Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave up comic collecting in my college years. Not that I had anything against, I'm no snob, but I had slowed down when the cost went from 12 cents to a quarter, hey budgets were tight, and I found I could buy paperbacks for $.50-.60. To me the story was always the important part. Didn't learn to appreciate the art until later. Even then I might have gotten back into it later when funds flowed better if not for one small fact.

When I left for college in '74 I took my entire collection, mainly Marvel titles collected over the prevous dozen or so years with a number of Silver Age firsts and put them in my dresser. Took up over 3 full drawers space wise. I didn't need the space, my clothes were going to school with me. Left my darlings sadly behind but until I knew what was going on dorm wise, having been already warned of overcrowding, I couldn't take them along. By Christmas break the dorm situation had been ironed out and I had made plans to have someone drive me back rather than fly since I was lugging a dorm fridge with me so i figured the comics could go also. Got home and went to my dresser and, instead of my collection, found 3 drawers full of linens. After letting out a scream that was probavly herad a mile or more away I found out that my mother, having done her holiday cleaning, thought my "unused" dresser was perfect for storing her linens. Asked where my comics had gone I was informed that she didn't think I really wanted or needed them any more and the Boy Scouts had been having a charity paper drive for the holidays so she donated them. Good bye Spidey 1. So long inaugural X-Men. Adios the entire run of Conan to that time, both the comics and the oversized $1 specials. Never had the inclination to start in again after that, just stuck with books and used the extra money to buy special editions of certain favorites such as Archival Press' edition of the Vanishing Tower.

Now after all that wordiness, to get back on topic, while I have given up on comics my daughter has come to love manga after I started allowing her to watch different anime and she found out they were based on books. So I have started purchasing manga for her, tho of course I do indulge in the guilty pleasure myself. Latest purchase was the Bleach collection 1, first 21 volumes, which she is getting either for her birthday or Christmas.

herb
    herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

New Warriors is ending. I'm hoping it ends with a bang, as opposed to the fizzle Heroes for Hire ended with. They've killed a lot of main characters off. Interesting to see if they bring them back.

Solomon Kane comic is great so far. Really captures with the art and the storytelling what feels to be the essense of the tales.

X-Force has impressed me more than I expected.

And for me, the big news...
      Cloak and Dagger are coming back for a limited series!!!!!
      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

I added Punisher War Zone, Garth Ennis & Steve Dillon's sequel to the classic "Welcome Back, Frank" limited series of a few years back, and Neonomicon, Alan Moore's new horror comic to my standing order this weekend though they don't come out until the New Year. I'm also re-instating Hellblazer from #251 (having dropped it after #120) since Peter Milligan is taking over the writing reins.

Picked up issues 2 & 3 of Ambush Bug: Year None at the weekend; probably the best comic I've read all year, especially the sly digs at things like One More Day:
        Lord Neron: I have already divined (if you'll pardon the term) that you wish your lover consigned... ...to eternal damnation!
        Ambush Bug: What--?! No, I just want you to erase our marriage!

First issue of Battlefields - Garth Ennis' new war comic - arrived last month. The first story, "The Night Witches", is reminiscent of Ennis & Chaykin's War is Hell: The First Flight of the Phantom Eagle (which came out earlier this year) in as much as it looks at war from the POV of new fighter pilots, although 'Night Witches' is about female Russian WW2 pilots rather then male Allied WW1 pilots.

As I said previously, I was thinking of dropping Wonder Woman now that Terry Dodson's left but having got to #25 this month I'll probably keep it on while Gail Simone's still writing it to see where she takes it. Am currently re-reading the last 12 months worth of issues as I rather skimmed them first time around.

Dave Sim's follow-up to Cerebus the Aardvark, Glamourpuss, continues apace with his exploration of the photo-realistic art styles of Alex Raymond, Milton Caniff and Hal Foster interspersed with his own photo-realistic 'copies' of fashion magazine ads as part of his satiric critique of the fashion industry. An acquired taste perhaps but well-worth picking up if you have an interest in post-war newspaper comic strips. Or 21st century fashion ads, I guess.

Morrison & Quitely's run on All-Star Superman finished recently. Highly recommend picking up the trade collections if you missed this gem first time around. Knocks the socks off the car-crash that is Frank Miller & Jim Lee's All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder.

Speaking of Morrison, I was minded to get Final Crisis but my LCR doesn't seem to get it 'on spec' so I've only read the first issue. Likewise I've missed some issues of Chaykin's Punisher War Journal, so I'll have to source them from the Internet.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Got some Phantom And Mad Magazines for my Multimedia store at the market.

Comment

Just picked up the Essential Ant-Man volume 1 (and there is no volume 2, sadly), reprinting all the old Hank Pym stories from Tales to Astonish, 35 through 65 or thereabouts, when comics cost 12 cents. Good good stuff. Gotta love those old tales. Really looking forward to the Antman movie supposedly in the works, and Avengers movie.
            "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."

Comment

In the Late Arrival category, I just began reading The Goon. Incredibly funny & anarchic, dark & twisted, and makes me laugh very hard. Brilliant art too!

