Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up at Dave's comics at Brighton.

Widowmaker 1
    Madame Xanadu final issue
    Lady Mechinak 1
    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Just dug up a comic whose hero is a 1930's pilot called January Jones (!), a great looking blonde who gets into all sorts of trouble. And of course she's giving the Nazis a hard time ...
      By Eric Heuvel and Martin Lodewijk (Texts) from the Netherlands.
      No idea if it ever managed to get translated into English...

Might add the book was published 1988, so a good deal of time before the actress became known or stopped playing with dolls for that matter.
      Last edited by L'Etranger; 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

• Well punned LE!

Comment

• Deadpool. Tons and tons of Deadpool. Anything I can find.

If the movie gets canceled I will cry.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage View Post
            Deadpool. Tons and tons of Deadpool. Anything I can find.

Do you actually like the Deadpool stuff? I have a friend that loved Deadpool but quit collecting him once he got so overexposed.

I'm in a tough spot. For 20 years I have been collecting Marvel comics, but lately I have just been so unimpressed with the drivel Marvel has been churning out. The stories feel so tedious and uninspired. My friends have been ranting about DC for the past few years, so I finally picked up a few DC subscriptions, and I have to say that on the whole I am impressed. Maybe it's just the breath of fresh air you get for starting something new, but it feels like more than that. I have to say that I don`t like the direction that Bendis has taken Marvel down for years now (all the way back to Disassembled), and I really like the stuff Johns is doing in DC.

Maybe it's just me. I'd love to hear others' opinions.
            "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
            --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
              Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage View Post
              Deadpool. Tons and tons of Deadpool. Anything I can find.

Do you actually like the Deadpool stuff? I have a friend that loved Deadpool but quit collecting him once he got so overexposed.

I'm in a tough spot. For 20 years I have been collecting Marvel comics, but lately I have just been so unimpressed with the drivel Marvel has been churning out. The stories feel so tedious and uninspired. My friends have been ranting about DC for the past few years, so I finally picked up a few DC subscriptions, and I have to say that on the whole I am impressed. Maybe it's just the breath of fresh air you get for starting something new, but it feels like more than that. I have to say that I don`t like the direction that Bendis has taken Marvel down for years now (all the way back to Disassembled), and I really like the stuff Johns is doing in DC.

Maybe it's just me. I'd love to hear others' opinions.
              Yeah I'm a big fan of Deadpool (obviously). Unfortunately I didn't find out about him until right around the time of his popularity spike (about a year before the Wolverine Origins movie). I instantly grew to love him because his comics have characteristics that I enjoy.

Characteristics such as...

1) He's an anti-hero or otherwise misunderstood or controversial. He does things according to his whims which usually direct him down the path of good but he'll meander through evil to get there.

2) The script is very funny and basically a parody of all action comics. He's basically Wolverine for those of us who love to laugh and think the "brooding badass" act has gotten a bit stale.

3) The writers found an intelligent way to break the 4th wall. Deadpool knows he's a comicbook character... but he's insane so you could just argue that it is a relatively common delusion (how many movies have been made on this subject? Real people thinking they're comicbook heroes?) which, for once, happens to be true.

4) Despite being a laugh riot I've had a lot of fun reading his comics. If you think the script quality is going down look for Cable & Deadpool. I suppose your standards might be different than mine but I think this series is brilliantly written.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting other things that I like too. I think this post is long enough so I'll stop rambling now. Deadpool is great but if you pick up a random comic you might get thrown off by how random and nuts it seems. Try to find Cable & Deadpool 1 and I doubt you'll be disappointed... that's where I started.
              Last edited by ThanosShadowsage; 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Well, here's another opinion: since the late 1980s, Marvel's products have seemed to me to be an endless array of cross-marketings, explicitly designed to have fans spend as much of their money as possible on "rooting for laundry" (as Jerry Seinfeld once described the experience of backing pro sports teams). I don't feel the same way about DC, though they're as guilty of limitless cross-overing as their rivals. DC seems to pay more attention than does Marvel to the quality of its storylines. The company has attracted some good serial writers to even its most mainstream titles (e.g., Grant Morrison), and its consistently produced quite a few interesting series under the Vertigo line.

From among the adventure-genre comics that I read or collect, I'd easily recommend several Dark Horse publications, including any of their Robert E. Howard series (Conan, Kull, Solomon Kane) but I'd especially recommend any of the beautiful and wonderful (& anti-pixie shit) "Age of Reptiles" series by Ricardo Delgado. I ain't alone in my high opinion of that title, not by a long shot.

Comment

• TS - Thanks for the explanation about Deadpool as I was wondering about the same as J-Sun. Although, I have never picked up a Deadpool book and only gleamed info from comic magazines and web sites.

I have only picked up a few Marvels, although I have been buying Marvel UK reprints of the FF (including those Kirby ones of the 60 up to 80s) and just recently the War of Kings in MWOM. I have been a bit fan of Hawkeye for a long time and like to see him get back with Natasha, which is why I picked up Widowmaker.

I'm rather lucky as the Libraries in Surrey get graphic novels (but for how long, I know) and so keep up to date with the latest happenings that way. Recently been working my way through Kirby's Thor in Essential and it is a great way to read these seminal strips. Got from the Library, Green Lantern book 4, some great Gil Kane artwork and the second book of the Doom Patrol collected stories.

Comment

• No problem Pebble. One other thing I'd like to mention about the Cable & Deadpool series is that it was ranked #7 out of "The 10 Greatest Buddy Teams" of all time. Which is hilarious because they are not buddies. Very minor plot spoiler below..

