Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris T
    replied
    I'm slowly going through all my old comics from the 80s... A few worth mentioning from the last couple of days:

West Coast Avengers by Englehart, Milgrom, Sinott, Byrne etc

I was a big X-Men fan for all the sad adolescent reasons (and some good art) but also got this one too. I was much cheesier in a way but I loved that and still do: there were tons of idea, plenty of colour and action. I'm up to the John Byrne run now and I think it's up there with his Fantastic Four, perhaps slightly better because it's not so reverential to the comic's previous history/story-line.

Silver Surfer mini-series by Moebius and Stan Lee

Also classic. Economic use of text, fabulous art. `Nuff said!

Border Worlds by Don Simpson

I was too young to get this but now I wish I bought the last 2 or 3 issues (only got to 5). Really nice "adult" SF comic - hard to describe - set on a Space Station in a Binary system, political intrgue, space-ships, etc. I really do wish there were more issues of this.
    Last edited by Chris T; 11-30-2009, 11:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wolfshead
    replied
    Gaiman's Sandman but trying to find Vol 2 of the Absolute Sandman collection is proving difficult. Have 1 and Vol 3 and 4 are readily available on the Net but 2 is being a bear.

herb

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Coyote
    replied
    my local comic shop is closing there doors at the end of the month (something to do with the me being the only regular customer that will spend more than 3 buck on common magic cards a week) and all there back issues are going for $.50 each they only go back to 2004 but thats still a good stack-o-books. so for i got...
    must of the 52, Count Down, Martian Manhunter, The Trials of Shazam, The Midnihgter, 52 Aftermath Four Horseman, 52 Aftermath Crime Bible, Avengers Invaders, Moon Kight, The Order, Check Mate, Final Crisis, Annihilation Conquest,Silver Surfer In Thy Name

And all of World War 3,Amozons Attack, Black Adam, Omaga Flight, Connor Hawk, Wraith, The Last Defenders, Nova, Super Skrull, Ronan, Star Lord, Quasar

and large run of Iron Fist, Nova, Superman, L.o.S.H., Supergirl, Action Comics, Punisher, Avengers Classics

To much to try and type at one time and going.

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    Don't forget part 4 while you're at it!
    If I can find it, I'll get it. Unfortunately I only got to the convention that one day, on a poor budget, and that was the only one in the dollar bin where it really doesn't belong. It was nestled amidst every issue of "Sailor on the Seas of Fate" other than what I already have, and also (or possibly at another vendor) a lot of Vanishing Tower.

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Don't forget part 4 while you're at it!

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    What turned out to be part 2 of "The Making of a Sorceror" graphic book. I picked it up at FanExpo; $1. It seemed like a very good cheeseburger; enjoyable but it went by very quickly. Now to find part 1 and 3.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Originally posted by Selkirk View Post
    ambush bug alltime classic... always on the lookout for early badger by mike baron(most underrated comic writer of alltime?)

I recently re-read his run on the Flash with Wally West as the Flash.. Great off the wall stuff. I liked how he had West get (and lose) all the girls too.

Have you seen this interview with Baron?
    Mike Baron's Coked-Up Heyday

I've been digging the Wednesday Comics weekly broadsheet thing from DC which has been enticing me back into comic shops (also after a long hiatus). The Strange Adventures, Hawkman and the Kamandi strips there are favourites of mine.

I've now started to pick up the new Batwoman series in Detective Comics - the art is lush. The back up story with The Question is great too.

I've been following Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America. I'm not a fan of the Cap but this is solidly written, exciting action comics. I'm keen to check out his Incognito series once it's released as a trade.

I tried a few X-Men First Class trades - which I thoroughly enjoyed, being a fan of the original X-Men team.

I've also started getting into the DMZ trades from Vertigo/DC.

I am also reading the new anthology of old Spider pulps "City of Doom" which although prose, it really reads like a prose comic book. It puts all of the above into context (except maybe X-Men: First Class).

Before I came here just now I read this quote from JG Ballard which can be applied to the Spider stories where the protagonist is an aristocratic mass murderer of "gangsters" whose master-minds inflict catastrophes on Gotham (collapsing sky-scrapers etc) and who deserve the gory fate the Spider inflicts:

"Our societies are driven by conflicting psychopathological impulses. A huge natural catastrophe like Katrina fits perfectly with our fundamentally apocalyptic mood. One has to realize that we live in principally secular societies: God is dead... They are the violent forces that punish us for our immoral lives. That can be very satisfying, so long as one isn’t affected oneself."
    EDIT: That cover of Comet #1 looks awesome.
    Last edited by Chris T; 08-29-2009, 08:40 PM. Reason: added images.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Okay, the last 2 issues of Thunderbolts were great! It used to be my favorite comic, until Ellis took it over. Looks like Diggle is getting it back to where it should be.

