Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flutegirlrockz
    replied
    Is that the House Of M one?

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Is this new Captain Britain drawn by Alan Davis? Nope, so it's not the 'real' Captain Britain.

An explanation: Although I read the original US-originated Captain Britain comic (written by Chris Claremont) in the 1970s, I didn't really get into the character until the mid/late '80s when Jamie Delano and Alan Davis were doing UK-originated material for Captain Britain Monthly, which was after the famous Alan Moore run in the early '80s (again with Davis).* Then I picked up Marvel's Excalibur, which picked up the pieces of Delano's storyline and return Claremont to scripting duties alongside Davis,who was by then widely identified as the definitive CB artist. The last CB material I picked up was Uncanny X-Men #462-5, only the first half of which was drawn by Davis. I've always found other artists' representations of Captain Britain lacking something by comparison with Davis' interpretation, who seems to understand the character better imo.

You can try selling me on the CB/MI:13 comic if you like, but when I read things by Cornell about the comic like: "I'm quite a fan of Gordon Brown.** I'm pleased we've given him a PR boost on both sides of the Atlantic and around the world. I feel quite sorry for him, so I'm glad I've contributed a bit." I have to say you'll have an uphill battle.

*Captain Britain appeared as a supporting character in a 'Black Knight' strip that appeared in the 1979-80 UK comic, Hulk Weekly, (predating the Moore/Davis run), which I did read and enjoyed a lot - and wasn't drawn by Davis but the wonderful John Stokes. It's considered a classic strip despite - or maybe because of - never being reprinted outside its original publication.

**Comics writers shouldn't be giving PR-puffs to politicians in their comic imho.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Coyote View Post
    right now?
    Captain Britain and MI13 #3
    & Moon Knight #20

How do British folk fill about the Captain Britain?
    Paul Cornell, the writer, is British, and has worked on the Doctor Who TV series, so I assume they can't be too non-plussed with it...

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I discovered in FP Cardiff today there's a new Ambush Bug mini-series out: Ambush Bug: Year None! W00t!! I'm so made up!

<- That's not the cover I picked up, btw. I seem to have got the variant cover* by AB creator Keith Giffen.

The wait is over — everyone's favorite Bug is back, courtesy of the original AMBUSH BUG team of Keith Giffen and Robert Loren Fleming! Cities will be destroyed! Cats and dogs will live in sin! Every unanswered question of the DC Universe will be answered! Live heroes will die and dead heroes will live! Okay, none of that actually happens, but join us anyway for this totally irreverent romp through the DC Universe as only Ambush Bug could give you!
    *Variant cover
    Last edited by David Mosley; 07-25-2008, 11:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• flutegirlrockz
    replied
    Does anyone know that Frank Quietly is a play on words? Frank Quietly means Quite Frankly.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Coyote
    replied
    right now?
    Captain Britain and MI13 #3
    & Moon Knight #20

How do British folk fill about the Captain Britain?
    Last edited by Mr. Coyote; 07-24-2008, 12:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Max von Bek
    replied
    The Authority by Warren Ellis (and before that, his run on Stormwatch).

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    I just read Annihilation, a Marvel crossover event with Drax the Destroyer, Nova, the Silver Surfer, Ronan the Accuser, the Super Skrull... the TPB's are out, and the three volume set was amazing. The sequel, Annihilation Conquest, is on back order.

Also borrowed Invincible from a friend. Everyone says its amazing. Just got done reading the first four issues, and I can totally see what the hype is. It's wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• Lankar Shrae
    replied
    200AD
    JD The Megazine

Graphic Novels

Hellboy
    BPRD
    SS of Conan Omnibus
    All the Dungeon books by Lewis Trondheim (Hilarious)

