Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Alan Moore Interview On Radio4 [Chain Reaction]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Moore Interview On Radio4 [Chain Reaction]

Last week Stewart Lee (partially responsible for 'Jerry Springer: The Musical'), interviewed Alan Moore on the BBC Radio4 programme Chain Reaction. This week, Alan Moore interviews Brian Eno.

You can still catch last week's interview on the web site. Link:

Chain Reaction: Stewart Lee Interviews Alan Moore

I've just listened to the interview and it was very good. Quite a bit of Moore's philosophy and experience of the UK and US comics industry gets an airing. It's also very funny.

The link above may not be working. You could also try clicking on the 'Chain Reaction' link on the 'Listen Again'' page.

Link:
    BBC Radio4: Listen Again

Comment

Chain Reaction is being re-run on Radio 4 on Thursday nights at about 11o'clock. I think Alan Moore / Stewart Lee will be this week coming uyp, and Moore / Eno next week. This also means they are coming round on the "listen again" downlaods

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
        Chain Reaction is being re-run on Radio 4 on Thursday nights at about 11o'clock. I think Alan Moore / Stewart Lee will be this week coming uyp, and Moore / Eno next week. This also means they are coming round on the "listen again" downlaods

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml
        Sorry, that should have read TUESDAY night, 11p.m.

That's TOMORROW NIGHT!

The Listen Again feature will only be there for a week after broadcast

Comment

While a lot of the more recent Chain Reaction episodes (from Series 2 to 8) are available permanently on BBC iPlayer, those from Series 1 - which includes the two Alan Moore interviews (first with Stewart Lee and then with Brian Eno) - are not, for some reason. (Probably because there weren't enough comedians or something.*)

However, Rich Johnstone made transcripts of the two shows, the first which is still available at Comic Book Resources but the second, which was hosted at readyourselfraw.com isn't any longer.

Except, thanks to the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, it can be retrieved from the depths of the Interwebz's trash can.

Chain Reaction, S1, E5: Stewart Lee talks to Alan Moore (transcript)
          Chain Reaction, S1, E6: Alan Moore talks to Brian Eno (transcript)

STOP PRESS: A little more online digging does reveal that the episodes (for some reason labelled Series 5!) are available for purchase/download in mp3 format from AudioGo for £1.24 each: E5, E6.

*ISTM that the concept for CR has a lot of potential for interesting interviews but the BBC seems content to let comedians interview other comedians they know on the comedy circuit rather than branching out into other fields. There are some exceptions of course but on the whole the interviewee choices are very conservation imo.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

AM: The DC comics were always a lot more true blue. Very enjoyable, but they were big, brave uncles and aunties who probably insisted on a high standard of you know mental and physical hygiene. (audience laughs) Whereas the Stan Lee stuff, the Marvel comics, he went from one dimensional characters whose only characteristic was they dressed up in costumes and did good. Whereas Stan Lee had this huge break through of two-dimensional characters. (audience laughs) So, they dress up in costumes and do good, but they've got a bad heart. (audience laughs) Or a bad leg. (audience laughs) I actually did think for a long while that having a bad leg was an actual character trait. (audience laughs)
            HEHEHEHEHEHEH
            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I love both episodes. I love how Moore is a bit fanboyish towards Eno and Eno acts like he doesn't know who Moore is. It's weird to see such a god in his own field be humbled by another god in a different field. Two true geniuses.

Comment

Working...
              X