Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Captain Britain Omnibus vol. 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Britain Omnibus vol. 1

The gaping hole in my Moore collection. I've never read his early Marvel stuff, I think most of it is included in this mammoth hardcover. It came out in 2009 and was never reprinted so it goes for very high prices. I would love to get my hands on it, only major Moore comic arc I've yet to read. If anyone sees it for a reasonable price being sold anywhere but amazon please let me know.

for reference

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Britai.../dp/0785137602

Also if anyone has read the material, was it good?

Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
    The gaping hole in my Moore collection. I've never read his early Marvel stuff, I think most of it is included in this mammoth hardcover. It came out in 2009 and was never reprinted so it goes for very high prices. I would love to get my hands on it, only major Moore comic arc I've yet to read. If anyone sees it for a reasonable price being sold anywhere but amazon please let me know.

for reference

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Britai.../dp/0785137602

Also if anyone has read the material, was it good?
    Superb! I read every episode as it came out in various b&w UK publications and still have them all. If you want to read only the Moore issues - in colour - you can get a different hardback edition of those easily and inexpensively:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Of...vel_Collection

It's issue #11. These go for a tenner new in the UK, and are also sold in Ireland. According to the blurb in the front you can order back issues through your newsagent or through 'Jacklin Enterprises UK'.

The Delano issues included in the Omnibus are also pretty good - again I have the original b&ws - but these haven't yet been issued by them.

Comment

Thanks so much for the info! Hopefully I can find somewhere that will ship it to Canada.

Comment

Thanks so much for the info! Hopefully I can find somewhere that will ship it to Canada.
        Bear in mind that the first 40+ pages were written by Dave Thorpe and are pretty bad. Also, this was Alan Davis's first pro work so the art's none too hot either, but you need that stuff for Moore's continuation of it to make sense. Moore quickly turns a sow's ear into a silk purse and by the end of their run davis is producing the superb work we know him for today.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Hansen View Post
          Bear in mind that the first 40+ pages were written by Dave Thorpe and are pretty bad. Also, this was Alan Davis's first pro work so the art's none too hot either, but you need that stuff for Moore's continuation of it to make sense. Moore quickly turns a sow's ear into a silk purse and by the end of their run davis is producing the superb work we know him for today.
          I read a lot of comics from the 1940's so I can handle a more crude style of art. Can't wait to read it, will be nice to map Moore and Davis'searly artistic progression. I can't find it anywhere here so I'm gonna ask my family back home to tack it down and send it to me.

Comment

Here's what that edition looks like, btw:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Brit...818KVM0ZQYCXNC

Scroll down and you'll also see the paperback edition of the Delano/Davies tales that was published maybe a dozen years ago. Taken together, theses two feature the same material as the Omnibud.

Comment

Captain Britain was issued here in Brazil as well

http://www.paninicomics.com.br/web/g...iewItem=788291

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I want it so bad!

Comment

Here it is my copy acquired two days ago:

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                  "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

nice! I need to acquire this. I hate Canadian shipping prices.

Comment

Abusive as here I suppose. The good thing is that Panini has acquired Marvel UK and Panini has a HUGE Brazilian arm, which has released many great comics. At this time though, it was another company who is putting all these Marvel titles here.

Marvel titles sell like water. Alan Moore titles as well ( this is one thing that makes me proud of my fellow Brazilians, we seem to be huge fans of Alan Moore ).

Comment

Working...
                      X