Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Alan Moore's 'Crossed +100' (Avatar Press) [2x merged]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Moore's 'Crossed +100' (Avatar Press) [2x merged]

Alan Moore is to wrie an original and self-contained six-part series set within Garth Ennis's epidemic-infected Crossed universe. The series, entitled Crossed: +100, takes place 100 years on from the date of the original Crossed outbreak and explores what has happened to the Crossed over such a long period of time, and what fate awaits humanity after losing the basic elements of modern civilization.

Originally posted by Alan Moore
    What kind of human future would there be at all? Would humans all be gone? Once I started thinking about this, and I checked all this with Garth, and he thought that it was logical, it seems pretty sound. So, that’s been part of the thrill of it. I think people think of Crossed as a horror story, and I can see why. It is extremely horrible. But actually I’ve always had my problems with genre, and I am coming to the conclusion that genre has really only ever been a convenience.

Now, looking at Crossed, I was actually thinking that this, for my purposes, is a horror story, but it’s also a science fiction story. I was thinking that Crossed is actually a science fiction story that has got a really, really high horror quotient. So that was the way that I started approaching it. I was treated Crossed as a “What if?” story, which is the premise of most science fiction.
    Launching in December, art will be provided Gabriel Andrade but Moore himself will also design every single cover of the series.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Thanks for the heads up. I might even check out the original Ennis run of this series in a trade. I can't remember ever reading a truly bad Ennis comic...

Comment

Alan Moore to write 'Crossed: +100' for Avatar Press

A Bleeding Cool interview with Alan Moore discussing his take on the future world of the Crossed.
      HMS: So, this is partly about the future’s perception of the past?

AM: Right. The luxuries in thinking that we used to afford ourselves and how that would look from the perspective of such a time is an awful lot of what this book is about. Yes, it has, I think, quite a good plot dealing with events in 2108, but one of the most powerful things in the book in as far as I’ve written it so far, is the reflection from this kind of imagined future glass of ourselves and our own culture. What would we look like through their eyes? What would seem to them to be fruitless, pointless, extravagant, useless, destructive, from the point of view of where they happen to be?

HMS: In terms of what would still be useful to them and what would not be?

AM: Yes. I think that they would, at the same time, be desperate to retrieve as much of the useful parts of that culture as they could. They would realize what an extraordinary wealth of information that culture had and how useful that could be. There was a book available from Paladin in the 1970’s called How Things Work Volumes 1 and 2 and I think on the cover of Volume 2, there is a diagram of a zipper, explaining how zippers work. If you had just one copy of Volume 1 and 2 of How Things Work, that would be the kind of science that would be wealth in this kind of future world. Books upon Black Holes or Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time, you’d probably pass that up.

So, I think that their sense of history would be one that was keenly felt because so much of it was missing. I think that the desire to fill in those blanks would probably be one of our key driving forces. That we would probably have accepted that no, we are never going to be back to levels that we were, and maybe that’s a good thing because probably that wasn’t sustainable. There are even somewhat mystical schools of thought in this future world that the Crossed were Mother Nature’s way of saving humanity from itself, which is a pretty stupid idea, but you can see how it is a supportable one. From the point of view of 2108, if we hadn’t done this, then most of the world would be a desert by now.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Crossed +100 : Who's reading it?

Picked it up today. Just finished reading it and I'm really impressed. Has anyone else read it? I love the devolution of language, it's fun figuring out how old words have new meanings and general sentence structure has altered. The actual story looks like it's gonna be a great one. Thankfully the violence has been less intense than the original Crossed comics so far, which were a bit too strong for me at the time. This so so good that it makes me want to go back to Garth Ennis run and give it another try.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris T View Post
          Thanks for the heads up. I might even check out the original Ennis run of this series in a trade. I can't remember ever reading a truly bad Ennis comic...
          I read it in preparation and it's absolutely brilliant. You can get it in TPB as Crossed Volume 1

Comment

So, I've been getting Alan's Crossed+100 each month, flipping through them (so getting a vague understanding of the narrative) but still not convinced that Crossed is really my thing. The 'future-slang' was also rather off-putting as well. Anyway, last night I decided to sit down and plough through all six issues plus the 'Taste Test' preview...

Comment

Churchface means Crossed, David, (church cross and face) took me three or four issues to pick up on that. I really like the series too. Not sure if I will continue with issue 7 because 1-6 felt like a nice contained arc to me. I didn't get many I Am Legend vibes from it but now that you say it there is a similarity in how they seem to be able to reason.

In regards to the language, I feel a breakdown like that is feasible given the extreme circumstances of the last century, it's not just a slowing down of civilization, due the the havoc wreaked by the Crossed I imagine people had to separate into small groups and isolate themselves, spending most of the time fleeing,hiding and looking for resources. Also the complete lack of any kind of education or infrastructure would be a factor. Future Taylor is in a small minority when it comes to reading wishful fiction.

I am not sure if you've read Crossed Volume 1 but I would highly recommend it, no hesitation in saying it's better than +100, more humanistic but just as violent if not more so.

Comment

I bought issue 7 after all and it's pretty good. David there is a direct reference to I Am Legend in it too. New artist is competent but his style is more cartoony and less detailed. Writing isn't on par either but it's still good and doesn't feel too jarring considering how it could have gone with transitioning to a new team. Thankfully Spurrier is being a little more reserved than he was in some of his issues of Badlands, I think he is a good writer but some of his previous Crossed stuff bordered on comical at times, and in a more ridiculous way than some of Crossed's other dark humor is handled.

Comment

Issue 10 came out yesterday. What can I say, Spurrier is doing a great job, lots of interesting revelations. The slow unraveling of the bigger picture has been really well paced. The more I learn about the world and the intentions of the Crossed, the more intriguing it gets. There was an intense action scene in issue 10 that was really well handled.

Comment

Working...
                  X