The above spoiler contains more back-story than actual plot information. And what little of the plot that I spoil is contained within the first one or two comics.

I'd also like to mention that I was never a fan of Cable until this series. He always seemed a little overpowered to me and his personality was a little flat. Cable & Deadpool fleshes out a lot of things about Cable which were lacking and makes him a lot more believable in my opinion.

Is anyone here a fan of Cable?

Comment

• Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage View Post
                      Is anyone here a fan of Cable?
                      I started collecting Marvel in the early 90's. I remember when Cable came out. I remember when Deadpool came out. I might even have their first apperances if I dig around deep enough. I dp have Cable's original 2 part miniseries, and I have Deadpool's original 4 part miniseries. Both were excellent. The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix was a good series also if you wanted to get to know Cable better.

Cable+Deadpool is fine. There was a time I thought Deadpool was a great character. Then he got overexposed, and while slightly comical, they went over the top and overcooked it.

Storytime:
                      My wife cooks some great tilapia. Boils it on the stove in a frying pan with a touch of lemon juice. Flaky and tastes amazing. One time, however, instead of boiling it in water with a touch of lemon juice, she wasn`t thinking and boiled it in pure lemon juice. Now, a touch of lemon juice is great flavor, but nothing but lemon juice is quite sour.

Application:
                      A touch of humor is great flavor. Nothing but slapstick is just no fun. I think Deadpool go ruined by the overexposure and is no longer true to his roots, when he was a capable but quirky assassin. As for Cable... well, he's in a real pickle now, isn`t he?

But that's just me. Obviously, people are buying it, or Marvel wouldn`t continue writing half a dozen Deadpool books, so my thoughts are just mine.

I think Guzzlecrank summed up my thoughts perfectly. But I'm an old comic collector that misses the tales of the 90's.
                      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

• Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince. Decided to read all the Harry Poter books.

Not collecting anything.
                        Last edited by Grivessillus; 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM.
                        Going Linear Is The Only Game Garanteed To Drive You Mad

Comment

I'm an old comic collector that misses the tales of the 90's.
                          That's totally understandable. I've read a few of the older Deadpool comics but, since I started with the newer ones, I don't notice much of a difference. I don't doubt that there is one; I just don't know to look for one. I'm sure I've had a similar experience somewhere along the way... I just can't think of an example right now.

Comment

But I'm an old comic collector that misses the tales of the 90's.
                            Old? OLD?! The '90s' isn't old! I could say that I'm an old comic collector who misses the tales of the '70s and '80s but I know there are comic collectors here who probably miss the tales of the '60s and (I daresay) the '50s.

For myself, although there were some good comics that came out of the '90s the decade as a whole was a blotted mess of grim-n-gritty post-Watchmen/Dark Knight superheroics, gimmicky covers, over-hyped so-called 'comics superstars', increasingly convoluted intra-company cross-overs and rebooted comics series with comics more highly - or as highly - regarded for their investment value rather than their actual content. And I'm sorry but most of those sins can be laid squarely and fairly at the House of (increasingly-non) Ideas' doorstep.

Anyway, I don't have any strong opinions on Deadpool and Cable since I never read any of their comics (Milligan/Allred's X-Force was 100% more interesting to me than Liefeld/Nicieza's X-Force even if it alienated the majority of X-fans). As a DC-deadhead I was more into Deathstoke and Deadshot than any 'merc with a mouth' though I was less 'into' even them than I had been into the 'Marvellous' Deathlok the Demolisher (who could have had any of those imitators for breakfast) two decades earlier!

Did anyone read Garth Ennis/John McCrea's Hitman series from, btw? (I'm guessing not, tbh.) I get the feeling Tommy Monaghan was somewhat similar in tone to Deadpool though without (afaik) the 'breaking the 4th wall' motif. Anway, two of Monaghan's most iconic moments are when he used his x-ray vision on Wonder Woman and Catwoman:

Then there's this encounter with Batman:

But this is probably the motherlode:
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                              Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                              But I'm an old comic collector that misses the tales of the 90's.
                              Old? OLD?! The '90s' isn't old! I could say that I'm an old comic collector who misses the tales of the '70s and '80s but I know there are comic collectors here who probably miss the tales of the '60s and (I daresay) the '50s.
                              Totally agree, DM.

It would be nice for some artists and writers to have long stint at characters rather than a couple of years.

Just been reading The Comic Book Heroes about the creation of the silver age and into the 90's. Taught me a lot about the period and cleared up a lot of the arguments that I did not understand. Also been reading Comix the Underground Revolution and reminded of all those Marvel b&w comics, Savage Tales, Hulk, Doc Savage, always had a soft spot for them.

Thinking of getting the Essential Man-Thing Vol. 1 & 2 as it was comic of the 70s that passed me as it was always difficult to find in the shops. That is another thing, bring back news-stand distribution to bring more youngsters in.

Comment

• It's been a while since I posted here. Hello, all.

I'm moved to join in the discussion again as I've just put down perhaps one of the more unsatisfying reads in a while: Jason Aaron's Scalped.

It has all the elements that would interest me in a story, native americans, post-colonialism, sex and violence, but I've finished the second volume of the trades which consisted, along with the first volume, of mostly exposition.

That's two volumes of exposition laid out in a chronologically convoluted narrative. It just seems to lack a certain snappiness or zing.

I will probably give the next volume a try because they're relatively cheap though.

Have any of you been following it? Is it worth persisting?

Comment

Working...
                                X