Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just read Annihilation, a Marvel crossover event with Drax the Destroyer, Nova, the Silver Surfer, Ronan the Accuser, the Super Skrull... the TPB's are out, and the three volume set was amazing. The sequel, Annihilation Conquest, is on back order.

Also borrowed Invincible from a friend. Everyone says its amazing. Just got done reading the first four issues, and I can totally see what the hype is. It's wonderful.
    "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
    --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

The Authority by Warren Ellis (and before that, his run on Stormwatch).
      Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

Comment

right now?
        Captain Britain and MI13 #3
        & Moon Knight #20

How do British folk fill about the Captain Britain?
        Last edited by Mr. Coyote; 07-24-2008, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know that Frank Quietly is a play on words? Frank Quietly means Quite Frankly.

Comment

I discovered in FP Cardiff today there's a new Ambush Bug mini-series out: Ambush Bug: Year None! W00t!! I'm so made up!

<- That's not the cover I picked up, btw. I seem to have got the variant cover* by AB creator Keith Giffen.

The wait is over — everyone's favorite Bug is back, courtesy of the original AMBUSH BUG team of Keith Giffen and Robert Loren Fleming! Cities will be destroyed! Cats and dogs will live in sin! Every unanswered question of the DC Universe will be answered! Live heroes will die and dead heroes will live! Okay, none of that actually happens, but join us anyway for this totally irreverent romp through the DC Universe as only Ambush Bug could give you!
            *Variant cover
            Last edited by David Mosley; 07-25-2008, 11:08 AM.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Coyote View Post
              right now?
              Captain Britain and MI13 #3
              & Moon Knight #20

How do British folk fill about the Captain Britain?
              Paul Cornell, the writer, is British, and has worked on the Doctor Who TV series, so I assume they can't be too non-plussed with it...
              "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."

Comment

Is this new Captain Britain drawn by Alan Davis? Nope, so it's not the 'real' Captain Britain.

An explanation: Although I read the original US-originated Captain Britain comic (written by Chris Claremont) in the 1970s, I didn't really get into the character until the mid/late '80s when Jamie Delano and Alan Davis were doing UK-originated material for Captain Britain Monthly, which was after the famous Alan Moore run in the early '80s (again with Davis).* Then I picked up Marvel's Excalibur, which picked up the pieces of Delano's storyline and return Claremont to scripting duties alongside Davis,who was by then widely identified as the definitive CB artist. The last CB material I picked up was Uncanny X-Men #462-5, only the first half of which was drawn by Davis. I've always found other artists' representations of Captain Britain lacking something by comparison with Davis' interpretation, who seems to understand the character better imo.

You can try selling me on the CB/MI:13 comic if you like, but when I read things by Cornell about the comic like: "I'm quite a fan of Gordon Brown.** I'm pleased we've given him a PR boost on both sides of the Atlantic and around the world. I feel quite sorry for him, so I'm glad I've contributed a bit." I have to say you'll have an uphill battle.

*Captain Britain appeared as a supporting character in a 'Black Knight' strip that appeared in the 1979-80 UK comic, Hulk Weekly, (predating the Moore/Davis run), which I did read and enjoyed a lot - and wasn't drawn by Davis but the wonderful John Stokes. It's considered a classic strip despite - or maybe because of - never being reprinted outside its original publication.

**Comics writers shouldn't be giving PR-puffs to politicians in their comic imho.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Is that the House Of M one?

Comment

Well, David, I'll take you up on that challenge if I can.
                    Although you may not like it, I think the new series is fantastic. But here's the history of the series.

Claremont recently was given the chance to restart Excalibur. Lineup was Capt Britain, Juggernaut, Nocturne, Sage, Pete Wisdom, and Dazzler, with the Black Knight in for around half a year. The line-up was interesting, the story was terrible. It ran 24 issues, and thankfully died at the same time Exiles died. The 2 comics coalesced into a single title called Die By the Sword, where the two teams combined and Claremont got to restart the New Exiles with his favorite characters.

I love what Claremont did for the industry years ago, but New Excalibur was terrible, and honestly New Exiles is bad too. I don't know if the guy ran out of ideas or what, but the stories are so bland I just can't care about them.

MEANWHILE... while New Excalibur was going on, Cornell wrote a miniseries on Pete Wisdom. It was avant-garde and brilliant, well worth picking up. Tinkerbell has grown up to be a snotty goth, there's a skrull who thinks he's John Lennon, and Captain Midlands is the delightful pun on Captain America. Great story. And apparently others thought so as well, since he got to restart Excalibur, under the new title of CB and MI13.

3 issues thus far, and they are excellent. Captain Britain, the Black Knight (always a favorite of mine), John the Skrull, Spitfire, some new chick who is muslim but not a cliched stereotype like Sand was in the XMen. Thus far, it has been a good read, but 3 issues may be too early to tell. Still, Cornell did great with the Wisdom series, and the list of WHO episodes he wrote are impressive, so we know he's a good writer, even if you hate his politics.

Now, here's the part you may not like: Issue 3, CB gets a new suit. Me, I like it, and I like how they introduced it, but if you are an oldschool purist, it might bug you. But thus far the series is in my top 3 titles (with Thunderbolts and Guardians of the Galaxy). It has great potential, IMO.

Comment

Just read the first two books of Gّdland - Casey and Scioli. Great fun and a good revisiting of a Kirbesque stylistic without being a dull 60/70s pastiche. The usual issues with what to do with a truly super-powerful hero are clearly there (what excuse this time as to why this rumble didn't end in 1 millisecond?) but its still well worth the read.
                      Fun but no must-have.
                      'Cept I must now get books three and four...

Comment

Not too long ago I picked up a reprint of Texas History Movies. A 1930s era cartoon history of Texas. It was a major influence on Jack Jackson, who started off doing underground comix about about Comanche Indians and ended up a notable Texas historian.
                        Dave Hardy
                        http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Just finally started reading Astro City.

I know, I know. Way overdue.
                          And yes... I can see what all the hype is about. Good good stuff.

Comment

Just got Issue 4 CB and MI13 & MoonKnight 21,22
                            I think I like what there doing with the CB and MI13 story, gearing up for there super group vs all the supernatural evil The British Lands have to offer. I still wanting to see what they do with Union Jack. All ways liked that character.
                            I don't know what I think about "The Death of Marc Spector" yet. But his
                            I hoping for a Werewolf by Night vs Venom before its all over.

Comment

Ive been collecting Thunderbolts since issue 1. Had a letter printed in the back even in the past year or so. I loved Niciezas run on the series, but was not a fan of Ellis on the book. Gage is doing a good job.

But for Moon Knight... man, the TBolts are getting around. Theyre popping up in EVERY book. I do hope they get back to the theme of redemption. It was a brilliant book at one time, but seems to be floundering, revelling in having bad guys on a team, and doing little more than show a lot of violence. Its picking up a bit, but still seems directionless.

Comment

Moon Knights story has alway been twisted and violent
                                I havn't been reading the TBolts run but there seems to be the underlying theme of redemption and revenge in the story, although I'm not sure for who.
                                The TBolts do get to take on a real cape and seem very happy about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X