Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up the Another Suburban Romance collection by Alan Moore on spec. Not quite what I expected. Not sure if I could recommend it. It was not bad, well written and the artwork is very nice, but it was not exactly pleasant either (and I enjoyed Neonomicon) but, when you've bought your ticket, you take the ride..

I also bought the Grandville Noel book on spec as I loved the other ones. There was a lot of wordy exposition in this one which slowed things down a bit, a lot of anti-religious stuff that has been ruined by bores and bullies like Dawkins and Sam Harris. One of the goodies also says that meat eaters are more intelligent than vegetarians which made me ... I hope Roderick is in the next volume.

I found a cheap copy of the Longshot series TPB by Ann Nocenti and Arthur Adams. This has held up quite well and the digital remastering works.

I am presently working through volume 2 of the Elfquest TPB reprint from Dark Horse. I love this so much. Lots of action but with a light touch and tons of heart.

Comment

• Finally volume 4 of the Saga Of The Swamp Thing was issued:

Got volume 4 today!
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Zlogdan I think Volume 4 was the last truly amazing arc in the series.

Currently reading Death: The Deluxe Edition. I like her a lot more than Morpheus, the stories are just great and so is the art.

Comment

• Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
          Currently reading Death: The Deluxe Edition. I like her a lot more than Morpheus, the stories are just great and so is the art.
          Agreed she is a much more likeable character, which is kind of weird hehehe

As for Swamp Thing Volume 4: I remember enjoying the other volumes content but it was like 25 years ago since I last read them. this is the first time I read the arcs of volume 1 to 4 in real format because in the past they were published in Brazil in small format without original colors.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Picked up the new series of Hawkeye 2 and 3. Noticed that Garth Ennis was writing the Phantom Eagle in Where Monsters Dwell, ticking two nostalgia boxes.

Also picked up Triskelion by Kathryn Briggs

http://kathrynebriggs.com/

Could be some one to watch out for.
            Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• I've been reading
              Dark Reign: The List - a Secret Warriors one-shot from 2009.

Why?
              Because my friend Andy Williams pointed out that it has a reprint of an old Jim Steranko Nick Fury strip from 1968 in the back.

And much to my astonishment, said strip was the uncensored version, in print I think for the first time.

Totally unheralded, unmentioned in the comic in fact.
              By which I mean, the existence of any Steranko reprint therein is not actually mentioned anywhere on the contents page or cover.
              Let alone the historic importance of this very rarely seen art (AFAIK never in fact seen outside of small B&W image see in an old fanzine and twice reproduced online.)

More here:
              www.legionofandy.com
              Attached Files

Comment

• Just read Crossed +100 issue 5. Great stuff, second last issue of Moore's first arc. Goes into the origins of the slightly more civilized crossed capable of raising children without killing and eating them, also asks the interesting question of how a depraved serial killer would react to the Crossed outbreak.

Comment

• Gave into temptation, Friday. Bought a hard back copy of, Casus - 4. De Grote Zwendel. Set in 1977 in London around the Royal Jubilee. Sex Pistols included.

Also, a soft cover copy of, Wunderwaffen - Zeppelin's War 1. De Nachtraiders. Lots of zeppelin / bi- & tri-plane aerial combat action. Apparently, Hitler has been promoted to Flight Lieutenant in the imperial German air-fleet.

Comment

• Bought a copy of, Spike: A Dark Place (Season 9 of BtVS), today. Fun stuff from the peroxide vampire and fills in a few gaps in Season 9 of Buffy.

Comment

• Junji Ito - Fragmenrts of Horror

Fairly excellent short story anthology in hardcover format. The stories vary in quality but the art is always a+ with Ito and there are several really good stories in there too. Great book to have on the subway due to the brevity of the tales and the detailed art.

Comment

• Two great finds today.

A massive Joe Simon Jack Kibry sci fi omnibus hardcover (20 dollars!)

And a beautiful Will Eisner Spirit Archive volume 2 hardcover covering January to June 1941 (30 dollars)

Comment

• Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                          Two great finds today.

A massive Joe Simon Jack Kibry sci fi omnibus hardcover (20 dollars!)

And a beautiful Will Eisner Spirit Archive volume 2 hardcover covering January to June 1941 (30 dollars)

WOW WOW

Congrats! I envy you so bad!

Comment

• The Simon/Kirby one is 350 pages! and deluxe sized. Spirit is 200 pages. By strange coincidence both volumes happen to have intros by the legendary Dave Gibbons.

Comment

• The family and I went to Walmart this Saturday while I was paying for some Manga my youngest kid loves I saw Gaiman/Kubert 1602

I really loved it. It is one of the finest comics Gaiman wrote after Sandman. It sort of mixes Sandman/American Gods ideas with X-Men and Marvel. Superb.

Comment

• I think that's part of the same Marvel series that includes Moore's Captain Britain.

Comment

Working...
                                X