I also just got turned on to a web comic (a whole new world to me) called The Abominable Charles Christopher.
              McN

"I learned: the first lesson of my life: nobody can face the world with his eyes open all the time." Salman Rushdie, 'Midnight's Children'

Comment

Collecting:

Uncanny X-Men - It's so-so these days since they moved to San Fancisco, which took the preachy mutants-are-just-like-gays thing a bit over the top for me. Maybe Nancy Pelosi will pop up in X-Men.
                X-Men Legacy - Better than I expected. Really it's mostly focusing on Xavier and Gambit these days. I like Gambit a lot, so good for me.
                X-Factor - Been consistently good, but is now suffering from a lack of direction. Looks to be good in the future, though, as they are bringing back Father John Madrox soon.
                X-Force - Surprisingly good. Maybe one of the best comics out there. Solid writing, incredible art, and great characters.
                Exiles - Okay, so New Exiles is ending because Claremont wrote another title ino the ground. They are starting the team over (a 3rd iteration) with Blink and a bunch of new people. We'll see.
                Captain Britain and MI13 - I had high hopes for this series, but Paul Cornell is not keeping up as well as I had hoped. Maybe a Tardis would help the storyline out.
                Thunderbolts - All new team. This batch now has NO redeeming characters on it. So now I just read it, looking forward to Osborn and the new team getting their @$$es kicked. Shame when you look forward to the heroes dying.
                Dark Avengers - Has the potential for bein the first Bendis comic I might like. What happened to the previous team of Thunderbolts? They got promoted. This has some potential, but for the same reason as the Thunderbolts: because we want them to fail.
                Ms. Marvel - And Moonstone is taking over Carol Danvers' title. It stood to reason. As I like Moonstone, I have hopes for this version.
                Guardians of the Galaxy - Half of the members of the Infinity Watch, half of the charm. The comic is really trying to find itself in the wake of Annihilation. Still, the characterization and dialog is pretty snappy, so it wins on the whole.
                War of Kings/Kingbreaker - So far Marvel's cosmic stuff is infinitely better than the claptrap Bendis feeds us with such losers as Secret Invasion and Civil War. Far better storyarcs, and hey, they keep bringing back lame characters like Darkhawk and Starlord and making them cool.
                Kull - It's a hack-and-slash Robert Howard story. It gives you what you expect, and is good for that reason. Not pretentious.

Comment

Just finished reading the first two TPB's of "The Sword" by The Luna Brothers ( Image Comics ) .... it's a pretty good read! It's set in present-day but has lots of flash backs as well.

Umbrella Academy from Dark Horse is a pretty good read as well. Super Heroes but with a dysfunctional family twist to it.

Walking Dead ( also from Image Comics ) is a good read. Great character development, although sometimes it's hard to keep track of the large cast.

Comment

The Essential Dr. Strange, Vol. 2. Unfortunately it's in B&W so half the pleasure of the psychedelic artwork from back in the day is gone.

herb
                    herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

just got a box of F4 there best of vol. 3-4 1-6 in there Marvel Knight run 1-6 + ann. in there ultamate run and about 20 random issues from the mid 200s

Comment

ambush bug ftw...

ambush bug alltime classic... always on the lookout for early badger by mike baron(most underrated comic writer of alltime?)

Comment

I finished off my run of Howard Chaykin illustrated Punisher War Journals this week (although annoyingly a page had got torn during the printing/binding process of PWJ #25 - and when I say 'torn' I mean three-quaters of it was missing(!) - so I'll have to source another copy sometime. (What survived hadn't been stapled into the comic either, which is why I think it's a production error, but I digress...)).

Seeing as how I've been without a comic retailer since the New Year on a trip up to London last week I was able to pick up the last three issues of Wonder Woman I've missed out on, as well as the last couple of months worth of Hellblazer, The Mighty and Glamourpuss. Also issue 1 of Dark Reign Elektra; not sure about that one yet, might have to give it another issue before I decide whether it's worth collecting. (Still only five issues though so...)

Sadly couldn't find a copy of R.E.B.E.L.S. #2 so I've sourced that from eBay, along with the first three issues of The Sandman: Dream Hunters, Hellblazer #251 (Peter Milligan's debut scripted issue) and Punisher War Zone #5 by the clasic team of Ennis & Dillon.

No sign online yet of PWZ #6 or Ambush Bug Year None #6, so I'm not sure whether they've been published yet although they should both have been out by now. Just have to keep looking I guess.
                          Last edited by David Mosley; 04-12-2009, 05:07 PM.
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Ms. Marvel is now featuring Karla Sofen, aka. Moonstone, aka. Meteorite. That has me pretty happy.

But bigger yet...
                            New Uncanny X-Men line-up is set to be: Emma Frost, Prof. X, Namor, Cloak, Dagger, Mimic?, Wolverine?, and someone else who wears an Omega on his chest. Okay. That looks like fun.

Comment

Let's see...right now my current list would be:

X-Factor (volume 1)
                              Elric (the First Comics series)
                              The Mighty Thor

Comment

I'm pretty much a mainstream superhero fan. Right now my pull includes:

Invincible Iron Man
                                Amazing Spider-Man
                                Wolverine (which is becoming Dark Wolverine, featuring Daken his son)
                                Weapon X (the new Wolverine title with writer Jason Aaron)
                                Wolverine First Class
                                Wolverine Origins
                                X-Force
                                Uncanny X-Men
                                New Avengers
                                Dark Avengers

And probably something I'm forgetting.

das

Comment

Working...
                                X