Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zlogdan
    replied
    David, I was reviewing some Grant Morrison works I have never liked in the past, How to kill your boyfriend, arkan and decided to read Superman Absolute All-Star and this is what happened:

I admit that I have been bashing Morrison's work in the last 20 years - although I admit that I love his take on Animal Man, but once in a while I give a new chance to his work so I decided to buy and read this story to sacrament my distaste for his pretentious work.

When I was on page 100 and loving the whole thing my thoughts were "man I am going to demolish this on Goodreads tomorrow" and then I have come to myself and the story put these whole insane thoughts away. Because this is a really really good comic book.

Morrison here does not waste time to do whatever he was trying to do with "Sebastian E" or "How to kill your boyfriend" or "Arkham Asylum" so he just goes back to the Animal Man style and strikes a home run ( I don't know anything about baseball but definitely I would love to ).

His Superman saga is humorous, tragic, entertaining and thought demanding and I would say quite of a "meta-comics" thing that Warren Ellis did so well with Planetary.

And definitely, Morrison seems to be a good guy, exhorting family and friendship all the way and being incredibly inventive to explore the mythos of Superman.

Apologizes Mr. Morisson, you seem to be badass.
    I read all of his Animal Man and that was absolutely incredible too.

Wait, you are now seeing me just fanboying Grant Morrison? In truth, I think I was a big fan in the 80s and 90s of his works and perhaps after reading his Alan Moore bashing and after reading his horrendous "How to kill your boyfriend" and his latest speeches in regard to the evilness of the straight white man my brain had him switched to the "to thrash" pile. However, I have been recently thinking better about this and reading the things I used to enjoy from his work like Animal Man, and dude, I have finally recalled why I loved them: meta-comics at its best, super-heroes well written, crazy ideas and just a sense of a serious approach to the genre without trying to demolish as childish and violently stupid. God, it is even possible that I had enjoyed Sebastian O and Arkham Asylum and I cannot remember.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I am reading Jeff's Lemire Sweet Tooth omnibus vol2 . I will read the vol3 next followed by Hellboy omnibus vol.4
    Regularly buying I am just following anything from Lemire's Black Hammer universe, waiting for Brian K Vaughan's Saga part 2 and The printed Brazilian reissues of Sandman 30th Anniversary issues ( now on volume 4 ). I also buy anything I see by Chaykin.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    My current comics 'pull list' consists of:
    • 2000AD
    • Judge Dredd Megazine
    • Harley Quinn (mainly for the Frank Cho covers)
    • The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage
    • Isola
    • Monstress
    • The Old Guard
    • Conan the Barbarian
    • Guardians of the Galaxy
    • The Immortal Hulk
    • Valkyrie Jane Foster
    • [Cerebus in Hell? One-Shots]
    • From Hell Master Edition
    • Heartbeat
    • Ragnarok
    • Red Sonja: Age of Chaos
    • Tank Girl / Tank Girl Full Colour Classics
    • Vampirella
    • Vampirella Replica Edition magazines
    Series currently on hiatus but which I will add to my list when they recommence are:
    • Black Magick
    • Faithless
    • The Fix
    • Anything by Howard Chaykin

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post

Is that the same as the film starring David Bowie? I never knew there was a graphic novel.
    Looks like another "Oops! Wrong forum/thread" situation, Jack.

To put things back on the correct rails I'll mention that I just finished William Gibson's Alien 3 collection. It seems to be getting mostly poor reviews, but I liked it well enough. However, a big part of that is due to him telling me about working on the script for Alien 3 back when I met him while he was out promoting Mona Lisa Overdrive (he was 2nd or 3rd listed on a bill featuring MM-non-favourite DM Thomas and a husband and wife local history team). So I've long been curious about what he actually produced.

I remember him saying he wanted lots of space and spaceships and was surprised when the studio wanted a rewrite because they said it would be too expensive. He figured they could do spaceships the way Star Trek: Next Gen was doing them at the time. I'm also pretty sure he said he was working on the third rewrite.

