Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well. Well...

I am kinda catatonic heheheehh

I have just come back from the bookstore down in the mall I have lunch everyday and I really cannot believe this:

Panini is releasing the Alan Moore Swamp thing saga. Well, publishing it decently finally. First volume has ST20 to 27, which gets a wow from me.

Bought it of course!

http://hotsitepanini.com.br/vertigo/...tano-livro-um/
    Last edited by zlogdan; 05-19-2014, 09:37 AM.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• I had bought all Alan Moore Swamp Thing issues in the past. They were published on quite different formats and included in several monthly DC magazines in Brazil back in the 1985 up to 1990. If I am not wrong all stories before American Gothic were squeezed inside monthly Superman, DC bundles and the New titans. Then, ST got its own monthly title during "American Gothic". Until this point, all issues were published in the format we called "formatinho" aka tiny comics format ( 13 x 21 cm) http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formatinho and the original color was not used. This preposterous format was a common practice for comics in Brazil, as the publishers did not care for them and thought most titles were aimed to 7 years old kids and they thought their readers were dumb. After the end of "American Gothic" the magazine started to be published on the American format, still with "home-made" colors until issue #12 or #13 when I finally started seeing the original colors.

I had everything until a few years ago, when I needed some money and sold everything.

I actually have not read them in the last 10 years. My memory always told me that they were incredible and it was quite great to confirm that by reading this new reissue. The real value of them was not just thematic ( but I think they were deeper and darker than anything labelled horror comics before ), but aesthetic ( impressive, psychedelic art ) and mostly formal: incredible dialogs and off narration which was where Moore abused of his poetic verve.

Thank God that I loved them now as much as I loved back in the 80s.

Last edited by zlogdan; 06-01-2014, 11:34 AM.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Speaking of Alan Moore I finally read From Hell the other weekend. Blimey! I basically dropped all my other plans to finish reading it all the way through..

Eddie Campbell's art is also fantastic. Now I'll have to get Alec: the Year have Pants.

I also finished the Stray Bullets slab of a trade paperback the other week. Also great stuff. It wasn't as consistent as From Hell or have that same flow etc, but it was hardly designed to be read in one sitting either. Maybe saying that it made me look at the crime genre a different way means that I need to read more--but there you go.

Comment

• I have just finished Planetary volume IV, by Warren Ellis and David Cassaday. It was actually issued here bimonthly on the last months which culminated with this issue. Spectacular, fantastic... One of the best things I read....

Last edited by zlogdan; 06-01-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Bought a copy of January Jones: Het Graf van de Zeppelin, last week. I really like this series. A nice retro (think Tintin), almost diesel punk strip. With well drawn, unlikely but historically accurate, airplanes and in this one an altogether unlikely, but fun, Zeppelin-aircraft carrier. Featuring a guest star appearance from Nikola Tesla.

Just have to love the plucky female lead, pilot January Jones. Along with her fellow Nederlander, Franka, two of my favourite comic heroines.

Comment

• Six months into 2014 (nearly) and my pull list pretty much looks like this:
              • Jirni v2 (Aspen)
              • The Shadow: Midnight Over Moscow (Dynamite)
              • Satellite Sam (Image)
              • Velvet (Image)
              • The Fuse (Image)
              • The Wicked + The Divine (Image)
              • The Superannuated Man (Image)
              • Moon Knight (Marvel)
              • Original Sin (Marvel)
              • Loki: Agent of Asgard* (Marvel)
              • Ms Marvel* (Marvel)
              • Magneto* (Marvel)
              • The Amazing Spider-Man* (Marvel)
              • 2000AD (Rebellion)
              • The Unwritten Apocalypse (Vertigo)
              • Sandman Overture (Vertigo)

I don't think I've ever had so many Marvel titles or so few (well, none in fact) DC comics on order at once.

*for my daughter
              Last edited by David Mosley; 06-09-2014, 03:41 AM. Reason: Updated pull list
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• From the coffers of Comic Book Plus. com, I offer for your perusal, a copy of Frankenstein Issue #1 (1945)

A humorous magazine of some worth.

