Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    Don't forget part 4 while you're at it!
    If I can find it, I'll get it. Unfortunately I only got to the convention that one day, on a poor budget, and that was the only one in the dollar bin where it really doesn't belong. It was nestled amidst every issue of "Sailor on the Seas of Fate" other than what I already have, and also (or possibly at another vendor) a lot of Vanishing Tower.
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

my local comic shop is closing there doors at the end of the month (something to do with the me being the only regular customer that will spend more than 3 buck on common magic cards a week) and all there back issues are going for $.50 each they only go back to 2004 but thats still a good stack-o-books. so for i got...
      must of the 52, Count Down, Martian Manhunter, The Trials of Shazam, The Midnihgter, 52 Aftermath Four Horseman, 52 Aftermath Crime Bible, Avengers Invaders, Moon Kight, The Order, Check Mate, Final Crisis, Annihilation Conquest,Silver Surfer In Thy Name

And all of World War 3,Amozons Attack, Black Adam, Omaga Flight, Connor Hawk, Wraith, The Last Defenders, Nova, Super Skrull, Ronan, Star Lord, Quasar

and large run of Iron Fist, Nova, Superman, L.o.S.H., Supergirl, Action Comics, Punisher, Avengers Classics

To much to try and type at one time and going.

Comment

Gaiman's Sandman but trying to find Vol 2 of the Absolute Sandman collection is proving difficult. Have 1 and Vol 3 and 4 are readily available on the Net but 2 is being a bear.

herb
        herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

I'm slowly going through all my old comics from the 80s... A few worth mentioning from the last couple of days:

West Coast Avengers by Englehart, Milgrom, Sinott, Byrne etc

I was a big X-Men fan for all the sad adolescent reasons (and some good art) but also got this one too. I was much cheesier in a way but I loved that and still do: there were tons of idea, plenty of colour and action. I'm up to the John Byrne run now and I think it's up there with his Fantastic Four, perhaps slightly better because it's not so reverential to the comic's previous history/story-line.

Silver Surfer mini-series by Moebius and Stan Lee

Also classic. Economic use of text, fabulous art. `Nuff said!

Border Worlds by Don Simpson

I was too young to get this but now I wish I bought the last 2 or 3 issues (only got to 5). Really nice "adult" SF comic - hard to describe - set on a Space Station in a Binary system, political intrgue, space-ships, etc. I really do wish there were more issues of this.
          Last edited by Chris T; 11-30-2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Chris, the Silver Surfer by Moebius and Lee is brilliant, I also liked the Ron Lim run on the Surfer's comic, back when I collected loads of different titles each month. I managed to pick up a mint condition copy of Amazing Spiderman 122 and also a copy of Conan the Barbarian 1 in amazing condition, they have gone straight into mylar.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

I don't think my Silver Surfer collection goes up to the Ron Lim period. That's the 80s series, right? I think I may have found one of his but mostly the first six or so of that series with Marshall Rogers drawing. Not much is in Mint condition though I have to say - I try not to obsess about that these days, at least not as much as I used to.

Comment

Recent reads:

Blazing Combat
                This is a great anthology of a series that only ran for 4 issues before the US Army and distributors drove it into the ground: a compilation war comic. I can't say it glorifies war, as it gave me nightmares after I read a couple the first night I got it. I tried to pace myself reading it but read the rest of it a couple of day later.

Pineapple Army
                I got this cheap 2nd-hand on Saturday night (a quiet one). I love the late `80s (1990) cover design. I thought it'd be something about urban guerillas/revolutionaries but it turned out to be about the killer mercenary with a heart of gold...

Strange Tales
                I finally got the last two issues of this one: "alternative" comic artists doing the Marvel characters. Looks great on paper (I was excited) but in execution most of it was a bit twee.

All-Star Superman TPB 1
                After reading all the great reviews and seeing one new for quite cheap I got this one. The story is great and a little moving in parts. Unfortunately there were a few clunky lines (eg. the JLo line) and the intro was ripped straight off P Craig Russel's adaptation of Bradbury' Golden Apples of the Sun (well, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best). The art, however, is beautiful.

Comment

Supposedly after the Siege, Marvel is going to a new Heroic Age, kind of a time warp of sorts back to the simpler days when the Avegers had Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, and Spider Man`s biggest enemy was Teenage Angst, etc. They are ending all the various Avengers titles and going with a single title.

