Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Providence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
    I will type them out for you if you want. My covers have them. they're small quotations from letters.
    That would be terrific if it's not too much trouble or effort. I mean, smartphone photos would do just as well if it was quicker/easier; I suppose it depends on how much text there is to type out.

The annotations, as well as filling in gaps in my HPL knowledge, also have some interesting theories as to the reality (realities) of the narrative itself, building upon the foundations that Moore & Burrows laid down for Neonomicon.
    Turns out my issue 2 is the wraparound too, Here are the quotes from 1, note the text is cropped in the first photo, you're missing "To Maurice W Moe, May 18th, 1922"

issue 3

Issue 4

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, O7; much appreciated.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Providence no. 5 is in stores today, so is Crossed +100 issue 9 and Sandman Overture number 6

Comment

The print editions of Providence #5 reprinted the back cover text from Providence #4 by mistake. However digital editions weren't affected so the correct text should be:
          "My mental picture of Arkham is of a town something like Salem in atmosphere & style of houses, but more hilly… The street layout is nothing like Salem’s. As to the location of Arkham—I fancy I place the town & the imaginary Miskatonic somewhere north of Salem—perhaps near Manchester."
          —To F. Lee Baldwin, April 29, 1934.
          Source: Joe Linton's annotations for Providence #5

The main background reading text for Providence #5 is 'The Dreams in the Witch House' although there are also references to 'The Colour Out of Space', 'The Thing on the Doorstep' & 'Herbert West - Reanimator' as well as 'In the Walls of Eryx' from which the chapter derives its title.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

That's the coolest quote so far. Always just assumed Arkham was a fictional Boston. BTW Was the little girl he meets on the street the Woman from 'The Thing On The Doorstep?"

I feel like each issue gets better than the last, great series so far. Dreams In The Witch House and Colour Out of Space are my two fave HPL stories so this issue was special to me. Will be interesting to see how our protagonist handles

Does anyone else think the main character is going to get abruptly killed at some point, only for the real HP Lovecraft to stumble upon his journal?

Comment

BTW Was the little girl he meets on the street the Woman from 'The Thing On The Doorstep?"
              As I understand it she is from 'TTotD', yes. She's

Does anyone else think the main character is going to get abruptly killed at some point, only for the real HP Lovecraft to stumble upon his journal?
              The smart money (i.e. those HPL aficionados who know the Mythos better than me) seem to think that

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                BTW Was the little girl he meets on the street the Woman from 'The Thing On The Doorstep?"
                As I understand it she is from 'TTotD', yes. She's

The smart money (i.e. those HPL aficionados who know the Mythos better than me) seem to think that
                I feel he might be a John the Baptist type character. Definitely a herald, the Witch pretty much tells him she was waiting for him, might explain why no one has killed him yet despite the insanely dangerous scenarios he is obliviously strolling through, they know he will help chronicle their legacy.

The Thing On The Doorstep is not his best tale, definitely the most blatantly sexist story of his, it's only interesting in that it's a spin-off to The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Thinly veiled allegory of a man losing his personality to a strong-willed wife lol

Comment

Does anyone else wonder if Moore has been reading Joyce lately? The excellent use of puns in this tale remind me of the mad Irishman sometimes, not that Moore is new to puns, Watchmen was full of them too.

Comment

Working...
                  X