Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I've been following, Jos van Waterschoot & Eric Heuvel's version of the Netherland's classic, Max Havelaar, in the EPPO. I've missed an issue, luckily I can order it on line. It's probably the only way I'll read this 19th century masterpiece.

I've also been following, the TPB reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, from BOOM! Studios. Interesting new take on the original series.

Leave a comment:

• Navigator
    replied
    I just recently acquired a copy of Secret Wars #8. This completes my original Secret Wars collection. The funny thing is I bought all of them in 1984 except #8. I was so upset that they were changing Spidey’s costume that I refused to buy it. So 36 years later I broke down and finally purchased it. Sadly enough, it cost me $70 instead of the .60 I would have paid back then.

I am also very close to finishing my Dr Strange vol. 2 collection. Just five or so issues left to purchase. I stopped collecting the newer stuff when Strange resurrected the entire city of Las Vegas after the Secret Empire stuff. I still enjoy the artwork but I think the writing was so much better back in the 70’s and early 80’s.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I am reading Jonh Byrne's Fantastic Four volume 1 and I am preparing my self to go through Paul's Chadwick Concrete volume 2.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    In light of the recent Age of XMan, I’m reading/rereading the original XMan series. I had made it part way thru the series, and then although I had every issue I hadn’t finished reading it. So I’m picking away at the mid 90s XMan series.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
    Immediately thought of Lancaster's turn in, 'The Crimson Pirate. ' That's a great movie. Lancaster's at the peak of his physical prowess & he's ably aided & abetted by his old acrobat partner, Nick Cravat! Lancaster started out as an acrobat & circus performer with Cravat.
    Ah! Thanks for that. Looks swashbuckling. I'll ask if they have it at the local vid store.

In a strange turn of synchronicity I've been looking around a bit for another Lancaster vehicle because I was hoping to rewatch the 1977 Island of Doctor Moreau. So far, I've only managed to see Island of Lost Souls and wonder if I need to rewatch the Kilmer/Brando Moreau.

More on topic, I'm currently reading Joe Sacco's Paying the Land. It's rather amazing, like a long, unflinching documentary in comic form.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post

Recently read and rather liked Chaykin's work for The Swords of Heaven, The Flowers of Hell. The only thing that sort of rankled was Chaykin's depiction of Erekose, which vaguely bothered me as oddly familiar and somehow Hollywood or Prince Valiant or something of the sort. It all came together when I read the afterward and learned he was modeled on Burt Lancaster.
    Immediately thought of Lancaster's turn in, 'The Crimson Pirate. ' That's a great movie. Lancaster's at the peak of his physical prowess & he's ably aided & abetted by his old acrobat partner, Nick Cravat! Lancaster started out as an acrobat & circus performer with Cravat.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I am reading Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, which is fantastic. I am not sure what to read next, but perhaps it will be Concrete vol. 2, which is low paced and requires relaxation and I am not in the mood but I love the art and text by Paul Chadwick. I also got two Creepy omnibuses with the works of two deceased genius Bernie Wrightson and Alex Toth and The Adventures of Luther Arkwright and its sequel Heart of Empire.
    All digital comics

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    My current comics 'pull list' consists of:
    • Anything by Howard Chaykin
    Recently read and rather liked Chaykin's work for The Swords of Heaven, The Flowers of Hell. The only thing that sort of rankled was Chaykin's depiction of Erekose, which vaguely bothered me as oddly familiar and somehow Hollywood or Prince Valiant or something of the sort. It all came together when I read the afterward and learned he was modeled on Burt Lancaster.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    The Digital copy of Green Arrow Green Lantern's 70s classic stories by Denny O´Neil and Neal Adams are being sold by Amazon/Comixology for 5.99 US dollars.

https://www.comixology.com/Green-Lan...N1bHRzU2xpZGVy

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Finished the second volume of Titan Comics' reprints of the The Chronicles of Hawkmoon. Good stuff, great art.

The only drawback is that Cawthorn's amazing work leaves me thinking the proposed BBC adaptation will fall far short of the mark.

Also read William Gibson's Archangel, which was pretty good but rather overshadowed by Hawkmoon.

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied
    Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    The Garden, by an old friend who used to live directly across the road from us when we were kids. Best pals with my next eldest brother. Nicely done book on mindfulness, though a little heavy handed at the start. There's an honesty in it that didn't meet my expectations of the form. Sure the lead character blah blah blah, but a lot of the other folks in the story are as dismissive as I might be, without being judged for that. Quite real in a sense of it doesn't 'demand' I do blah X hours a day or the like and suddenly everything will be rosy. Just do a bit of whatever and be a tad more aware is about as preachy as it gets. Things might look up a bit. Which is my level of preachy.
    Rothgo , I had a look at this , really interesting , apart from the writing , the use of the art alone to convey the message without word balloons or text in parts of the book is a favourite of mine , the expression of the girl looking up at the falling leaves , with that serene look on her face , says it all . Roger Delgado , of Age of Reptiles , is a master of this as well .

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    The Garden, by an old friend who used to live directly across the road from us when we were kids. Best pals with my next eldest brother. Nicely done book on mindfulness, though a little heavy handed at the start. There's an honesty in it that didn't meet my expectations of the form. Sure the lead character blah blah blah, but a lot of the other folks in the story are as dismissive as I might be, without being judged for that. Quite real in a sense of it doesn't 'demand' I do blah X hours a day or the like and suddenly everything will be rosy. Just do a bit of whatever and be a tad more aware is about as preachy as it gets. Things might look up a bit. Which is my level of preachy.

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied
    Pietro , I hope this doesn't result in a return to the 1960'/70s , when certain comics were not distributed beyond the US . I can remember a friend calling me in the late 1970's in near apopexly to tell me the comic store we normally visited had all the latest titles in , all the non distributed ones , I didn't drive at the time but jumped on the bus straight there and spent a load of my ( first ) wages buying everything I could . I don't like digital comics or books , I may be a bit old fashioned but I prefer having the paper and ink comic or novel in my hands . I do hope DC are not making a mistake.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I've started reading the Netherlands' fortnightly comic magazine, Eppo, again. They're doing a strip adaptation of the Dutch literary classic, Max Havelaar. A timely historical reminder of the Dutch colonial legacy. Illustrated by, Eric Heuvel, who also draws, January Jones. a sparky, Tintin-esque, female pilot & adventuress. One of my all time favourite strips.

JanJones_00.jpg

... ... ... ... ...

Plus, news over on the Raw Story site that DC are planning to break the comic distribution monopoly in the US, with potentially disastrous results.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/ins...ibution-world/

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied
    I am back reading The Amazing Spiderman again , nice artwork and story . I liked the DC Comics DCeased series too .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X