Comment

• I have bought the last two volumes of Children of the Sea

http://comicsalliance.com/children-o...suke-igarashi/

This series is stunning and shows me that there is some great Manga out there. I only see the books in the library and with the exception of Doll, the majority are for the younger members of the library.

The black and white artwork is incredible and the story is clever (so far up to volume 3). The cover and colour pages are superb. Highly recommended.
                  Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• I received the first issue of Ted McKeever's new six-part series, The Superannuated Man, this weekend. I've long admired not only McKeever's artwork (perhaps not to everyone's taste and arguably out of fashion in the New52/Marvel Now Age of Comics; which maybe why recently his work can't be found at either of the Big Two) but also his off-kilter way of looking at the world - especially series like Eddy Current, Plastic Forks and Metropol.* Superannuated may not be (probably isn't given the scenario) taking place in the same 'McKeeverse' as the aforementioned comics but it's an extremely accessible first issue and I'm interested in finding out what's in store for the last human, HE, in the rest of the series.

*Since McKeever moved to publishing through Image Comics I've unfortunately lost touch with his recent output; I bought Meta4 in trade but found it difficult to get into, though that might have had something to do with the smaller format of said trade.
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Picked up a used copy of El Diablo by Brian Azzarelo. Although I cannot say it was bad, it was not actually good enough to put him in the Olympus where Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, J.M De Matteis, Warren Ellis or Will Eisner stand. I cannot even rival him with great comic writers like Garth Ennis or Bryan Talbot or even think he is as good as someone like Grant Morrisson, who has written some good stuff in middle of lots of sub crap art.

edit: forgot to mention that I am reading Watchmen for the Nth time, but the first in English.
                      Last edited by zlogdan; 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Here are the main titles I collect now. I collected as a kid, but this list pertains to when I started collecting again around age 18, 8 years ago now.

anything adapting anything by Michael Moorcock (my favorites are by First Comics from the 1980's)

Conan the Barbarian (mostly Marvel but some Dark Horse)

Kull the Conqueror / Kull the Destroyer (Marvel)

The Mighty Thor (Marvel)

Arak, Son of Thunder (DC)

Claw the Unconquered (DC)

any Flash Gordon that I happen to come across

any John Carter (Warlord of Mars) that I happen to come across

most Star Wars that I happen to come across

most Star Trek that I happen to come across

Hawkman (DC)

What If...? (Marvel)

Battlestar Galactica (1970's Marvel)
                        "When the Eleatics denied motion, Diogenes, as everyone knows, came forward as an opponent. He literally did come forward, because he did not say a word but merely paced back and forth a few times, thereby assuming that he had sufficiently refuted them."
                        - Sّren Kierkegaard

Comment

• Ghost in The Shell

Yet another lucky find for me from the boxes of my old books : Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell 2 Man - Machine Interface. I'll read it when not in the mood for writing but highly useful 'grist for my mill' regardless. Great in every department, this graphic novel is!
                          Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

• Today it was father`s day in Brazil and my kids gave me exactly what I wanted for the day: Mark Millar's "Superior"! Pretty good stuff.

Well, I may have pointed the comics to my kids at the bookstore and pretended not to see what they were doing next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
                              Yet another lucky find for me from the boxes of my old books : Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell 2 Man - Machine Interface. I'll read it when not in the mood for writing but highly useful 'grist for my mill' regardless. Great in every department, this graphic novel is!
                              An excellent book, takes a lot of attention and concentration to get through due ot the insane amount of information on every page, almot as good as the first book. Have you read Ghost in the shell 1.5? It's pretty good too, more police-procedural stuff, not much Motoko in it.

I just finished reading God is Dead: The Book of Acts, the Alan Moore strip is wonderful.
                              I'm also reading Miracleman: A Dream of Flying. It is book one of Alan Moore's run on the story, his name isn't printed on the book, I guess because he hates Marvel.

Comment

• After sometime ( 35 days ) my copy of Alan Moore's and Eddie Campbell From Hell arrived yesterday. Read prologue and first chapter. Really liked it a lot.
                                Campbell's art is incredible...

Comment

Working...
                                X