Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMP
    replied
    Sharon Webb's Earth Song Triad

I just finished re-reading Earth Child, Earth Song, and Ram Song all by Sharon Webb. These were written in the early to mid 1980s. Did anyone else read/remember them?

Leave a comment:

• opaloka
    replied
    Started getting season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The writing is most excellent. The art is... not exactly

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I just found out (with my latest shipment of comics) that Greek Street and Madame Xanadu have both been cancelled (GS as of now, MX from the next issue). I also see that Morrigan Snort is off Batman and Robin, so with my other recent cancellations I'll be down to just:

2000AD (sub)
    Judge Dredd Megazine (sub)
    Hellblazer
    glamourpuss
    R.E.B.E.L.S.
    The Unwritten
    Hellblazer: City of Demons (didn't actually request this but it's only five issues so I'll let it slide)
    DMZ (in trades)

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    I did know the owner of Odyssey 7 in the early 80s briefly, as I worked for another comic dealer at marts in Manchester and Liverpool.

I did visit the Corn Exchange shop, rather pokey. The IRA bomb was good for Manchester in that it. There were improvements to the Arndale and the other 'neglect' parts between Victoria and Piccadilly stations were used for temporary shop. Odyssey 7 sold out to Forbidden Planet and FP shop is in Oldham Street for the last few years. Not bad, two floors with books, toys and RPG stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Did you go up to the odyssey 7 shop near the Uni?

There use to be a second hand book/comic/magazine shop at the back of the print works in one of the old buildings - probably gone now. Had a lot of SF/Fantasy books. A couple near the cathedral. Also England's Glory?
    Yeah, it was the one in the university precinct. I remember heading off there for a Chris Claremont signing the night before my English A-level in 1984. (Sadly, my much-loved copies of X-Men 135-137 and 141-142 got lost somewhere over the past 25 years.)

They had another shop, which I think was the book and magazine centre, in a basement in the Corn Exchange. I think it was badly damaged by the bomb in 1996. I was there a couple of years ago - sadly the shop had gone.

Now I come to think of it, didn't Odyssey 7 use a Rodney Matthews image of Elric on their bags? I've had a quick whizz through Google Images and can't spot it.
    Last edited by Tom Murphy; 11-10-2010, 12:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Originally posted by KevJo View Post
    I am coming across images and whole issues that I remember from my childhood - but I was never able to collect all of the titles. In those days you were at the mercy of whatever the local newsagent happened to have in stock, and the idea of a collecting consecutive issues of four different titles wasn't possible. So I am finding it hugely nostalgic.
    I hear you, brother - I remember walking miles on cold winter evenings from one end of Chorley to the other to trawl through the diverse comic offerings in the town's newsagents.

Things became a lot more convenient from 1985, when I got a Saturday job and could make regular visits to the (now-defunct?) Odyssey Seven comic shop in Manchesterford.

(I still can't pass through Manchester Victoria station without happy memories of how much anticipation and pleasure those comic-shop expeditions used to give me - and a pang of nostalgic sadness that it's so much harder in later life to generate the same sort of excitement about stuff.)
    So do I, Tom.

I still remember where I found certain issues - New Gods no 10, the one with Bug and couldn't make head or toe of it. Did you go up to the odyssey 7 shop near the Uni?

There use to be a second hand book/comic/magazine shop at the back of the print works in one of the old buildings - probably gone now. Had a lot of SF/Fantasy books. A couple near the cathedral. Also England's Glory?

Leave a comment:

• dasNdanger
    replied
    Wow...my list is ever-changing.

Right now I am reading:

Sweets (a mini, and the best book on the shelves right now)
    Secret Six (I ADORE Ragdoll!)
    Casanova
    CowboyNinjaViking
    Avengers
    New Avengers
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Invicible Iron Man
    Iron Man Legacy
    Wolverine
    Dakin:Dark Wolverine
    X-23
    Uncanny X-Force
    Astonishing X-Men

And various minis and one-shots, mostly those featuring Wolverine. I will probably be dropping the Avengers books (since reading Secret Six, I find the Avengers a bit...lack-luster), and Spider-Man (getting bored with it). I have to cut back because this is turning into an expensive habit. I'm not thrilled with Wolverine right now because it's all 'he's in Hell and demons are trying to kill everyone he loves' thing...which just isn't my cuppa. Wolverine and the supernatural has never been a comfortable fit to me. I much rather see Wolverine roaming the countryside, killing murderous rednecks and poachers and outlaw bikers...stuff like that.