Captain Britain just ended. Eh. Probably for the best. It was a bit weak. (A shame, as Cornell is such a good writer.)

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied
    Haven't found a comic store in Andalusia yet, on my last trip back to Glasgow I called in at A1 books and picked up the new Guardians of the Galaxy ( On J-Sun's recommendation!! ), also picked up Amazing Spiderman and Uncanny X-Men. Years ago I had a standing order and my list was massive, most Marvels, lots of DCs, Cerebus however I kind of lost interest during the Ron Perelman time in Marvel when the company nearly went bust and tried everything to make money. I like the new Guardians series and next time I am back am going to ask the guys in A1 books if they will ship here, if not I'll give my Mum a list and have her send them over every three months or so!!!

Leave a comment:

• Lankar Shrae
    replied
    Completed collecting :

HellBlazer
    Dungeon
    All current 2000AD re-prints by Rebellion
    HellBoy
    BPRD
    Savage Sword of Mr Conan
    Creepy
    Eerie
    Excellent Marvel illustrated classics

And now on to my LOTR arms and armour replicas

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Coyote
    replied
    DC comics after buying Impact Comics (Archie Comics action line) almost 20 years ago has repackaged The Mighty Crusaders (1965) in to the Red Circle. DC had put out a Deep Impact story line in 1991 but keep it in the/a Impact Universe. Now they are introducing four "new" characters to the DC Universe in One-Shot Books in August. Hangman (1941), Arson (aka Inferno 1941), The Web (1942), and The Sheild (1940). With means its only a matter of time be for The Return Of The (also 1940)

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Oh, okay - yeah, then I am going to be reading it. I actually like Daken sometimes better than his pa, simply because he's SO unpredictable. I love a character you just can't read. However...I prefer such a character to remain in the grey area - villain sometimes, hero sometimes - but never either of the two extremes.
    das
    I agree. That has been the point of Thunderbolts for the most part, which is why I like that comic, and now Dark Avengers (Thunderbolts part 2) and Uncanny XMen. Don`t get me wrong. I like wonderful good guy teams, but there is something fun about dark antiheroes. It's why we all like Elric, and why I always loved Cloak and Dagger. Cloak was very dark, although they are kind of cleaing up his image and compared to the rest of the XMen team he will be one of the good guys.

Leave a comment:

• dasNdanger
    replied
    Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
    Not sure I'll follow Uncanny unless Wolverine's somewhere in there.
    das
    Wolverine's son Daken is in it.
    Oh, okay - yeah, then I am going to be reading it. I actually like Daken sometimes better than his pa, simply because he's SO unpredictable. I love a character you just can't read. However...I prefer such a character to remain in the grey area - villain sometimes, hero sometimes - but never either of the two extremes.

das

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Not sure I'll follow Uncanny unless Wolverine's somewhere in there.
    das
    Wolverine's son Daken is in it.

Leave a comment:

• dasNdanger
    replied
    Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
    I'm pretty much a mainstream superhero fan. Right now my pull includes:

Invincible Iron Man
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Wolverine (which is becoming Dark Wolverine, featuring Daken his son)
    Weapon X (the new Wolverine title with writer Jason Aaron)
    Wolverine First Class
    Wolverine Origins
    X-Force
    Uncanny X-Men
    New Avengers
    Dark Avengers

And probably something I'm forgetting.

das
    You and I are gonna talk Uncanny after July 8th when the new team comes out. Cloak and Dagger are my favorite charavters, and I am a big fan of Emma and Mimic as well. This new line up looks great.

DRKXMEN001_1680.jpg
    I'm reading Astonishing X-men, too.

Not sure I'll follow Uncanny unless Wolverine's somewhere in there. Things are getting a bit expensive right now with Marvel's prices going up, and now I've added Uncanny First Class, and X-Men Forever (not sure if they are both on-goings, or what), and then all the one-shots and minis...and I'm going broke!

I gotta say - Wolverine Origins has received a lot of flack over the years, but it continues to be one of my favorite books. It's not all slice and dice like most Wolverine books, but a bit more intrigue and angst.

My lcs is closing, so now I'm getting my books on-line (starting July 1 - there will be a delay). I'm giving a guy I know from Bendis' forum a go - he has a shop down in NC, and I really want to support a brick and mortar outfit if I can. http://acmecomics.com/

das

Leave a comment:

Working...
X