One the one hand, it`s about time. Bendis has killed us with his ridiculous meta-event following meta-event. On the other hand, if this is just some ridiculous wipe-away of continuity, I will be irked something fierce.
                  "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                  --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Just looking over my reading list again. I posted this a few months back
                    Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post

Invincible Iron Man
                    Amazing Spider-Man
                    Wolverine (which is becoming Dark Wolverine, featuring Daken his son)
                    Weapon X (the new Wolverine title with writer Jason Aaron)
                    Wolverine First Class
                    Wolverine Origins
                    X-Force
                    Uncanny X-Men
                    New Avengers
                    Dark Avengers

And probably something I'm forgetting.

das
                    Okay - so presently reading:

Invincible Iron Man
                    Amazing Spider-Man
                    Dark Wolverine
                    Wolverine: Weapon X
                    Wolverine First Class
                    Wolverine Origins
                    X-Force
                    X-Men Legacy
                    Uncanny X-Men
                    Uncanny X-Men First Class
                    New Avengers
                    Dark Avengers
                    Incredible Hulk
                    Hulk

Also reading several minis, like Dark X-Men, Captain America Reborn (which ends this week), and some other things as the spirit moves me. However, after this Siege event, I'm cutting out quite a few books - will stick with Spidey, Iron Man, and Wolverine, but I'm starting to tire of the team books, and I'll probably start getting Hulk in trade, since that's hubby's favorite and he tends to prefer trades. I might switch some others to trade - they are easier to read, easier to store, and easier to part with.

das

Comment

DasN, I agree. I am looking forward to cutting back. Currently collecting:

Thunderbolts
                      Dark Avengers
                      Guardians of the Galaxy
                      Uncanny XMen
                      XMen Legacy
                      XFactor
                      XForce
                      New Mutants
                      (and Dr Who from IDW publishing)

As for limited series:
                      Siege
                      Siege Embedded
                      Inhumans
                      Imperial Guard
                      Dark XMen
                      XNation
                      Cloak and Dagger

Dark Avengers is ending, and I will drop Uncanny XMen after the Hope/Messiah crossover coming up. Not a real fan of Uncanny these days. Looking forward to cutting back a bit. Less limited series as well. With all the comic books jumping to 3.99, I need to cut back.
                      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."

Comment

Got about 10 old Kull the Destroyer comics from Marvel for Christmas I'm still making my way through. I love how with this and with Marvel's old John Carter of Mars series instead of just making comic versions of the books they picked up the stories of the characters from where the original authors left them and continued their stories, doing new things but still with the same attitude and constant references only those familiar with the original texts would get.
                        "When the Eleatics denied motion, Diogenes, as everyone knows, came forward as an opponent. He literally did come forward, because he did not say a word but merely paced back and forth a few times, thereby assuming that he had sufficiently refuted them."
                        - Sّren Kierkegaard

Comment

New line-up for Thunderbolts has been announced:

Luke Cage
                          Moonstone (the only original TBolt who still needs to find redemption)
                          Ghost (the only member of the current team who will stick around)
                          Crossbones
                          Man-Thing
                          Juggernaut (I`m a Thunderbolt, B#*%$!!!)

Jeff Parker has done wonders for the comic already, and I am looking forward to his continued run on the series.

Comment

How is the Man-Thing a team hero? I don't get that.

But then again I'm still hanging for a Power Man/Iron Fist reunion

Comment

Originally posted by Chris T View Post
                              How is the Man-Thing a team hero? I don't get that.

But then again I'm still hanging for a Power Man/Iron Fist reunion
                              Yeah, others are saying the same. We`re about two months from finding out. Time will tell, but I have faith in Parker` ability to tell a good tale.

Did you read the Thunderbolts issue a couple months ago featuring Cage and Rand? They were on the cover. Cant remember which issue.

Comment

Yeah Jeff Parker is pretty cool. I remember he had the Man-Thing in his X-Men: First Class for a story.

I've read a few more comics and trades since I last posted in this thread.

All Star Superman, vol 2
                                This was really good. The stuff I found a bit tart in Vol 1 was brought back and actually had a point - set ups for the punch-line etc. I'll have to read the two volumes together somewhere further down the track.

Incognito
                                I totally loved this. Maybe a bit long but it definitely lived up to the hype IMHO. I'm a sucker for the OTT super-science pulp action.

V for Vendetta
                                I finally read this. Fantastic. I think it's my new favourite Alan Moore thing maybe until I get finally the new Swamp Thing reprints and even then it'll be an equal favourite.(I may have to catch up with his new stuff though before I make a final decision on The Best)

Hitman Monkey
                                I saw someone recommend this on a blog and someone else elsewhere not so keen. I fall in the former camp. It's great as a one shot - a neat simple story. Unfortunately I don't think it'll stay that way.

Now for the first time in about two and a half decades I'm about to have another read of Nemesis the Warlock!

btw

this is the frontispiece for the Incognito trade. What's not to like ? :)

Comment

Working...
                                X