Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    After sometime ( 35 days ) my copy of Alan Moore's and Eddie Campbell From Hell arrived yesterday. Read prologue and first chapter. Really liked it a lot.
    Campbell's art is incredible...

Nice. I have those exact editions back in Dublin. Enjoy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
      Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
      After sometime ( 35 days ) my copy of Alan Moore's and Eddie Campbell From Hell arrived yesterday. Read prologue and first chapter. Really liked it a lot.
      Campbell's art is incredible...

Nice. I have those exact editions back in Dublin. Enjoy!
      I really hope you can bring all those treasures from Dublin. Speaking of From Hell, not surprisingly I am loving it. All the great things you guys and girls said about it are quite true. It might be possibly Moore's best work.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Neil Gaiman's "Dream Hunters". It would have been a comics but the co author Yoshitaka Amano said he would rather enjoy illustrating it. I find it completely astonishing visually. It takes me back to my childhood with all those fairy tale books we had a home and while I was young enough to read and the pictures were amazing. The text is obviously great as Gaiman knows how to write a adult dark fantasy dairy tale like no one.
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• I really did not know Yoshitaka Amano. Yesterday I was starting to read MM "The Prince With the Silver Hand" UK edition and then I suddenly realized that Amano had drawn the cover! Next I checked by Von Bek omnibus and Amano was the author of the cover as well! Hehehe Really a great thing to realize...

Comment

• Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
            Next I checked by Von Bek omnibus and Amano was the author of the cover as well! Hehehe Really a great thing to realize...
            The cover artist of the UK Von Bek omnibuses was Mark Reeve. His artwork is reused on the Gollancz omnibus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Speaking of cover art, I was looking at a 1st US edition copy of "The Land Leviathan" for sale online and I noticed that the jacket said cover art by The Quay Brothers. Are these the same Quay Brothers that are best known for their surreal stop motion animated short films?
              "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
              'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

• What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

It's not impossible. From Wikipedia:
                Before turning to film, the Quays worked as professional illustrators. The first edition of Anthony Burgess' novel The Clockwork Testament, or Enderby's End, feature their drawings before the start of each chapter. Nearly three decades before directly collaborating with Stockhausen, they designed the cover of the book Stockhausen: Conversations with the Composer (ed. Jonathan Cott, Simon & Schuster, 1973). After designing book covers for Gothic and science fiction book cover commissions they did while in Philadelphia, the Quays have created suggestive designs for a variety of publications that seem to reflect not only their own interests in particular authors...
                Would be interested in seeing some confirmation of that credit since it's currently missing from our cover in the Image Hive.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Huh I just watched their Institute Benjamenta. Not bad.

Re comics: I'm reading the new B&W Elfquest reprint from Dark Horse. Looking forward to vol 2 already.

Comment

• Picked up a copy of House Party by Rachael Smith at Gosh

http://rachaelsmithillustration.blog...lcaf-2014.html
                    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                      Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                      Next I checked by Von Bek omnibus and Amano was the author of the cover as well! Hehehe Really a great thing to realize...
                      The cover artist of the UK Von Bek omnibuses was Mark Reeve. His artwork is reused on the Gollancz omnibus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry my bad ;-)

Comment

• I'm not a big fan of Manga but I am a huge fan of good psychological horror, therefore the last comics I read were Junji Ito's entire story 'Uzumaki'. A terrifying tale of a small coastal village in Japan who's residents are being terrorized by a Spiral Curse. The artwork is phenomenally good and the slow-paced foreboding atmosphere of the stories really gets under your skin.

Despite being a Japanese horror comic it's not particularly gratuitous and avoids sexual perversion or any kind of suggestive tentacle scenes in favour of a well crafted atmosphere.

I highly recommend this to fans of Lovecraft and Po.

Comment

• I had the paperback Watchmen now I bought the hardcover definitive edition in Portuguese for half the price.

Comment

• The second volume of the " Swamp Thing Saga" ( Portuguese ) was finally released here today. Got it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
                              Speaking of cover art, I was looking at a 1st US edition copy of "The Land Leviathan" for sale online and I noticed that the jacket said cover art by The Quay Brothers. Are these the same Quay Brothers that are best known for their surreal stop motion animated short films?
                              Fine looking cover. Very much in the spirit of New Worlds, too.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/land-leviath...ine-dj-2285458

Comment

• Warren Ellis / Chris Sprouse "Ocean".

After I read it I could not avoid thinking this was a quite entertaining and smart science fiction story which could become a real great movie. Anyway, the plot is very interesting, an ocean in one of Jupiter's moons holding some ancient secrets. Fantastic art, dialogs and characters.

Comment

Working...
                                X