Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris T
    replied
    Huh I just watched their Institute Benjamenta. Not bad.

Re comics: I'm reading the new B&W Elfquest reprint from Dark Horse. Looking forward to vol 2 already.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

It's not impossible. From Wikipedia:
    Before turning to film, the Quays worked as professional illustrators. The first edition of Anthony Burgess' novel The Clockwork Testament, or Enderby's End, feature their drawings before the start of each chapter. Nearly three decades before directly collaborating with Stockhausen, they designed the cover of the book Stockhausen: Conversations with the Composer (ed. Jonathan Cott, Simon & Schuster, 1973). After designing book covers for Gothic and science fiction book cover commissions they did while in Philadelphia, the Quays have created suggestive designs for a variety of publications that seem to reflect not only their own interests in particular authors...
    Would be interested in seeing some confirmation of that credit since it's currently missing from our cover in the Image Hive.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Speaking of cover art, I was looking at a 1st US edition copy of "The Land Leviathan" for sale online and I noticed that the jacket said cover art by The Quay Brothers. Are these the same Quay Brothers that are best known for their surreal stop motion animated short films?

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    Next I checked by Von Bek omnibus and Amano was the author of the cover as well! Hehehe Really a great thing to realize...
    The cover artist of the UK Von Bek omnibuses was Mark Reeve. His artwork is reused on the Gollancz omnibus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I really did not know Yoshitaka Amano. Yesterday I was starting to read MM "The Prince With the Silver Hand" UK edition and then I suddenly realized that Amano had drawn the cover! Next I checked by Von Bek omnibus and Amano was the author of the cover as well! Hehehe Really a great thing to realize...

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Neil Gaiman's "Dream Hunters". It would have been a comics but the co author Yoshitaka Amano said he would rather enjoy illustrating it. I find it completely astonishing visually. It takes me back to my childhood with all those fairy tale books we had a home and while I was young enough to read and the pictures were amazing. The text is obviously great as Gaiman knows how to write a adult dark fantasy dairy tale like no one.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
    After sometime ( 35 days ) my copy of Alan Moore's and Eddie Campbell From Hell arrived yesterday. Read prologue and first chapter. Really liked it a lot.
    Campbell's art is incredible...

Nice. I have those exact editions back in Dublin. Enjoy!
    I really hope you can bring all those treasures from Dublin. Speaking of From Hell, not surprisingly I am loving it. All the great things you guys and girls said about it are quite true. It might be possibly Moore's best work.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    After sometime ( 35 days ) my copy of Alan Moore's and Eddie Campbell From Hell arrived yesterday. Read prologue and first chapter. Really liked it a lot.

Nice. I have those exact editions back in Dublin. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
    Yet another lucky find for me from the boxes of my old books : Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell 2 Man - Machine Interface. I'll read it when not in the mood for writing but highly useful 'grist for my mill' regardless. Great in every department, this graphic novel is!
    An excellent book, takes a lot of attention and concentration to get through due ot the insane amount of information on every page, almot as good as the first book. Have you read Ghost in the shell 1.5? It's pretty good too, more police-procedural stuff, not much Motoko in it.

I just finished reading God is Dead: The Book of Acts, the Alan Moore strip is wonderful.
    I'm also reading Miracleman: A Dream of Flying. It is book one of Alan Moore's run on the story, his name isn't printed on the book, I guess because he hates Marvel.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Today it was father`s day in Brazil and my kids gave me exactly what I wanted for the day: Mark Millar's "Superior"! Pretty good stuff.

Well, I may have pointed the comics to my kids at the bookstore and pretended not to see what they were doing next.

Leave a comment:

• Kymba334
    replied
    Ghost in The Shell

Yet another lucky find for me from the boxes of my old books : Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell 2 Man - Machine Interface. I'll read it when not in the mood for writing but highly useful 'grist for my mill' regardless. Great in every department, this graphic novel is!

Leave a comment:

• KarmanalOfZert
    replied
    Here are the main titles I collect now. I collected as a kid, but this list pertains to when I started collecting again around age 18, 8 years ago now.

anything adapting anything by Michael Moorcock (my favorites are by First Comics from the 1980's)

Conan the Barbarian (mostly Marvel but some Dark Horse)

Kull the Conqueror / Kull the Destroyer (Marvel)

The Mighty Thor (Marvel)

Arak, Son of Thunder (DC)

Claw the Unconquered (DC)

any Flash Gordon that I happen to come across

any John Carter (Warlord of Mars) that I happen to come across

most Star Wars that I happen to come across

most Star Trek that I happen to come across

Hawkman (DC)

What If...? (Marvel)

Battlestar Galactica (1970's Marvel)

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Picked up a used copy of El Diablo by Brian Azzarelo. Although I cannot say it was bad, it was not actually good enough to put him in the Olympus where Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, J.M De Matteis, Warren Ellis or Will Eisner stand. I cannot even rival him with great comic writers like Garth Ennis or Bryan Talbot or even think he is as good as someone like Grant Morrisson, who has written some good stuff in middle of lots of sub crap art.

edit: forgot to mention that I am reading Watchmen for the Nth time, but the first in English.
    Last edited by zlogdan; 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I received the first issue of Ted McKeever's new six-part series, The Superannuated Man, this weekend. I've long admired not only McKeever's artwork (perhaps not to everyone's taste and arguably out of fashion in the New52/Marvel Now Age of Comics; which maybe why recently his work can't be found at either of the Big Two) but also his off-kilter way of looking at the world - especially series like Eddy Current, Plastic Forks and Metropol.* Superannuated may not be (probably isn't given the scenario) taking place in the same 'McKeeverse' as the aforementioned comics but it's an extremely accessible first issue and I'm interested in finding out what's in store for the last human, HE, in the rest of the series.

*Since McKeever moved to publishing through Image Comics I've unfortunately lost touch with his recent output; I bought Meta4 in trade but found it difficult to get into, though that might have had something to do with the smaller format of said trade.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X