Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zlogdan
    replied
    I have just finished Planetary volume IV, by Warren Ellis and David Cassaday. It was actually issued here bimonthly on the last months which culminated with this issue. Spectacular, fantastic... One of the best things I read....

Last edited by zlogdan; 06-01-2014, 11:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Speaking of Alan Moore I finally read From Hell the other weekend. Blimey! I basically dropped all my other plans to finish reading it all the way through..

Eddie Campbell's art is also fantastic. Now I'll have to get Alec: the Year have Pants.

I also finished the Stray Bullets slab of a trade paperback the other week. Also great stuff. It wasn't as consistent as From Hell or have that same flow etc, but it was hardly designed to be read in one sitting either. Maybe saying that it made me look at the crime genre a different way means that I need to read more--but there you go.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I had bought all Alan Moore Swamp Thing issues in the past. They were published on quite different formats and included in several monthly DC magazines in Brazil back in the 1985 up to 1990. If I am not wrong all stories before American Gothic were squeezed inside monthly Superman, DC bundles and the New titans. Then, ST got its own monthly title during "American Gothic". Until this point, all issues were published in the format we called "formatinho" aka tiny comics format ( 13 x 21 cm) http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formatinho and the original color was not used. This preposterous format was a common practice for comics in Brazil, as the publishers did not care for them and thought most titles were aimed to 7 years old kids and they thought their readers were dumb. After the end of "American Gothic" the magazine started to be published on the American format, still with "home-made" colors until issue #12 or #13 when I finally started seeing the original colors.

I had everything until a few years ago, when I needed some money and sold everything.

I actually have not read them in the last 10 years. My memory always told me that they were incredible and it was quite great to confirm that by reading this new reissue. The real value of them was not just thematic ( but I think they were deeper and darker than anything labelled horror comics before ), but aesthetic ( impressive, psychedelic art ) and mostly formal: incredible dialogs and off narration which was where Moore abused of his poetic verve.

Thank God that I loved them now as much as I loved back in the 80s.

Last edited by zlogdan; 06-01-2014, 11:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Well. Well...

I am kinda catatonic heheheehh

I have just come back from the bookstore down in the mall I have lunch everyday and I really cannot believe this:

Panini is releasing the Alan Moore Swamp thing saga. Well, publishing it decently finally. First volume has ST20 to 27, which gets a wow from me.

Bought it of course!

http://hotsitepanini.com.br/vertigo/...tano-livro-um/
    Last edited by zlogdan; 05-19-2014, 09:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    If you like comics, pulps, strips, printed ephemera and etc., you might enjoy these.

http://comicbookplus.com/

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

There are some real gems, early Kirby, Ditko and etc. tucked away in there.

These British efforts are really worth checking out:

http://comicbookplus.com/?cid=270

Especially the Lion comics.

Hours of fun...

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I recently bought copies of the collected parts 4 of both, Buffy tVS (season 9) and Angel & Faith. Both series have perked up no end. A&F is an especially satisfying read. Looking forward to the concluding chapters, when they come out, next month.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    My current pull list in 2014 now looks like:
    • 2000AD
    • Animal Man (series cancelled in March '14)
    • The Unwritten Apocalypse
    • Sandman Overture
    • Satellite Sam
    • Velvet
    • Loki Agent of Asgard (for my daughter)
    • Ms Marvel (for my daughter)

ETA:
    • The Fuse
    • Hawkeye (in digital back issues whenever there's a sale!)

I'm also buying back issues of Young Avengers (v2) for my daughter (big [Kid] Loki fan that she is!).
    Last edited by David Mosley; 02-13-2014, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Here are the pictures of Planetary Volumes 1 and 2

I had bought, sometime ago the old volume 3. It will save me some money right ?

I loved the thing. Prefaces by Alan Moore and Joss Wheadon.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    And I forgot to mention that incredible comics "Planetary Volume 1" by Warren Ellis, being reissued here finally, the whole thing! WOW

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    Got a few ones for Christmas:

Alan Moore "Tom Strong" absolute editions 1 and 2. Hard packs.
    J. M Stracyznski "The Amazing Spider Man" ( early first editions reissued in hardcover ) - for only 4 US dollars
    De Matteis "Kraven's Last Hunt" , reissued in a hardcover edition

Pictures:

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Got a few ones for Christmas:

Alan Moore "Tom Strong" absolute editions 1 and 2. Hard packs.
    J. M Stracyznski "The Amazing Spider Man" ( early first editions reissued in hardcover ) - for only 4 US dollars
    De Matteis "Kraven's Last Hunt" , reissued in a hardcover edition

Pictures:

Last edited by zlogdan; 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by irontoad View Post
    Any tips on a reading order?
    I guess it depends which MM comics you've downloaded, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• irontoad
    replied
    my download of MM comic books is nearly finished. might get em all in time for Xmas read. new Years for sure. Any tips on a reading order?

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    I'm enjoyed the first issue of the new Ennis dog series Rover Red Charlie. I loved Beast of Burden so I'm probably the target market for this kind of thing.

That comic about Sparta and the Helots, Three, is brilliant.

The only new superhero action comics I'm reading is the new Byrne sereis Triple Helix. Not bad. Much better than that spy comic he did (not good).

Also catching up on more Berserk. I love this manga.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    It's kind of odd that my daughter is turning into a Marvel fan when I've pretty much been a DC devotee most of my comic collecting life. But I suppose that's what happens when Marvel manage to nail their superhero movie franchise whereas based on their current performance DC would have trouble organising the proverbial piss-up in a brewery.
    Yet DC had a head start on the movie franchise, but it does not seem to have a permanent effect or give DC a head start. Could it be down to the characters? I am intrigued at how Marvel are developing under Disney tutelage. Both Pebble Major and Minor have little interest in superheroes, but will read Manga and non superhero titles. Admittedly, I was more impressed with X-men First class then the original trilogy or have the studio understood the story dynamics better?

Mrs Pebble and I watched Iron Man 3, which she enjoyed greatly from not really being interested. I suspect that Marvel retain the better characters, that add more depth to the story.

Incidentally, second episode of Agents of Shield was better and the internal links between films is also a great way to enhance the films and show. I think Tarantino used this in his films with an internal consistency?

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I treated my daughter to the first eight issues of Brian Bendis' Avengers Assemble! thanks to a 50% sale on Comixology yesterday. Largely because she's a big fan of the Marvel Avengers Assemble movie and it seems like the sort of thing she'll like. Had a look at the first issue on the iPad and I think (hope) she's going to get a real kick out of it.

It's kind of odd that my daughter is turning into a Marvel fan when I've pretty much been a DC devotee most of my comic collecting life. But I suppose that's what happens when Marvel manage to nail their superhero movie franchise whereas based on their current performance DC would have trouble organising the proverbial piss-up in a brewery.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X