Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Providence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence

Opinions please?

Just found this Great video links included http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/...-with-cthulhu/

Comment

Thanks for the link! Moore on top form there, with his short, but pithy, analyses of Lovecraft's work.

[Here's hoping that some kindly mod might fix the title? It's Providence.]

Comment

Sorry for misspelling the thread title, was a bit drunk last night lol

Comment

I gotta start reading Alan Moore's stuff; I admire the hell outta the guy but have yet to partake from any of his works.
          When's he gonna finish that bleeding-magick book?! That's what I've really been waiting to sink my teeth into...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeeDoubleYou View Post
            I gotta start reading Alan Moore's stuff; I admire the hell outta the guy but have yet to partake from any of his works.
            When's he gonna finish that bleeding-magick book?! That's what I've really been waiting to sink my teeth into...
            You should start with The Ballad Of Halo Jones or Future Shocks, DR and Quinch is also good fun. He has an intimidating amount of stuff so its probably best to start on his early works.

Comment

I didn't like Neonomicon all that much, but would like to check out Providence.

Unfortunately, much like the recent Elric comics, the comic stores round here don't seem to get many copies in, and those they do sell out quickly. Maybe it's for the best, though, and I should just wait for a TPB collection as I can't stand waiting for installments.

Comment

The preview pages I've seen remind me of nothing so much as some of the European strips I've been looking at recently. Could be a good sign.

Comment

You might be relieved to know the first issue is nothing like Neonomicon other than the page layouts and art but it's early days yet. There are no supernatural elements at all in issue one and it didn't suffer for it. Seems like it could be a far less visceral and more thoughtful comic, not that I didn't enjoy Neonomicon or The Courtyard.

Comment

My sense of underwhelment probably had a bit to do with the high standards set by other Moore works. For instance, the mythos glossolalia of "The Courtyard" had me pining for the gleeful onomatopoeia of the Swamp Thing issue where he comes up through the drain to visit Abby while she's having a bath.

I also found the racist cop character a bit over the top. Had to wonder if it was some sort of homage or reference to the somewhat ridiculous submarine captain in Lovecraft's "The Temple." And it's probably just me, but it strained my credulity a bit that the pregnant lady didn't figure out what the Deep One's interest in her pee was about. I'd expect somebody with a past like hers to have some familiariaty with early pregnancy tests. And the passage where one of the characters says Lovecraft repudiated his racism later in life (even if I weren't playing the role of hardliner on the racism issue here) was, in my opinion, terribly irresponsible.

I did, however, find the resolution about Cthulhu and R'lyeh not existing yet a fairly intriguing mythos twist. That was really thought provoking and really lifted the story up for me -- even though earlier sections in the story give Mr. Morrison more fuel for his rapey jab. And the "portal" picture on the wall was pretty nifty too.

I'm still definitely interested in Providence. But in spite of my great appreciation of Moore (been reading him since Swamp Thing #44) I think when it comes to not getting too comfortable with Lovecraft's legacies, Thomas Ligotti is in the lead. He seems to eschew the tentacles though -- which I suppose is the reason he's not come up in the long running Lovecraft thread. Also have to wonder why Pugmire hasn't had any mention either. He really seems the author most intent on writing in, and honouring, the Lovecraftian mode.
                    Last edited by Heresiologist; 06-06-2015, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Have you read the first Moore/Burrows Lovecraft story? The name eludes me now, it was a short about HPL's dad losing his mind in a motel room. It was included in the Avatar Press Yuggoth Cultures collection. It's an interesting beginning to their spin on the 'mythos'.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                        [Here's hoping that some kindly mod might fix the title? It's Providence.]
                        Your wish is our command...
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by SeeDoubleYou View Post
                          Alan was co-writing the magic book with Steve Moore who sadly passed away last year. As far as I know - and I have no special insight - among his various other projects Alan is currently finishing off his long-awaited second novel Jerusalem although he's stated that he intends to complete The Bumper Book of Magic "in due course".

Re: Providence - it looks to me like it's going to be a slow burn at least initially, particularly as the story isn't picking up directly from the end of Neonomicon (which I liked very much). I expect the two narratives (three if you include The Courtyard) will eventually interconnect as Providence gets closer to the modern day but I'm happy to go at Moore's pace and see where he and Jacen take us.
                          Last edited by David Mosley; 06-08-2015, 04:37 AM.
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I think Mr. Steve Moore's passing-on adds credence to the project...in fact, I'd think that Alan's tardiness is Alan simply waiting on Steve's astral-proofs/drafts to download; you know, pandimensional buffering-speeds and all. I mean, you can always ParaFaceTime, but Alan's a hardcopy kinda guy...uhhh, deadlines, right Steve?
                            sigpic

Comment

The magic book is on the way, guys. I think he finished it a few weeks ago, read about it in an interview but don't remember where. It will probably be out by next year at the latest.

*edit* maybe not finished but definitely still on the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X