Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just keeps getting better (ie worse): the Batwoman creative team are being kicked off the title after their next issue (#24) and replaced with a new writer rather than letting them finish their story. DC editorial's douchebagness is complete. Really wondering whether I can keep buying DC comics after this.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• I have been amazed at the poor quality of DC N52. Some of us will remember the DC implosion from some years old and it is starting to look to go the same way. It almost has the whiff of Marvel's New Universe about it. I have only been reading the paperbacks from the library and nothing stands out that I can remember off the top of my head.

Just finished the Icelandic Trilogy, which was fantastic. Great story telling, great artwork. It really did have the favour of the period. Also read Comeback, didn't have high expectations to begin, but another great read. Art good, but the colourist, Jordie Bellaire is stunning.
      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• I'm a fan of Bellaire's work, too. The best example of it I've seen so far has been in the Image book Nowhere Men. Issue 6 is allegedly shipping in a few weeks, but I'm not holding my breath: it's been 5 months since no. 5 came out.

And on another positive note, Chris "The Balance Lost" Roberson has been cranking out a slew of series for Dynamite Entertainment this year. I've enjoyed his work on The Shadow and Masks and I just picked up the first issue of the new 6-parter Codename: Action the other night--it's the best yet of a good lot (it's tightly plotted, funny and retrospective sans nostalgia). He also has a Doc Savage title starting with DE in December.

Comment

• I couldn't decide what to get at the comic shop on the weekend so I got the first trade of Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men.

So glad I did!

It's got everything you want in a comic, let alone an X-Men comic:
          • Cyclops being a dick (maybe I haven't been noticing but more X-Men writers need to embrace his essential dickishness—he's a lovable dick here);
          • Beast vs Wolverine smackdown (is this a first? you'd think think something so obvious would have been done before) and
          • corny repartee!

Nice one.

Comment

• I treated my daughter to the first eight issues of Brian Bendis' Avengers Assemble! thanks to a 50% sale on Comixology yesterday. Largely because she's a big fan of the Marvel Avengers Assemble movie and it seems like the sort of thing she'll like. Had a look at the first issue on the iPad and I think (hope) she's going to get a real kick out of it.

It's kind of odd that my daughter is turning into a Marvel fan when I've pretty much been a DC devotee most of my comic collecting life. But I suppose that's what happens when Marvel manage to nail their superhero movie franchise whereas based on their current performance DC would have trouble organising the proverbial piss-up in a brewery.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
              It's kind of odd that my daughter is turning into a Marvel fan when I've pretty much been a DC devotee most of my comic collecting life. But I suppose that's what happens when Marvel manage to nail their superhero movie franchise whereas based on their current performance DC would have trouble organising the proverbial piss-up in a brewery.
              Yet DC had a head start on the movie franchise, but it does not seem to have a permanent effect or give DC a head start. Could it be down to the characters? I am intrigued at how Marvel are developing under Disney tutelage. Both Pebble Major and Minor have little interest in superheroes, but will read Manga and non superhero titles. Admittedly, I was more impressed with X-men First class then the original trilogy or have the studio understood the story dynamics better?

Mrs Pebble and I watched Iron Man 3, which she enjoyed greatly from not really being interested. I suspect that Marvel retain the better characters, that add more depth to the story.

Incidentally, second episode of Agents of Shield was better and the internal links between films is also a great way to enhance the films and show. I think Tarantino used this in his films with an internal consistency?
              Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

• I'm enjoyed the first issue of the new Ennis dog series Rover Red Charlie. I loved Beast of Burden so I'm probably the target market for this kind of thing.

That comic about Sparta and the Helots, Three, is brilliant.

The only new superhero action comics I'm reading is the new Byrne sereis Triple Helix. Not bad. Much better than that spy comic he did (not good).

Also catching up on more Berserk. I love this manga.

Comment

• my download of MM comic books is nearly finished. might get em all in time for Xmas read. new Years for sure. Any tips on a reading order?

Comment

• Originally posted by irontoad View Post
                    Any tips on a reading order?
                    I guess it depends which MM comics you've downloaded, doesn't it?

Comment

• Got a few ones for Christmas:

Alan Moore "Tom Strong" absolute editions 1 and 2. Hard packs.
                      J. M Stracyznski "The Amazing Spider Man" ( early first editions reissued in hardcover ) - for only 4 US dollars
                      De Matteis "Kraven's Last Hunt" , reissued in a hardcover edition

Pictures:

Last edited by zlogdan; 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM.
                      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• And I forgot to mention that incredible comics "Planetary Volume 1" by Warren Ellis, being reissued here finally, the whole thing! WOW

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                        Got a few ones for Christmas:

Alan Moore "Tom Strong" absolute editions 1 and 2. Hard packs.
                        J. M Stracyznski "The Amazing Spider Man" ( early first editions reissued in hardcover ) - for only 4 US dollars
                        De Matteis "Kraven's Last Hunt" , reissued in a hardcover edition

Pictures:

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Here are the pictures of Planetary Volumes 1 and 2

I had bought, sometime ago the old volume 3. It will save me some money right ?

I loved the thing. Prefaces by Alan Moore and Joss Wheadon.

Comment

• My current pull list in 2014 now looks like:
                            • 2000AD
                            • Animal Man (series cancelled in March '14)
                            • The Unwritten Apocalypse
                            • Sandman Overture
                            • Satellite Sam
                            • Velvet
                            • Loki Agent of Asgard (for my daughter)
                            • Ms Marvel (for my daughter)

ETA:
                            • The Fuse
                            • Hawkeye (in digital back issues whenever there's a sale!)

I'm also buying back issues of Young Avengers (v2) for my daughter (big [Kid] Loki fan that she is!).
                            Last edited by David Mosley; 02-13-2014, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• I recently bought copies of the collected parts 4 of both, Buffy tVS (season 9) and Angel & Faith. Both series have perked up no end. A&F is an especially satisfying read. Looking forward to the concluding chapters, when they come out, next month.

Comment

• If you like comics, pulps, strips, printed ephemera and etc., you might enjoy these.

http://comicbookplus.com/

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

There are some real gems, early Kirby, Ditko and etc. tucked away in there.

These British efforts are really worth checking out:

http://comicbookplus.com/?cid=270

Especially the Lion comics.

Hours of fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X