Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favorite Comics of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a lot into Spiderman (especially for the soap opera aspects, I later realized), which died for me around the time Gwen Stacy died. Other American comics I liked were Dr. Strange, Tomb of Dracula (and Gene Colan's short-lived The Night Force at DC), and... I guess this is rather esoteric... The Phantom Stranger when Aparo did the art.

Belgian and French comics did seem to provide the best comics for me, though... especially Franquin (Spirou & Fantasio which just got better and better until Franquin left it) and Gaston LaGaffe for the pure laughs. Phred's "Philemon" wasn't half bad, either.

And... what may be my favourite comic of all time... Dany and Greg's "Olivier Rameau"... Oh, the sweetness, magic and plain fun of that!
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

I have this abiding weakness for all things 2000 AD, so my darlings are Judge Dredd, Zenith, Nemesis the Warlock, Slaأ­ne, Durham Red, oh and I really liked (fairly) recent ones Lobster Random, Necronauts... I could go on. But it is of course not as good as it once was, mainly because the top creative droids have been lured across the Atlantic with promises of frequent oil changes. Send Mek-quake after them!

Oops... going needlessly fanboy there. Anyways, my favourite comic would be anything by Grant Morrison or anything by Alan Moore, depending on my mood that particular day. Not very original, I know, but they are the best, what are you gonna do?

Specific titles: V for vendetta, Swamp Thing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (oh and did anyone actually read the calendar at the back of vol. 2? It mentions a French museum where they have relics from the Bright Empire!), Watchmen, Zenith, Doom Patrol, New X-Men and of course The Invisibles, bit annoying at times but fucking brilliant mostly.

The "Gideon Stargrave" episodes in The Invisibles are particular favourites, but mainly because I love Jerry Cornelius, whom Gideon is a complete rip-off, um, off.

Oh and I nearly forgot The Filth, Morrison's finest work to date! "The Paperverse", Dmitri the cosmonaut chimp turned assassin, oh my,oh my...

Look at me rambling! Over and out!

Comment

I am yet to grow up

Well for me it is Captain Britain (Moore/Davis), V for Vendetta, Kilraven, Shogun Warriors, Guardians of the Galaxy (old version), Rom, Micronauts, Alpha Flight (Byrne - can NO ONE draw Sasquatch anymore?), Strontium Dog, The V.C.'s, ABC Warriors, Marshall Law, Slaine, Ace Trucking Co., 1970's Avengers when they had the most iconic team, The Defenders, Rogue Trooper, Byrne X-Men, Warrior magazine.
        "What do you think you're doing? This is a closed set!"

Comment

I have to say Deadpool, Rising Stars (If it ever gets Finished), Sandman, Uncanny X-Men (Especially the Claremont stuff) and currently Astonishing X-men. Thats just a handful cuz theres so many comics i like.

Comment

I forgot

I forgot The Freak Brothers - especially the one about the tour bus they think is done up all nice.

HA HA HA
            "What do you think you're doing? This is a closed set!"

Comment

i've been googling for translations of my favourites to english....found naught. pity. I wonder how there can be so few interest for french comics in the US and UK....

well, then, my US favorite is geoff darrow. any news from hard boiled - the movie, btw?

Comment

Lee/Kirby FF

Byrne's FF/Alpha Flight/Superman

Walt Simonson's Thor

Lee/Ditko Doctor Strange

Stern's Doctor Strange (plus Triumph and Torment)

Gaiman's Sandman (though I really need to get the last three trades)

Starlin's Warlock/Silver Surfer/Thanos Quest/Infinity Gauntlet (not the sequels)

Comment

"The Bogie Man" by John Wagner and Alan Grant. Also, I think this is Scotland's only comic, ever (?).

Comment

Where does one start?

Grimjack by John Ostrander and Timothy Truman
                    Starlin's Adam Warlock and Captain Marvel
                    The Defenders, up until the name changed to New Defenders
                    Tomb of Dracula
                    Deathlok (Astonishing Tales) by Buckler
                    Brat Pack by Veitch
                    Just about any and all Bronze Age marvel
                    Kilraven (soon available from marvel via Marvel Essentials, like the Tomb of Dracula series, now complete)

Shang Chi, Master of KungFu!
                    Moon Knight by moench and seinkievich
                    Most bronze age, pre-Crisis DC
                    Alan Moore's ABC line
                    Elfquest
                    Starman
                    The Golden Age by Robinson and Smith
                    Byrne's FF and Alpha Flight
                    Simonson's Thor
                    Simonson and Goodwin's Manhunter series
                    Jonah Hex by Landsdale and Truman
                    Captain America by Englehart, later by Stern/Byrne, and early Gruenwald
                    Conan by Roy thomas, et al
                    Night Force (DC)
                    Marvel's old (Bronze age) Horror titles and old B&W magazines

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

So many favorites... but except for very few, most of them are older books, bronze age and early modern age. The books today don't capture capture my imagination like the books of yore. One of the main reasons is the newer "wide screen" approach, where comics are basically storyboards without captions or word balloons. Today's comics have lost their uniqueness, that which differentiated them between both movies and novels.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by McTalbayne
                      I have to say Deadpool, Rising Stars (If it ever gets Finished), Sandman, Uncanny X-Men (Especially the Claremont stuff) and currently Astonishing X-men. Thats just a handful cuz theres so many comics i like.
                      Rising Stars just finished, or is finally being finished. The contract dispute between JMS and Top Cow finally got hammered out, and the last few books have begun to come out.

