Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc View Post
    So I just re-read Whedon’s run on Astonishing X-Men. I was so conflicted because of the recent revelations of his toxicity. But the stories were fantastic. I know a person can be both an asshole and talented, but it shapes my reading nevertheless.
    You mean the most recent revelations about his behaviour? There's been a steady drip since Angel at least and quite a dunking in the aftermath of his split from his ex-wife. Seems the levee finally broke.

To quote Harlan Ellison quoting Toulouse-Lautrec: "One should never meet a man whose work one admires. The man is always so much less than the work." Nowadays, social media pretty much ensures you get to meet the man.

Leave a comment:

• PawnOfChaos
    replied
    I've been catching up on stuff sitting on my bookshelf that I've ignored for far too long. I just finished The Catcher in the Rye and am currently reading The Picture of Dorian Gray. Or as I would write it having grown up in America reading a lot of great science fiction and fantasy from overseas, Dorian Grey. 🙂

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc View Post
    So I just re-read Whedon’s run on Astonishing X-Men. I was so conflicted because of the recent revelations of his toxicity. But the stories were fantastic. I know a person can be both an asshole and talented, but it shapes my reading nevertheless.
    As we say here, the fish dies by its mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Image has some discounts over their digital versions so I acquired Jeff Lemire's Descender and Ascension. The good thing with Image is that they allow you to grab their cbz or pdf format version without DRMs. I read Descender omnibus (1-16) and loved it all. Serious kicking ass space opera.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Black hammer, Jeff Lemire, box set.
    ( I had read it before and loved it, Amazon was selling it by half its regular price so .... )

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Apparently, Amazon decided to maintain the Dreadstar boxset price still in 200 reais so I would recommend those that want to enjoy the opportunity to try it. The reasons are many.
    It is the best space opera ever created for the comics medium. Colors have been completely reviewed and restored by Starlin himself. Three new covers.
    It includes everything related to Dreadstar that Starlin worked with. It comes in a very cool package.

I have the impression that the translation made before to Portuguese was not quite good now finally reading the English versions.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    While looking for Christmas presents for my parents I made a small search for an author I cannot remember but Amazon Brazil has shown me this:

( eg A super omnibus box set of 3 hardcovers and 1500 pages with 40 issues of Jim Starlin's Dreadstar )

d1.png

Or 224 reais.

Look how much it costs at Amazon US charges for it

d2.png

205 dollars.

Or 1000 reais. Wait? Wait? 200 reais against 1000 reais ?

It is a great deal.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I've been following, Jos van Waterschoot & Eric Heuvel's version of the Netherland's classic, Max Havelaar, in the EPPO. I've missed an issue, luckily I can order it on line. It's probably the only way I'll read this 19th century masterpiece.

I've also been following, the TPB reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, from BOOM! Studios. Interesting new take on the original series.

Leave a comment:

• Navigator
    replied
    I just recently acquired a copy of Secret Wars #8. This completes my original Secret Wars collection. The funny thing is I bought all of them in 1984 except #8. I was so upset that they were changing Spidey’s costume that I refused to buy it. So 36 years later I broke down and finally purchased it. Sadly enough, it cost me $70 instead of the .60 I would have paid back then.

I am also very close to finishing my Dr Strange vol. 2 collection. Just five or so issues left to purchase. I stopped collecting the newer stuff when Strange resurrected the entire city of Las Vegas after the Secret Empire stuff. I still enjoy the artwork but I think the writing was so much better back in the 70’s and early 80’s.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I am reading Jonh Byrne's Fantastic Four volume 1 and I am preparing my self to go through Paul's Chadwick Concrete volume 2.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    In light of the recent Age of XMan, I’m reading/rereading the original XMan series. I had made it part way thru the series, and then although I had every issue I hadn’t finished reading it. So I’m picking away at the mid 90s XMan series.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
    Immediately thought of Lancaster's turn in, 'The Crimson Pirate. ' That's a great movie. Lancaster's at the peak of his physical prowess & he's ably aided & abetted by his old acrobat partner, Nick Cravat! Lancaster started out as an acrobat & circus performer with Cravat.
    Ah! Thanks for that. Looks swashbuckling. I'll ask if they have it at the local vid store.

In a strange turn of synchronicity I've been looking around a bit for another Lancaster vehicle because I was hoping to rewatch the 1977 Island of Doctor Moreau. So far, I've only managed to see Island of Lost Souls and wonder if I need to rewatch the Kilmer/Brando Moreau.

More on topic, I'm currently reading Joe Sacco's Paying the Land. It's rather amazing, like a long, unflinching documentary in comic form.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post

Recently read and rather liked Chaykin's work for The Swords of Heaven, The Flowers of Hell. The only thing that sort of rankled was Chaykin's depiction of Erekose, which vaguely bothered me as oddly familiar and somehow Hollywood or Prince Valiant or something of the sort. It all came together when I read the afterward and learned he was modeled on Burt Lancaster.
    Immediately thought of Lancaster's turn in, 'The Crimson Pirate. ' That's a great movie. Lancaster's at the peak of his physical prowess & he's ably aided & abetted by his old acrobat partner, Nick Cravat! Lancaster started out as an acrobat & circus performer with Cravat.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I am reading Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, which is fantastic. I am not sure what to read next, but perhaps it will be Concrete vol. 2, which is low paced and requires relaxation and I am not in the mood but I love the art and text by Paul Chadwick. I also got two Creepy omnibuses with the works of two deceased genius Bernie Wrightson and Alex Toth and The Adventures of Luther Arkwright and its sequel Heart of Empire.
    All digital comics

Leave a comment:

Working...
X