Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Warning: do not buy the Show Pieces box set if you're outside Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: do not buy the Show Pieces box set if you're outside Europe

The discs are PAL region restricted for some stupid reason. What a waste of my money. The whole box set fiasco was much more stress and money than it was worth for me.

A year late, shipped to the wrong address and PAL discs despite no indication of the region restriction on the kickstarter or on the worthless LEX site

*edit, the LEX site says the discs are region 0 which mean they play on all dvd players, it's a lie.

*edit OK so it works on my xbox360 but not on my Sony bluray player or my ps3, so either it's a problem with Sony disc drives or the xbox360 is just region free.
    Last edited by Octo Seven; 09-30-2015, 05:51 PM.

Sorry to hear about that Octo. glad you can play them on the Xbox. PAL is not the same thing as region, though, it's the way the discs were encoded. Some countries use PAL and some NTSC, this goes all the way back to different types of TV systems. Region locking is just a DVD thing. So something can be PAL and still be region 0, it can be NTSC and be region 0 and not able to be played on PAL equipment. A lot of players can handle both PAL and NTSC but may still be region locked. So I don't think they were lying ,they just should have made it really clear the discs might not play on some players!

I've had three sony players and none of them can be region unlocked, and all of them were NTSC only. I think it's because DVD and Blu-ray were not only developed by Sony, sony is a big film and music company.

It's funny, meanwhile, Philips, who also helped develop DVD, usually makes players that are both PAL and NTSC and also can be hacked for region freeness. But they don't make movies.
    Last edited by opaloka; 10-01-2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Various comments on the Kickstarter page for His Heavy Heart about the PAL/NTSC issues with the DVD - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...heart/comments

One backer reports:
      "I just received confirmation from Lex that they ordered NTSC discs but were provided PAL format. They're working with the manufacturer to resolve the situation now."

Possible that the fault doesn't lie with Lex but rather the DVD manufacturer. Much as it may be frustrating you ought to get in touch with Lex to arrange a replacement. Advice on the comments page seems to be to send an email to [email protected]s.com marked 'formal complaint' to get best response.

Hope this helps some & you get a successful resolution in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Warning: do not buy the Show Pieces box set if you're outside Europe

Btw, the PAL format is the broadcast standard in a lot of territories outside of Europe (ie (parts of) Africa, South America, Australia, India, Asia, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

One of my players apparently works with SECAM but I don't have any discs to test it.

Comment

If you've got a computer, or a laptop, with a dvd player, try the VLC media player. I bought a special edition copy of Kevin Smith's Mallrats, in a junk shop a few months ago. It turned out it was a US copy, Region 1 and NTSC. The VLC player still played it. Mind you some some DVD players are still locked to a particular region.

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice guys. Sorry about the grumpy post. Just been a frustrating and stressful time recently.

Comment

Working...
              X