Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevJo View Post
    I am coming across images and whole issues that I remember from my childhood - but I was never able to collect all of the titles. In those days you were at the mercy of whatever the local newsagent happened to have in stock, and the idea of a collecting consecutive issues of four different titles wasn't possible. So I am finding it hugely nostalgic.
    I hear you, brother - I remember walking miles on cold winter evenings from one end of Chorley to the other to trawl through the diverse comic offerings in the town's newsagents.

Things became a lot more convenient from 1985, when I got a Saturday job and could make regular visits to the (now-defunct?) Odyssey Seven comic shop in Manchesterford.

(I still can't pass through Manchester Victoria station without happy memories of how much anticipation and pleasure those comic-shop expeditions used to give me - and a pang of nostalgic sadness that it's so much harder in later life to generate the same sort of excitement about stuff.)

Comment

Wow...my list is ever-changing.

Right now I am reading:

Sweets (a mini, and the best book on the shelves right now)
      Secret Six (I ADORE Ragdoll!)
      Casanova
      CowboyNinjaViking
      Avengers
      New Avengers
      Amazing Spider-Man
      Invicible Iron Man
      Iron Man Legacy
      Wolverine
      Dakin:Dark Wolverine
      X-23
      Uncanny X-Force
      Astonishing X-Men

And various minis and one-shots, mostly those featuring Wolverine. I will probably be dropping the Avengers books (since reading Secret Six, I find the Avengers a bit...lack-luster), and Spider-Man (getting bored with it). I have to cut back because this is turning into an expensive habit. I'm not thrilled with Wolverine right now because it's all 'he's in Hell and demons are trying to kill everyone he loves' thing...which just isn't my cuppa. Wolverine and the supernatural has never been a comfortable fit to me. I much rather see Wolverine roaming the countryside, killing murderous rednecks and poachers and outlaw bikers...stuff like that.

Anyway, that's about it. The two books I really look forward to each month are Sweets (a New Orleans 'police procedural' in the days just before Katrina strikes), and Secret Six, though I am really enjoying Casanova, too. Also, Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis has been a real hoot - lots of fun - and I have big hopes for Uncanny X-Force...I really like the new team line-up, especially with Fantomex joining them now.

das

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
        Originally posted by KevJo View Post
        I am coming across images and whole issues that I remember from my childhood - but I was never able to collect all of the titles. In those days you were at the mercy of whatever the local newsagent happened to have in stock, and the idea of a collecting consecutive issues of four different titles wasn't possible. So I am finding it hugely nostalgic.
        I hear you, brother - I remember walking miles on cold winter evenings from one end of Chorley to the other to trawl through the diverse comic offerings in the town's newsagents.

Things became a lot more convenient from 1985, when I got a Saturday job and could make regular visits to the (now-defunct?) Odyssey Seven comic shop in Manchesterford.

(I still can't pass through Manchester Victoria station without happy memories of how much anticipation and pleasure those comic-shop expeditions used to give me - and a pang of nostalgic sadness that it's so much harder in later life to generate the same sort of excitement about stuff.)
        So do I, Tom.

I still remember where I found certain issues - New Gods no 10, the one with Bug and couldn't make head or toe of it. Did you go up to the odyssey 7 shop near the Uni?

There use to be a second hand book/comic/magazine shop at the back of the print works in one of the old buildings - probably gone now. Had a lot of SF/Fantasy books. A couple near the cathedral. Also England's Glory?
        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Originally posted by Pebble View Post
          Did you go up to the odyssey 7 shop near the Uni?

There use to be a second hand book/comic/magazine shop at the back of the print works in one of the old buildings - probably gone now. Had a lot of SF/Fantasy books. A couple near the cathedral. Also England's Glory?
          Yeah, it was the one in the university precinct. I remember heading off there for a Chris Claremont signing the night before my English A-level in 1984. (Sadly, my much-loved copies of X-Men 135-137 and 141-142 got lost somewhere over the past 25 years.)

They had another shop, which I think was the book and magazine centre, in a basement in the Corn Exchange. I think it was badly damaged by the bomb in 1996. I was there a couple of years ago - sadly the shop had gone.

Now I come to think of it, didn't Odyssey 7 use a Rodney Matthews image of Elric on their bags? I've had a quick whizz through Google Images and can't spot it.
          Last edited by Tom Murphy; 11-10-2010, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I did know the owner of Odyssey 7 in the early 80s briefly, as I worked for another comic dealer at marts in Manchester and Liverpool.