Getting back to the story though, I thought it showed a number of John Carpenter's The Thing influences as well as some stuff that seems prototypical for the Alien 3 creature as well as Alien 4's "baby" creature.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by white wolf's son View Post
    I recently read The Man Who Fell To Earth...quite a sad story .
    Is that the same as the film starring David Bowie? I never knew there was a graphic novel.

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied
    I recently read The Man Who Fell To Earth...quite a sad story .

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    EDIT: Oops! Wrong forum/thread.

Here's the appropriate post: https://www.multiverse.org/forum/the...591#post427591
    Last edited by EverKing; 02-05-2020, 07:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied
    I`m waiting on the new Julien Blondel Elric graphic novel being published in english , the first three are amazing , I`m really looking forward to it , I have pre ordered it on the book depository .

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

https://assinepanini.com.br/conan/in...t=&Versao_txt=

Here is a pic of the whole thing, makes one wonder about the joys rich people have access hahaha :-)
    Yeah Wow, that IS impressive.
    I probably wouldn't throw that sort of money at something like that, but it DOES look very cool.
    I enjoy just picking up an old Conan comic every now and then and reading it for fun.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

I have seen a new collection of black and white hardcovers being published here every 15 days and I bought the first volume because the price was 2,5 Dollars but the other issues cost 3 times that so I can't afford them. I was never crazy about the books but I have always liked the comics a lot when I was in my teens. I had a friend that bought every single issue he saw

But the thing is awesome:

Here is a pic of the whole thing, makes one wonder about the joys rich people have access hahaha :-)
    WOW The collection looks amazing all displayed together like that!

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post

I managed to score a pile of old SS sword of Conan comics at a 2nd hand book store really cheap a couple months back.
    It's been fun reading these from time to time.
    I have seen a new collection of black and white hardcovers being published here every 15 days and I bought the first volume because the price was 2,5 Dollars but the other issues cost 3 times that so I can't afford them. I was never crazy about the books but I have always liked the comics a lot when I was in my teens. I had a friend that bought every single issue he saw

But the thing is awesome:

hero.png

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    Originally posted by Lankar Shrae View Post
    SS of Conan Omnibus
    I managed to score a pile of old SS sword of Conan comics at a 2nd hand book store really cheap a couple months back.
    It's been fun reading these from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by danskmacabre View Post
    I remember really enjoying watching the Akira cartoon many years ago and it blew me Away.
    30 years Later, I finally got the graphic novels.
    I love the art. Not super detailed, but really portrays the mood of the story well.
    So interesting to read the full backstory.
    That sounds really interesting. I really liked the movie and picked it up recently on DVD at a thrift store for a crazy .99 cents. I haven't got around to re-watching it yet, but will probably squeeze a screening in this week. The graphic novels sound cool that they go in to more depth than the film.

Leave a comment:

• danskmacabre
    replied
    I remember really enjoying watching the Akira cartoon many years ago and it blew me Away.
    30 years Later, I finally got the graphic novels.
    I love the art. Not super detailed, but really portrays the mood of the story well.
    So interesting to read the full backstory.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by fammann View Post
    I love Akira. I'm contemplating buying the Saga Omnibus. Everyone is raving about it, but I never actualy read Saga.
    Some time ago I bought the first two collected issues on Comixology Then a few months later I decided to read it. Well, this has got me really broke because after finishing volume2 I just had to buy everything else. I think I read the whole thing in two or three days.

This was my last Christmas present:
    fetch?photoid=427069.jpg

This is what I wrote on Goodreads after finishing it:

If you don't want to spend a weekend reading 9 collected issues and nearly become broke in the process ( thank you Comixology) don't start reading volume 1 out of curiosity. Jokes apart and good humor left behind, I can't say I did not love this amazing mashup of Parenthood 101, Moonshadow, Farscape, Star Wars well-titled Saga, it is empirically proved that I thought this awesome. More to come in later reviews.
    By the way, Y: The Last Man, by the same author Brian K Vaughan, suffers from the same "problem". Don't start reading unless you want to do anything else at the weekend. ;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X