Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhiteWolf359
    replied
    Captain America Reborn
    The Siege
    The Flash
    Lady Death
    Vampirella

Leave a comment:

• dasNdanger
    replied
    Yeah, not sure how I'm gonna like the 'heroic' age. I love Wolverine, who's never exactly been a squeaky clean hero. I have really enjoyed the gray area characters, and don't want a bunch of 'Superman' characters at Marvel. It's bad enough they have Scott Summers.

That said, I really haven't looked forward (in time) to what's coming out (I REALLY need to start picking up Previews, or something). There is, however, one book I have heard about, and I'm thrilled! Just can't wait for: Astonishing Spider-Man/Wolverine, with Jason Aaron (I believe) writing. If there was one on-going team-up book I'd love to see, it's one with these two together - they just have great chemistry. I'm not sure how long this series is supposed to run, but it's one I'd gladly pick up, even if I have to sacrifice another title or two.

das

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Grrrrr....

This new Heroic Age Marvel is doing.
    Don`t get me wrong, I like the idea of going back to having good guys and bad guys. What I hate is when a writer says, "Well, I liked it when such-and-such was a bad guy, so I want to ignore the last 10 years of comics and make this character a bad guy again."

Mainly I am talking about Baron Zemo, one of my favorite characters in comics, the reason Thunderbolts became my favorite comic. Brubaker is turning him back into a nazi, effectively ignoring the character`s long road to redemption that Nicieza told over many years.

I am not happy about this at all.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    My current 'pull list' - I just picked up three months worth of comics from my not-so-local comic shop this weekend - looks like:

2000AD (sub)
    Judge Dredd Megazine (sub)
    Wonder Woman
    Power Girl
    Hellblazer
    glamourpuss
    R.E.B.E.L.S.
    The Unwritten
    Greek Street
    Batman and Robin
    Madame Xanadu
    Batman Confidential
    DMZ (in trades)

It's not strictly a comic (by any definition) but Alan Moore's 'collective' magazine Dodgem Logic is now on it's second issue and would certainly be on my 'pull list' if I wasn't ordering it direct (they don't offer subscriptions - yet).

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Yeah Jeff Parker is pretty cool. I remember he had the Man-Thing in his X-Men: First Class for a story.

I've read a few more comics and trades since I last posted in this thread.

All Star Superman, vol 2
    This was really good. The stuff I found a bit tart in Vol 1 was brought back and actually had a point - set ups for the punch-line etc. I'll have to read the two volumes together somewhere further down the track.

Incognito
    I totally loved this. Maybe a bit long but it definitely lived up to the hype IMHO. I'm a sucker for the OTT super-science pulp action.

V for Vendetta
    I finally read this. Fantastic. I think it's my new favourite Alan Moore thing maybe until I get finally the new Swamp Thing reprints and even then it'll be an equal favourite.(I may have to catch up with his new stuff though before I make a final decision on The Best)

Hitman Monkey
    I saw someone recommend this on a blog and someone else elsewhere not so keen. I fall in the former camp. It's great as a one shot - a neat simple story. Unfortunately I don't think it'll stay that way.

Now for the first time in about two and a half decades I'm about to have another read of Nemesis the Warlock!

btw

this is the frontispiece for the Incognito trade. What's not to like ? :)

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris T View Post
    How is the Man-Thing a team hero? I don't get that.

But then again I'm still hanging for a Power Man/Iron Fist reunion
    Yeah, others are saying the same. We`re about two months from finding out. Time will tell, but I have faith in Parker` ability to tell a good tale.

Did you read the Thunderbolts issue a couple months ago featuring Cage and Rand? They were on the cover. Cant remember which issue.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    How is the Man-Thing a team hero? I don't get that.

But then again I'm still hanging for a Power Man/Iron Fist reunion

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    New line-up for Thunderbolts has been announced:

Luke Cage
    Moonstone (the only original TBolt who still needs to find redemption)
    Ghost (the only member of the current team who will stick around)
    Crossbones
    Man-Thing
    Juggernaut (I`m a Thunderbolt, B#*%$!!!)

Jeff Parker has done wonders for the comic already, and I am looking forward to his continued run on the series.