I did visit the Corn Exchange shop, rather pokey. The IRA bomb was good for Manchester in that it. There were improvements to the Arndale and the other 'neglect' parts between Victoria and Piccadilly stations were used for temporary shop. Odyssey 7 sold out to Forbidden Planet and FP shop is in Oldham Street for the last few years. Not bad, two floors with books, toys and RPG stuff.

Comment

I just found out (with my latest shipment of comics) that Greek Street and Madame Xanadu have both been cancelled (GS as of now, MX from the next issue). I also see that Morrigan Snort is off Batman and Robin, so with my other recent cancellations I'll be down to just:

2000AD (sub)
              Judge Dredd Megazine (sub)
              Hellblazer
              glamourpuss
              R.E.B.E.L.S.
              The Unwritten
              Hellblazer: City of Demons (didn't actually request this but it's only five issues so I'll let it slide)
              DMZ (in trades)
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Started getting season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The writing is most excellent. The art is... not exactly

Comment

Sharon Webb's Earth Song Triad

I just finished re-reading Earth Child, Earth Song, and Ram Song all by Sharon Webb. These were written in the early to mid 1980s. Did anyone else read/remember them?

Comment

My comic book club has been reading Wonder Woman's The Rise of the Olympian, which had some good points, but felt just another 'Doomsday' type villain crashing around and destroying lots of things.

Comment

• I picked up issue 2 of Ultimate Thor. Excellent stuff, I would highly recommend it, especially if you've never read Thor and would like to get into it before the film.

Comment

• So impressed with issue 2, I had to get hold of Issue 1 of Ultimate Thor. Excellent stuff.

Comment

• So I got over some of my bitterness towards comics and have upped my subscriptions, although they are still down considerably from the 14+ comics a month I was getting:

Thunderbolts
                          XMen Legacy
                          New Mutants
                          Azrael
                          Freedom Fighters

Of those, TBolts is the best, followed by XMen Legacy. The other three are still on the potential for the chopping block.
                          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

• As usual, I'm reading about five books at once, and a few comics. I ordered "The Coming of the Terraphiles" from Amazon.com during their Black Friday free shipping sale and am enjoying it immensely so far. Also reading an odd little alternate Civil War (U.S.) novel called "Lincoln's Sword," a new Battle of Britain book, "The Most Dangerous Enemy" by Stephen Bungay (deluxe illustrated version), "Lady Death Origins," a graphic novel condensing some of the Avatar comics I missed and "Destroyer of Worlds" by Larry Niven and Edward Lerner, the third of a very good trilogy of prequels to "Ringworld" which features Nessus the Puppeteer, Louis Wu, Beowulf Schaeffer and some of the other principals. Seems the Puppeteers manipulated a lot more than was hinted at in "Ringworld." I haven't started the one yet, but the first two were great. My fiance has a subscription to Marvel Comics online. I can't even begin to catch up on all the "X-Men" titles these days, but I'm enjoying the new "Captain America" series and "The Avengers," thought I still wish they'd give Doctor Strange his own book again. And I'm going to order and read the new Vampirella series as well. I'm a big Vampy fan from way back! I read the old Warren Comics Issue No. 1 in my childhood barbershop!
                            Last edited by WhiteWolf359; 12-05-2010, 04:58 AM. Reason: Forgot Vampy!
                            Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

• WhiteWolf359, did you get that black & white Dr Strange special from a few months back? Some good stuff in there.

Also the paperback Dr Strange Masterworks collection came out a few weeks ago collecting the first Lee/Ditko stories. I thoroughly enjoyed that one. Can't wait for volume 2.

On the recommendation of a couple of comics blogs I've been digging that Empowered series from Dark Horse.. I can't work out if it's sexy or sexist (it does seem somewhat self-aware) but it is rather funny and sweet.

Did anyone else get the last issue of Strange Tales II? I think that was the best issue of that series so far and the best Marvel comic of the year (imo etc). I loved the James Stokoe story and the Harvey Pekar one was sweet too. Possibly the best Machine Man story I've read too among other gems. Anyone know who did the USAgent story?

Comment

• http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Comics-...uct/184596554X

Just finished reading, 'When the comics went to war'. Looking at British War comics from the early start in the late 19th Century to its decline at the end of the 20th Century. Fascinating stuff.

Rather interested in the art work of a Warlord Strip called The Shark - which reprints 4 pages - very etching line b&w, very odd. However, I am having trouble locating anything on the web. Any one know any more?

Comment

Working...
                                X