Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favorite Comics of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doc
    Originally posted by L'Etranger
    Of course there's always "Snoopy vs the Red Baron"
    I can't help but wonder how those comics look from a German vantage point...
    Oh my! Perhaps you should take a look at the new sandpit stories of today (psssst).

Actually, my maternal grandfather was shot down twice by, who knows, ... Snoopy? (He survived)
    Google ergo sum

Comment

I still have a stack of Creepy and Eerie comics. They are occasionally available and will always be my favorite.

http://www.gdarkness.com/monstermags...n_history.html

Comment

Originally posted by DyvimTvarsBodyguard
        Savage Sword of Conan
        OMG! One of my favourite quotes from Conan: "You've lied enough Ormon, and by Crom you've lived enough!!"
        Yes Conan is among my favourites. But my favourite one, a comic I had access to before knowing how to read and was the reason I learned to read very soon was Asterix! The best caustic humour in comics I have ever seen!!

Comment

The Creepy issues #'s 3,4,5,7,11,15,27,32 and the Eerie issues #'s 2,3,5,8,41 all have cover illustrations by Frank Frazetta. A lot of the stories also had artwork done by FF. If you look at the cover of Creepy # 14 you will see a dragon mounted, black helmed warrior brandishing a black sword engaged in combat with a blonde haired, silver helmed, horse mounted warrior with another black sword. Coincedental....

After you click on the link you will see the titles Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella at top dead center . Clicking on these gives the specs for past issues.
          Any title that you click on in the column on the left hand side of the page will bring up tiles of the cover art from all of the issues published under that name.
          Clicking on a tile blows it up to page size, and then allows it to be blown up one size larger again.
          I love the cover art of these magazines.( Great Screensavers )

http://www.gdarkness.com/monstermags...n_history.html

Comment

The Darkness

The Darkness is my new favorite comic series.

Recently there was a game released for it by the same title. Check it out, it is very good. I finished it for the first time the other night and will probably play it again.

Interesting note: Mike Patton (discussed in the experimental music thread) is the voice of The Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage View Post
              The Darkness is my new favorite comic series.

Recently there was a game released for it by the same title. Check it out, it is very good. I finished it for the first time the other night and will probably play it again.

Interesting note: Mike Patton (discussed in the experimental music thread) is the voice of The Darkness.
              And I could have sworn it was Justin Hawkins

Comment

I don't know if I have just one favorite. I've been an X-fan for ages, and I liked the whole Dave Cockrum "Dark Phoenix" era. Lots of new villains and hot babes (Madelyn Pryor-yum!). I've also always liked "Doctor Strange" because of the mystic elements and the fact that he's the only Marvel hero with a mustache. Also some great writing. I'm a big fan of Vampirella, and I wish Harris would kill the mag. and give her a book of her own back. I liked the early, Steven Hughes (R.I.P.) "Lady Death" comics too, but I'm not thrilled with the whole "Medieval Lady Death" spin off. Anything that's well written and has great artwork.
                Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

I used to collect a bunch of comics years ago when I worked at a comic book store. (yeah, I know) but the only character I've collected in the past 8 years or so are the first series Daredevil. #56 And Death's Head Came Riding! is the best that I have read so far (in my opinion of course), it had me looking for #57 for months. I do get a new one occasionally with the second series, but my heart belongs to old school.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWolf359 View Post
                    ...the only Marvel hero with a mustache.
                    Well, there's Tony Stark / Iron Man too.
                    And She-Hulk (if you look closely...)

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                      Well, there's Tony Stark / Iron Man too.
                      And She-Hulk (if you look closely...)
                      Yeah, but Tony only wears his 'stache when he's in his eccentric billionaire bachelor mode. Doc wears his all the time, and he has a little goatee like mine, too! Besides, I really dug Clea. She was the coolest side-kick/partner ever. And she became ruler of the Dark Dimension. Local girl makes good!
                      Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

Wow! Nicely resurrected ThanosShadowsage.

Many of you already know I'm a 2000AD fan, so I have to say that Slaine gets my vote as fave character (and Ukko as 'hero's companion'). Check out the new three volume graphic novel; 'Slaine: The Book of Invasions', by Pat Mills and Clint Langley. The artwork is stunning, to say the least. Langley's work is ultra modern and uses a lot of cg. Some of his characters could almost be photographs. Coupled with Mills' visceral storytelling, the whole makes for a comic experience not to be missed.

Langley is currently illustrating the latest ABC Warriors tale in 2000AD. It can be dark and sometimes indistinct work, but it's jaw droppingly good as well.

The V.C's was another favourite story, as was Halo Jones. I'd put Halo Jones in joint second place alongside DR and Quinch. Both memorable strips, even if they are completely dissimilar. Meltdown Man is another early 2000AD story that stuck in my mind over the years. Belardinelli's artwork is another one that is unmistakeable.

Non-2000AD strips would have to be Preacher, Savage Sword of Conan and The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (inc. Fat Freddy's Cat).

My comic reading started in (I think) 1963 with 'Lion' weekly. I was also lucky enough to have a neighbor who gave me four or five 'Eagle' annuals (the ones with the yellow/black eagle on a solid red background. I picked up a few american comics around then as well; Hawkman and Green Lantern spring to memory. Ah, nostalgia!
                        He's well smoked

Comment

I first fond a fist full of moonknight comics in the 5 for a 1$ box when I has 7 or 8 ( a very twisted read for a child that age ) his been a hands down fav ever since.

Comment

It seems to be the trend now to bring out omnibus editions. I am merrily buying Creepie, eerie, Judge Dredd and SSOConan till my pants drop.

Comment

I love Corto Maltese , Peanuts, Dick Tracy (LAW) and Tim Fish' Cavalcade of Boys. I'm also fond of Jeff Smit's Bone, Tank Girl (CHAOS), Jeff Hawke's sci-fi comics, Howard Chaykin's Twilight, and Fafhrd and Grey Mouser, and Elric-making of a Sorcerer. I also like Crumb's Fritz The Cat, Doonesbury and Monsieur Jean of Dupuy-Berberian.
                              In short: I LOVE COMICS AND GRAPHICS NOVELS OF ALL KIND!
                              Don't believe everything you hear, but not disbelieve anything, either
                              Calanthe Har Aralis har Varr har Uigenna

This is not the Tanelorn I was searching for
                              Dorian Hawkmoon

Comment

2000AD still. Besides the constant Dredd strip the zine has matured with its readership. A great stable for writersc and artists.
                                One where characters change and die ( rather than being arrested so they can escape every few months to threaten the world until incarcarated by another spandexed hero .)
                                Great respect for Savage Sword of Conan and the Conan the Barbarian comics. Also heavy Metal, especially the Brunner Elric piece.
                                Preacher rocks.
                                The short lived Warrior was a fantastic collection of 2000Ad writers and artists flexing their muscle during a time when the weekly comic format was a bit restaining.
                                XMen was my pet 'Superhero' comic, oddly enough when Magneto was running the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X