I liked Rising Stars, but JMS' Supreme Power is actually better than Rising Stars, IMHO. And it comes out almost on time! I only pick it up in the trades, though. It's quite gripping.

Jeff

Comment

Yep, just about anything Alan Moore is fantastic.

His Supreme was funny as hell and intelligent -- the proper way to do homage. His 1602 books were good, they just didn't read as well as his Supreme work, which was basically a fanboy love letter to all things Superman and comics in general. Whereas 1602 was more of a straight riff on Marvel's early days.

DR and Quinch was funny in a naughty schoolboy way 8O

his Captain Britain was mind-blowing excitement, while Marvelman/Miracleman was brilliant. I still have the Eclipse trade vol 1 and always re-read it once a year.

Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow... makes me weep everytime. Poor Krypto!

Oh, Alan Grant's run on Detective and The Demon were fantastic in the day, too.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Doom
                          Originally posted by McTalbayne
                          Rising Stars just finished, or is finally being finished. The contract dispute between JMS and Top Cow finally got hammered out, and the last few books have begun to come out.

I liked Rising Stars, but JMS' Supreme Power is actually better than Rising Stars, IMHO. And it comes out almost on time! I only pick it up in the trades, though. It's quite gripping.

Jeff
                          Yeah, It ended amazingly well. I wasnt expecting it at all.

Comment

Favourite comics? Ooh, let me see now...

2000AD/Judge Dredd/Starlord (too many to mention :))
                            American Flagg! 1-27 (Howard Chaykin)
                            Animal Man 1-26 (Grant Morrison/Chas Truog)
                            Camelot 3000 (Mike W Barr/Brian Bolland)
                            Daredevil 168-191 (Frank Miller)
                            Doom Patrol 19-63 (Grant Morrison/Richard Case)
                            Elektra: Assassin (Frank Miller/Bill Sienkiewicz)
                            Excalibur (Chris Claremont/Alan Davis)
                            From Hell (Alan Moore/Eddie Campbell)
                            Green Lantern/Green Arrow (Denny O'Neill/Neal Adams)
                            Hellblazer 1-83 (Jamie Delano/Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon et al)
                            Hellboy (Mike Mignola)
                            Hulk Comic (UK Weekly-Dez Skinn ed.)
                            The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Alan Moore/Kevin O'Neill)
                            The Light and Darkness War (Tom Veitch/Cam Kennedy)
                            Marshall Law (Pat Mills/Kevin O'Neill)
                            The Micronauts 1-12 (Michael Golden)
                            The New Teen Titans 1-50 (Marv Wolfman/George Perez)
                            The One (Rick Veitch)
                            Preacher (Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon)
                            Plastic Forks (Ted McKeever)
                            The Question (Dennis O'Neill/Denys Cowan)
                            The Sandman (Neil Gaiman & others)
                            Shade the Changing Man 1-50 (Pete Milligan/Chris Bachalo)
                            Sin City (Frank Miller)
                            Skreemer (Pete Milligan/Brett Ewins)
                            Stray Toaster (Bill Sienkiewicz)
                            Swamp Thing (Alan Moore/Steve Bissette/John Totleban/Rick Veitch)
                            V For Vendetta (Alan Moore/Dave Lloyd))
                            Violent Cases (Neil Gaiman/Dave McKean)
                            Warlock (Jim Starlin)
                            Warrior (Dez Skinn ed.)
                            Watchmen (Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons)
                            and last (but not least bearing in mind my avatar) The Adventures of Luther Arkwright (Bryan Talbot)

Phew! (And that's probably just the tip of the iceberg.)
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Transmetropolitan

Sandman

Planetary

Stormwatch (Ennis years).

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged
                                I was a lot into Spiderman (especially for the soap opera aspects, I later realized), which died for me around the time Gwen Stacy died. Other American comics I liked were Dr. Strange, Tomb of Dracula (and Gene Colan's short-lived The Night Force at DC), and... I guess this is rather esoteric... The Phantom Stranger when Aparo did the art.
                                I know how you feel. Gwen was THE girl for Peter. *sigh*

I just bought of the the newly released Essential Tomb of Dracula from marvel, all in glorious black and white. Gene Colan is one of the most under-rated artists of all time. Sure, his super-hero work looks odd at times, but on a book like Tomb of Dracula or Night Force or Nathaniel Dusk, my god, it's beautiful. And has such power and movement!

Too bad Night Force didn't find an audience. Don't forget about Aparo's Spectre work as well (soon available again in trade paperback format).

Those were the days...

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X