Leave a comment:

• KarmanalOfZert
    replied
    Got about 10 old Kull the Destroyer comics from Marvel for Christmas I'm still making my way through. I love how with this and with Marvel's old John Carter of Mars series instead of just making comic versions of the books they picked up the stories of the characters from where the original authors left them and continued their stories, doing new things but still with the same attitude and constant references only those familiar with the original texts would get.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    DasN, I agree. I am looking forward to cutting back. Currently collecting:

Thunderbolts
    Dark Avengers
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Uncanny XMen
    XMen Legacy
    XFactor
    XForce
    New Mutants
    (and Dr Who from IDW publishing)

As for limited series:
    Siege
    Siege Embedded
    Inhumans
    Imperial Guard
    Dark XMen
    XNation
    Cloak and Dagger

Dark Avengers is ending, and I will drop Uncanny XMen after the Hope/Messiah crossover coming up. Not a real fan of Uncanny these days. Looking forward to cutting back a bit. Less limited series as well. With all the comic books jumping to 3.99, I need to cut back.

Leave a comment:

• dasNdanger
    replied
    Just looking over my reading list again. I posted this a few months back
    Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post

Invincible Iron Man
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Wolverine (which is becoming Dark Wolverine, featuring Daken his son)
    Weapon X (the new Wolverine title with writer Jason Aaron)
    Wolverine First Class
    Wolverine Origins
    X-Force
    Uncanny X-Men
    New Avengers
    Dark Avengers

And probably something I'm forgetting.

das
    Okay - so presently reading:

Invincible Iron Man
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Dark Wolverine
    Wolverine: Weapon X
    Wolverine First Class
    Wolverine Origins
    X-Force
    X-Men Legacy
    Uncanny X-Men
    Uncanny X-Men First Class
    New Avengers
    Dark Avengers
    Incredible Hulk
    Hulk

Also reading several minis, like Dark X-Men, Captain America Reborn (which ends this week), and some other things as the spirit moves me. However, after this Siege event, I'm cutting out quite a few books - will stick with Spidey, Iron Man, and Wolverine, but I'm starting to tire of the team books, and I'll probably start getting Hulk in trade, since that's hubby's favorite and he tends to prefer trades. I might switch some others to trade - they are easier to read, easier to store, and easier to part with.

das

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Supposedly after the Siege, Marvel is going to a new Heroic Age, kind of a time warp of sorts back to the simpler days when the Avegers had Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, and Spider Man`s biggest enemy was Teenage Angst, etc. They are ending all the various Avengers titles and going with a single title.

One the one hand, it`s about time. Bendis has killed us with his ridiculous meta-event following meta-event. On the other hand, if this is just some ridiculous wipe-away of continuity, I will be irked something fierce.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Recent reads:

Blazing Combat
    This is a great anthology of a series that only ran for 4 issues before the US Army and distributors drove it into the ground: a compilation war comic. I can't say it glorifies war, as it gave me nightmares after I read a couple the first night I got it. I tried to pace myself reading it but read the rest of it a couple of day later.

Pineapple Army
    I got this cheap 2nd-hand on Saturday night (a quiet one). I love the late `80s (1990) cover design. I thought it'd be something about urban guerillas/revolutionaries but it turned out to be about the killer mercenary with a heart of gold...

Strange Tales
    I finally got the last two issues of this one: "alternative" comic artists doing the Marvel characters. Looks great on paper (I was excited) but in execution most of it was a bit twee.

All-Star Superman TPB 1
    After reading all the great reviews and seeing one new for quite cheap I got this one. The story is great and a little moving in parts. Unfortunately there were a few clunky lines (eg. the JLo line) and the intro was ripped straight off P Craig Russel's adaptation of Bradbury' Golden Apples of the Sun (well, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best). The art, however, is beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    I don't think my Silver Surfer collection goes up to the Ron Lim period. That's the 80s series, right? I think I may have found one of his but mostly the first six or so of that series with Marshall Rogers drawing. Not much is in Mint condition though I have to say - I try not to obsess about that these days, at least not as much as I used to.

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied
    Chris, the Silver Surfer by Moebius and Lee is brilliant, I also liked the Ron Lim run on the Surfer's comic, back when I collected loads of different titles each month. I managed to pick up a mint condition copy of Amazing Spiderman 122 and also a copy of Conan the Barbarian 1 in amazing condition, they have gone straight into mylar.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X