-Video connectors to hook to your VCR and
    record your VHS to mini DV tape, and then dump to your PC/Mac
    and use whatever software at your disposal.

Won't be the fastest or highest quality, but it is probably cheapest and
    easiest.

Well, DVD Recorder is easiest, just not sure about cheapest. And it won't
    be in mpeg/mpg format unless you dump the DVD on your computer.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied
    A DVD recorder - as it will record the disc without DRM it should then be trivial to stick the DVD in your PC and convert to MPEG. Easier than fiddling around with Video in cards, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    started a topic Technology questions

Technology questions

Ignorant Guy (Jer): What is the cheapest and easiest technology/ software to convert VHS (analog?) to digital (mpeg) ??

Thanks in advance
Working...
X