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Just revising my current reading list:
    • 2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine [on subscription] - bit of a dry patch at the moment, but hopefully the Summer Offensive will bring some good stuff.
    • All-Star Superman (Morrigan Snort/Frank Quitely) - Winner of Eisner Best Continuing Series
    • Thrud the Barbarian* (Carl Critchlow) - need to order #5 sometime
    • War is Hell: The First Flight of the Phantom Eagle (Garth Ennis/Howard Chaykin) - 5-issue mini from Marvel Max.
    • Punisher War Journal (Matt Fraction/Howard Chaykin) - short run by Chaykin similar to his recent post-Blade stint on Wolverine
    • Wonder Woman (Gail Simone/Various) - will probably drop this as Terry Dodson doesn't seem to be drawing it very much as present. Will give it to #25 and then see.
    • The Clandestine (Alan Davis) - 5-issue sequel to his '90s series, Davis' stories are always a lotta fun.
    Might pick up Morrigan Snort's Final Crisis series from DC but we'll have to see. I haven't followed any of the other Crisis/Countdown comics that DC produced in the past couple of years so as long as FC is fairly self-contained (like Crisis on Infinite Earths was) I'll give it go.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Stickman (when it comes out)
    Doctor Who (waiting for it to get good. Probably never happen)
    X-Factor (brilliant)
    Uncanny X-Men (waiting on issue 500)
    X-Men Legacy (still waiting to see if its good)
    New Exiles (hoping someone else starts writing it, as it is not good)
    X-Force (not bad so far, good art)
    Captain Britain and MI13 (Paul Cornell writes it. Looks to be great. Basically Excalibur)
    Miss Marvel (surprisingly fun)
    New Warriors (also surprisingly fun)
    Thunderbolts (I miss Nicieza. Ellis is leaving... we'll see what happens).
    Guardians of the Galaxy (Infinity Watch redux. Cool so far. A shame Rocket Raccoon didn't get his team name, Asskickers of the Fantastic.)
    Last edited by J-Sun; 05-21-2008, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Winter Craig
    replied
    Currently, I am collecting:

Monthlies -
    Captain America
    New Avengers
    Avengers: Initiative
    Wolverine
    Invincible Iron Man
    Thunderbolts

Minis -
    Secret Invasion
    Dark Tower: Long Road Home
    Avengers/Invaders
    Young Avengers Presents

I'm also slowly building my Gaiman's Sandman collection, one volume at a time.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    X-Factor continues to be brilliantly written. Best X title out there by a mile, maybe best overall.
    Looking farward to the new Excalibur, to be written by Paul Cornell (Wisdom limited series, Doctor Who).
    Nicieza is supposed to be returning to Thunderbolts, which has always been one of the best titles Marvel has going. Warren Ellis didn't do bad with it, but the style changed so dramatically, and then it felt like he had to start backtracking to get the thing back in line with the original concept of redemption. Since Nicieza once wrote New Warriors, I'm curious to see how he handles the Penance character.
    Oh, and New Warriors. Off to a slow start, but the characters are such fun and have such backgrounds. Any fan of the minor X-Men teens, including Jubilee and Chamber, Beak and his wife Angel, should without doubt pick it up.
    Ms. Marvel is the guilty pleasure these days. Surprisingly fun, and they brought in Sleepwalker and Machine Man. Nothing screams flashback to my favorite early 90's comics like Sleepwalker.

Leave a comment:

• opaloka
    replied
    I was sorting through my collection and I found 'The Bozz Chronicles', it came out on Marvel's Epic imprint (creator controlled) and qualifies as early steampunk (time travelling locomotives in victorian London qualifies I think!). They're as good as I remember, and like all the stuff on Epic they can be had for a song.

Leave a comment:

• mirkmaid
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawksun View Post
    I decided to get the first volume of Neil Gaiman's Sandman as well, which I've wanted to read since I got Good Omens, a novel co-authored by Gaiman and another of my favourite authors, Terry Pratchett.
    Sandman is great, and gets even better the further in with it you go.

At the moment I'm obsessed with a manga called XXXholic, created by the very talented ladies at CLAMP. The art is just incredible, and the stories aren't half bad either, if you like a bit of japanese horror

Leave a comment:

Working...
X