Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by KevJo View Post
    I am coming across images and whole issues that I remember from my childhood - but I was never able to collect all of the titles. In those days you were at the mercy of whatever the local newsagent happened to have in stock, and the idea of a collecting consecutive issues of four different titles wasn't possible. So I am finding it hugely nostalgic.
    I hear you, brother - I remember walking miles on cold winter evenings from one end of Chorley to the other to trawl through the diverse comic offerings in the town's newsagents.

Things became a lot more convenient from 1985, when I got a Saturday job and could make regular visits to the (now-defunct?) Odyssey Seven comic shop in Manchesterford.

(I still can't pass through Manchester Victoria station without happy memories of how much anticipation and pleasure those comic-shop expeditions used to give me - and a pang of nostalgic sadness that it's so much harder in later life to generate the same sort of excitement about stuff.)

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    For the past few months I seem to have been accumulating comics without getting round to reading many of them!

Anyway, here's my current sort-of-pull-list:
    • Hellblazer
    • DMZ
    • Sweet Tooth
    • Powers
    • Casanova
    • Joe the Barbarian
    • Love and Rockets (even if it is only annual!)
    • Bulletproof Coffin
    • Meta 4 (Ted McKeever)
    • The Unwritten
    • Incognito: Bad Influence

Leave a comment:

• KevJo
    replied
    Just finished the final volume of Rex Mundi, which I have really enjoyed. An alternate universe in which the Catholic church rules supreme (reminded me of Luther Arkwright a bit) and where a politician slowly rises to become a Hitler-like demagogue and plunges Europe into war, with lashings of 'Holy Blood and Holy Grail' type conspiracy stuff thrown in for good measure.

I have just made a start on the four volumes of Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, and already I am coming across images and whole issues that I remember from my childhood - but I was never able to collect all of the titles. In those days you were at the mercy of whatever the local newsagent happened to have in stock, and the idea of a collecting consecutive issues of four different titles wasn't possible. So I am finding it hugely nostalgic.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Yeah, I just dropped:
    Uncanny X-Men
    X-Men Legacy
    X-Factor
    New Mutants
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Azrael

Which leaves me only with the Thunderbolts.
    My problem (primarily with Marvel) is that there are too many crossovers. Necrosha was immediately followed by Second Coming, and EVERY X title combines into it. It's like having to collect 8 subscriptions a month to get a single story, which is not what I am after.

What happened to the days when comic books were stories where good guys fought bad guys, and you totally freaked out because when there was a guest appearance, you had waited two years for it?

So I'm taking a break from comics.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I've just dropped Wonder Woman (from #600), Power Girl (from #12) - both due to changing creators - and Batman Confidential (I dinnae mean to buy it for this long but there were one or two decent stories) but also added the new Zatanna on-going to go alongside my regular Standing Order.

The current highlight of the comics month is Peter Milligan's Hellblazer, which has had a very strong run recently - with some v. impressive (and subtle) interior art from Simon Bisley - but which is about to go wildcrazyapeshitman with the return of

Leave a comment:

• Bleddyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Originally posted by Bleddyn View Post
    I have collected all the Elric Comics and graphic novels ..... I am hoping for a son. My youngest daughter is very respectful and loves looking at them them too.. I hope they are in to miniature wargaming and Pen and Paper RPG's as well. Its cheaper than Outward Bound I found out.
    My daughter tried the RPG and failed and is on to the outward bound.
    Outward Bound is still good it instills self relience!

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by Bleddyn View Post
    I have collected all the Elric Comics and graphic novels ..... I am hoping for a son. My youngest daughter is very respectful and loves looking at them them too.. I hope they are in to miniature wargaming and Pen and Paper RPG's as well. Its cheaper than Outward Bound I found out.
    My daughter tried the RPG and failed and is on to the outward bound.

Leave a comment:

• Bleddyn
    replied
    My wife is pregnant

Leave a comment:

• Chris T
    replied
    Some of the more memorable stuff I've been reading

Orc Stain
    Possibly my favourite of the new comics coming out now. This is great (re)imagining of Orc society and quite possibly the best one I've ever encountered. A great Fantasy comic.

Nemesis the Warlock
    Wow - just wow. I'm keen to get vol. 2 soon.

Sparta USA
    Usually I'm more of an Art person when it comes to comics but in this case the story elevates the somewhat sketchy art in this series. It manages to combine the barmy with the relevant/topical rather well.

Criminal
    Continuing my Ed Brubaker kick I bought all the trades in this series in the space of a couple of weeks. No 3 was perhaps the most impressive. I'm keen to check out the new one.

100 Bullets
    Following from the above I checked out this first volume of this one hoping to get some more noir-ish, pulpy crime comics a la Criminal. Some of the stuff happeining in the panels seems too busy and unnecessary and unrelated to the main story: eg. a helicopter attack on a building in the background (huh?). I rather enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I should stick with the whole series. I'm sure I'll get another couple of volumes though. Any opinions?

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    http://www.bluewaterprod.com/news/fe...i_thatcher.php

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Picked up some thing I had not heard of before called Mezolith by Ben Haggary and Adam Brockbank for £10.00. Looks a great production. Link below.

http://www.davidficklingbooks.co.uk/index.asp

Also found a free PDF version of a French comics zine, which I can get the 'gist' of with my poor french. Definitely worth getting hold of.

http://www.zoolemag.com/

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    Just read the first two books of Gّdland - Casey and Scioli. Great fun and a good revisiting of a Kirbesque stylistic without being a dull 60/70s pastiche. The usual issues with what to do with a truly super-powerful hero are clearly there (what excuse this time as to why this rumble didn't end in 1 millisecond?) but its still well worth the read.
    Fun but no must-have.
    'Cept I must now get books three and four...
    It's been quite a wait, but finally Godland Celestial Edition Volume 2 is about to hit the shelves. Pre-order in and soon the wait will be over!

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWolf359
    replied
    Captain America Reborn
    The Siege
    The Flash
    Lady Death
    Vampirella

Leave a comment:

• dasNdanger
    replied
    Yeah, not sure how I'm gonna like the 'heroic' age. I love Wolverine, who's never exactly been a squeaky clean hero. I have really enjoyed the gray area characters, and don't want a bunch of 'Superman' characters at Marvel. It's bad enough they have Scott Summers.

That said, I really haven't looked forward (in time) to what's coming out (I REALLY need to start picking up Previews, or something). There is, however, one book I have heard about, and I'm thrilled! Just can't wait for: Astonishing Spider-Man/Wolverine, with Jason Aaron (I believe) writing. If there was one on-going team-up book I'd love to see, it's one with these two together - they just have great chemistry. I'm not sure how long this series is supposed to run, but it's one I'd gladly pick up, even if I have to sacrifice another title or two.

das

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Grrrrr....

This new Heroic Age Marvel is doing.
    Don`t get me wrong, I like the idea of going back to having good guys and bad guys. What I hate is when a writer says, "Well, I liked it when such-and-such was a bad guy, so I want to ignore the last 10 years of comics and make this character a bad guy again."

Mainly I am talking about Baron Zemo, one of my favorite characters in comics, the reason Thunderbolts became my favorite comic. Brubaker is turning him back into a nazi, effectively ignoring the character`s long road to redemption that Nicieza told over many years.

I am not happy about this at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X