Anyway, that's about it. The two books I really look forward to each month are Sweets (a New Orleans 'police procedural' in the days just before Katrina strikes), and Secret Six, though I am really enjoying Casanova, too. Also, Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis has been a real hoot - lots of fun - and I have big hopes for Uncanny X-Force...I really like the new team line-up, especially with Fantomex joining them now.

das

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    Originally posted by KevJo View Post
    I am coming across images and whole issues that I remember from my childhood - but I was never able to collect all of the titles. In those days you were at the mercy of whatever the local newsagent happened to have in stock, and the idea of a collecting consecutive issues of four different titles wasn't possible. So I am finding it hugely nostalgic.
    I hear you, brother - I remember walking miles on cold winter evenings from one end of Chorley to the other to trawl through the diverse comic offerings in the town's newsagents.

Things became a lot more convenient from 1985, when I got a Saturday job and could make regular visits to the (now-defunct?) Odyssey Seven comic shop in Manchesterford.

(I still can't pass through Manchester Victoria station without happy memories of how much anticipation and pleasure those comic-shop expeditions used to give me - and a pang of nostalgic sadness that it's so much harder in later life to generate the same sort of excitement about stuff.)

Leave a comment:

• Tom Murphy
    replied
    For the past few months I seem to have been accumulating comics without getting round to reading many of them!

Anyway, here's my current sort-of-pull-list:
    • Hellblazer
    • DMZ
    • Sweet Tooth
    • Powers
    • Casanova
    • Joe the Barbarian
    • Love and Rockets (even if it is only annual!)
    • Bulletproof Coffin
    • Meta 4 (Ted McKeever)
    • The Unwritten
    • Incognito: Bad Influence

Leave a comment:

• KevJo
    replied
    Just finished the final volume of Rex Mundi, which I have really enjoyed. An alternate universe in which the Catholic church rules supreme (reminded me of Luther Arkwright a bit) and where a politician slowly rises to become a Hitler-like demagogue and plunges Europe into war, with lashings of 'Holy Blood and Holy Grail' type conspiracy stuff thrown in for good measure.

I have just made a start on the four volumes of Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, and already I am coming across images and whole issues that I remember from my childhood - but I was never able to collect all of the titles. In those days you were at the mercy of whatever the local newsagent happened to have in stock, and the idea of a collecting consecutive issues of four different titles wasn't possible. So I am finding it hugely nostalgic.

Leave a comment:

• J-Sun
    replied
    Yeah, I just dropped:
    Uncanny X-Men
    X-Men Legacy
    X-Factor
    New Mutants
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Azrael

Which leaves me only with the Thunderbolts.
    My problem (primarily with Marvel) is that there are too many crossovers. Necrosha was immediately followed by Second Coming, and EVERY X title combines into it. It's like having to collect 8 subscriptions a month to get a single story, which is not what I am after.

What happened to the days when comic books were stories where good guys fought bad guys, and you totally freaked out because when there was a guest appearance, you had waited two years for it?

So I'm taking a break from comics.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I've just dropped Wonder Woman (from #600), Power Girl (from #12) - both due to changing creators - and Batman Confidential (I dinnae mean to buy it for this long but there were one or two decent stories) but also added the new Zatanna on-going to go alongside my regular Standing Order.

The current highlight of the comics month is Peter Milligan's Hellblazer, which has had a very strong run recently - with some v. impressive (and subtle) interior art from Simon Bisley - but which is about to go wildcrazyapeshitman with the return of

Leave a comment:

• Bleddyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Pebble View Post
    Originally posted by Bleddyn View Post
    I have collected all the Elric Comics and graphic novels ..... I am hoping for a son. My youngest daughter is very respectful and loves looking at them them too.. I hope they are in to miniature wargaming and Pen and Paper RPG's as well. Its cheaper than Outward Bound I found out.
    My daughter tried the RPG and failed and is on to the outward bound.
    Outward Bound is still good it instills self relience!

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by Bleddyn View Post
    I have collected all the Elric Comics and graphic novels ..... I am hoping for a son. My youngest daughter is very respectful and loves looking at them them too.. I hope they are in to miniature wargaming and Pen and Paper RPG's as well. Its cheaper than Outward Bound I found out.
    My daughter tried the RPG and failed and is on to the outward bound.

Leave a comment:

• Bleddyn
    replied
    My wife is pregnant

Leave a comment:

Working...
X