Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Comic book recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zlogdan
    replied
    Hellboy is pretty awesome, I completely forgot about it.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I can definitely recommend, Mike Mignola's Hellboy books. I've got a couple in Dutch & one in English. Mignola's artwork is some of the best, the most striking, that I've ever seen. The stories are strange & uncanny, but the no-nonsense character of Hellboy, grounds the trade paperback comic-books, from covers to contents. Miignola also did amazing artwork for The Chronicles of Corum, back in the day. That's a book on my wishlist.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Peacefulpie View Post

That was ages ago when I was 13. I'm 17 now and they are more relaxed about what I read.
    Ok. I recommend you to look after comics on used book online stores like Abebooks. They have great prices and great shipping costs for US citizens. Sadly not my case :-)

Leave a comment:

• Peacefulpie
    replied
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

In this case I really recommend you to ask your parents before reading any comics recommended here.
    That was ages ago when I was 13. I'm 17 now and they are more relaxed about what I read.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied

HA watchmen is a really famous one isn't it? I really wanted to read it once but my Mum wouldn't let me cause she thought it was too violent. I tried watching the movie version at my Dad's but I wasn't allowed either :(
    In this case I really recommend you to ask your parents before reading any comics recommended here.

Leave a comment:

• Peacefulpie
    replied
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    I also would like to recommend a few more

Dreadstar by Jim Starlin
    Alan Moore's Watchmen
    Planetary by Warren Ellis
    The Shadow by Howard Chaykin
    Skreemer Peter Milling
    Animal Man Grant Morrisson
    HA watchmen is a really famous one isn't it? I really wanted to read it once but my Mum wouldn't let me cause she thought it was too violent. I tried watching the movie version at my Dad's but I wasn't allowed either :(

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I also would like to recommend a few more

Dreadstar by Jim Starlin
    Alan Moore's Watchmen
    Planetary by Warren Ellis
    The Shadow by Howard Chaykin
    Skreemer Peter Milling
    Animal Man Grant Morrisson

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I don't know much about comics..... what are the especially great ones? I’m not much a fan of superheros but I don’t mind them. I have read Tintin, maus and some stuff by Junji Ito before which I loved...
    Hi

No superheroes...
    Sandman by Neil Gaiman
    Saga Brian K Vaughan
    Will Eisner Life In The big city
    Moonshadow J. M De Matteis.
    Sweet Tooth Jeff Lemire
    DC The New Frontier Darwyn Cooke ( this is a superheroes story but I recommend it a lot )
    Concrete Paul Chadwick
    Lone Wolfe and cup Kazuo Koike
    Fables by Bill Willingham,
    Asterix
    Camelot 3000 M. Barr

Inside the superheroes niche, I would recommend Alan Moore's The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman albeit not too strictly a superheroes work, I tried to mention just one work of each one of the above.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    I'm not sure there'd be a lot of agreement they are especially great comics, but there are a lot of comic adaptations of MM's stories. I recently enjoyed reading The Swords of Heaven, The Flowers of Hell, a collaboration between Howard Chaykin and MM. The adaptations by P Craig Russel also stood out to me.

I haven't read Junji Ito, but have been meaning to for some while. Since you mention him and Maus, maybe consider Shigeru Miizuki's Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths. Again, though, I'm not sure that one's hailed as one of the especially great ones. However, Miizuki is a comics industry giant.

Alan Moore is another major voice. He's got a lot of titles, many of which are widely considered especially great, but my recommendations are his From Hell and V for Vendetta.
    Last edited by Heresiologist; 10-18-2020, 11:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Peacefulpie
    started a topic Comic book recommendations?

Comic book recommendations?

I don't know much about comics..... what are the especially great ones? I’m not much a fan of superheros but I don’t mind them. I have read Tintin, maus and some stuff by Junji Ito before which I loved...
Working...
X