Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Your favourite ABC character?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favourite ABC character?

Most of the books and characters in ABC are amazing. My favourite would probably be Steve Moore's Jonni Future. Drawn by Art Adams.

Tom Strong for me.

Comment

After reading volumes 1 and 2 "Tom Strong" Deluxe editions, I really have to say liked it a lot. Moore says that was something he did not put a lot of effort on it, but I have to disagree of that. Superb artwork, incredible characters. Intended as a homage to the pulps, and old comics, it is a quite amazing comic book to read. In fact, I cannot remember enjoying this type of comics in a while. Nobody beats Moore on dialog construction and characters. Quite imaginative, fun, provocative sometimes, naive, full of action, crazy situations and worlds. Incredible.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Promethea was the standout title/character in the ABC line for me (enough to buy the Absolute editions at any rate) but the entire line was excellent on the whole (it was mostly the 'comedy' strips - Splash Brannigan & First American - that I found the weakest tbh). Steve Moore & Art Adams's Jonni Future, Peter Hogan & Yannick Paquette's Terra Obscura and Rick Veitch's Greyshirt: Indigo Sunset all proved it wasn't just Alan Moore who was capabable of producing decent 'superhero' comics.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

David, thanks for the tips mate. In fact, I would have bought the Promothea absolute editions if it was not for the the price, but the Tom Strongs ( I have to admit that I would not buy anything else instead of the Tom Strongs... I wanted to buy them so much that it was not a matter of choice :-) ) had promotional prices. It was for the good, Tom Strong is something that lifts my spirit.

I still have to buy From Hell though...
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Definately Tom Strong though I want to give some time and effort to reading Promethea.

Comment

Proud owner of the Promethea Absolute Editions here, although they're back in Dublin so I have my TPB reading copies here in Canada.

Speaking of ABC I'm currently re-reading LOEG. I started with the Omnibus which collects 1 and 2 and then I'll move onto the hardcover anthology of Volume 3 century, My black Dosier is back in Ireland.

Comment

Deathlok? Joe Pineapples? I've got this wrong, haven't I?

Comment

Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                  Proud owner of the Promethea Absolute Editions here, although they're back in Dublin so I have my TPB reading copies here in Canada.

Speaking of ABC I'm currently re-reading LOEG. I started with the Omnibus which collects 1 and 2 and then I'll move onto the hardcover anthology of Volume 3 century, My black Dosier is back in Ireland.
                  I think the TPBs of Promethea are already good enough!
                  I actually got lots of TPB mostly because they are cheaper but I do have some hardcovers like Tom Strong absolute editions.

Comment

Sometimes the TPB's can be too small to do the artwork justice but for the most part they're good quality. DC used the same shitty quality paper for both hardcover and TPB versions of Alan Moore Swamp Thing volumes, also, the regular hardcover version of Black Dossier comes with far better paper stock as well as other goodies than the overpriced Absolute Edition so it really varies from book to book. The Lone Wolf and Cub series come in small format books and it suits the black and white art style perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                      Deathlok? Joe Pineapples? I've got this wrong, haven't I?
                      Me too. Has to be Mek Quake... BIG JOBS!!!!

Comment

Hi

http://www.universohq.com/noticias/p...nos-da-panini/

This basically says that Panini Brazil plans to issue Promethea in Brazil!

Comment

Hi

I've got this

http://www.amazon.com/Top-10-Alan-Mo...+10+alan+moore

It seems to gather issues 1-12. It is not as expensive as the Absolute Edition but has less pages than this. It was a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                            Hi

I've got this

http://www.amazon.com/Top-10-Alan-Mo...+10+alan+moore

It seems to gather issues 1-12. It is not as expensive as the Absolute Edition but has less pages than this. It was a good deal.
                            cool, now you need to get The 49ers which is the prequel, it's even better than the main series IMO but a lot shorter. Then there's Smax, the fantasy-spoofing spinoff which is also a lot of fun.

Comment

Top 10 has arrived!

Comment

Working...
                              X